Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support for a friend

Affidavit of support for a friend

Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all
Default Affidavit of support for a friend

Hello,

A friend of mine is asking me to fill an I-134 Affidavit of support for her dad in Pakistan. I have known her for quite a while now. She does not have enough income earned to support her dad herself so she asking me if i can be the Joint sponsor.
I want to know what are the risks of doing this? The form says that i would be supporting the person for 3 years, does that mean i would end up paying hospital bills if he goes to hospital and doesnt pay himself or any thing like that? just a bit concerned about it... Please help!

Thanks,

Sanna
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support for a friend

Originally Posted by carpdiem
Hello,

A friend of mine is asking me to fill an I-134 Affidavit of support for her dad in Pakistan. I have known her for quite a while now. She does not have enough income earned to support her dad herself so she asking me if i can be the Joint sponsor.
I want to know what are the risks of doing this? The form says that i would be supporting the person for 3 years, does that mean i would end up paying hospital bills if he goes to hospital and doesnt pay himself or any thing like that? just a bit concerned about it... Please help!

Thanks,

Sanna
Hi Sanna,

It would mean you would be the 2nd person responsible for covering any means-tested benefits he might apply for. I don't think hospital bills are included in that. Also, as far as I know, the I-134 is not a legally binding contract, but the I-864 is. I'd be more concerned if it was an I-864 rather than an I-134. Is this for a visitor visa for her dad?

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

carpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to allcarpdiem is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Sanna,

It would mean you would be the 2nd person responsible for covering any means-tested benefits he might apply for. I don't think hospital bills are included in that. Also, as far as I know, the I-134 is not a legally binding contract, but the I-864 is. I'd be more concerned if it was an I-864 rather than an I-134. Is this for a visitor visa for her dad?

Rene
Thanks Rene. This is for an immigration visa. She sponsered her dad. I am not sure if its I-134 or I-864.....

-Sana
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carpdiem
Thanks Rene. This is for an immigration visa. She sponsered her dad. I am not sure if its I-134 or I-864.....

-Sana
If it's for an immigrant visa, it's most likely the I-864. If that's the case (make sure you find out!), I'd be more wary of getting involved, unless you don't mind being legally financially responsible for your friend's dad for a very long time. It IS a legally binding contract between you and the US government. You might want to even check it out with an immigration attorney, as to its implications. This will be for his immigrant visa, so there won't even be a chance later on to remove your name from being his sponsor (as in an AOS case).

Just be careful.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If it's for an immigrant visa, it's most likely the I-864. If that's the case (make sure you find out!), I'd be more wary of getting involved, unless you don't mind being legally financially responsible for your friend's dad for a very long time. It IS a legally binding contract between you and the US government. You might want to even check it out with an immigration attorney, as to its implications. This will be for his immigrant visa, so there won't even be a chance later on to remove your name from being his sponsor (as in an AOS case).

Just be careful.

Best Wishes,
Rene
To add its a 3 way obligation, the Father can claim support from you as the joint Sponsor.