put 2/7/04. So she crossed 2/7/04 out on the front of his AP paperwork
and wrote 8/3/03 in. She said they had put the wrong date at the
tunnel, but not to worry "because you can apply to extend it". I
thought that the AP was usually good for one year, and bit my lip from
saying, "yeah, and pay another $87!" Anyway, the only drawback is that
we will probably have to go to the secondary inspection every time we
cross the border, a small price to pay to be able to visit Sergio's
family. One amusing if sad note, in this age of heightened security:
after they processed Serge's AP, the agent said, "and you are?" to me.
I said I was his wife, a USC, and she said "okay". No checking of
paperwork or asking for ID. Our crack border security at work. :-)

As of today, it's been 6 weeks since our AOS interview in Detroit and
still no approval letter. Kristin

Old Feb 17th 2003, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance Parole info

Speaking as a Yank married to a Canadian, we've had two years of experience with advance parole and the Can/Am border. The first agent was wrong in paroling your husband pass the time allowed on the A/P. It is only good for as long as INS has deemed it so on the paperwork. And yes, if your adjustment takes longer have August, 2003 he will need to get a new one and the cost will be the old cost or more as Congress is expected to reinstate the old fees by 2/21.

Really surprised about a second secondary inspection. Unless the agent saw there was a problem with the dates written, Jim had only to go through secondard once for each new A/P, only showing his passport and A/P to the drive-thru agent and we were free to go.

A/P is not always good for one year. It might be limited to one trip, one month, six months or up to a year. A lot depends on what you ask for, what they are willing to give and when they anticipate your adjustment interview to be. Since they limited him to 8/03 I'm thinking perhaps he will have his AOS results by that time.

Rete

Originally posted by Kristin
Just thought I would post our first two experiences using my husband's
Advance Parole to return to the US after visiting Canada. The first
trip was on Feb. 8, when we went to Windsor for a little furniture
shopping. We used the Windsor/Detroit tunnel to return, and were sent to
secondary inspection. It took about 10 minutes for my husband's
paperwork to be processed, and he was paroled until Feb. 7, 2004. They
guy we were working with was training, so another INS agent walked him
through the whole process. They checked his passport for the visa,
noted that he has been granted AP due to filing for his AOS, removed his
K-1 I-94 and issued a new I-94, and stamped his passport and the AP
paperwork.

This past weekend we finally went to Sergio's hometown of Toronto to
visit his family. We returned last night (2/16) via the Ambassador
Bridge in Detroit. We presented his paperwork at the border, and again
were sent to secondary inspection. The woman who processed us had only
one question, about the date he was paroled until. The paperwork from
the INS said he was paroled until 8/3/03, but the tunnel INS staff had
put 2/7/04. So she crossed 2/7/04 out on the front of his AP paperwork
and wrote 8/3/03 in. She said they had put the wrong date at the
tunnel, but not to worry "because you can apply to extend it". I
thought that the AP was usually good for one year, and bit my lip from
saying, "yeah, and pay another $87!" Anyway, the only drawback is that
we will probably have to go to the secondary inspection every time we
cross the border, a small price to pay to be able to visit Sergio's
family. One amusing if sad note, in this age of heightened security:

Old Feb 17th 2003, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One amusing if sad note, in this age of heightened security:

Didn't you and your husband hand the drive-thru agent your documents when you first drove up to the booth? If so, your nationality was noted and there was no reason for secondary inspection to ask for additional proof from you.

Rete
Old Feb 17th 2003, 4:42 pm
Kristin

> Didn't you and your husband hand the drive-thru agent your documents
    > when you first drove up to the booth? If so, your nationality was noted
    > and there was no reason for secondary inspection to ask for additional
    > proof from you.

Actually, no, just his. Once Serge handed the agent his AP, that was
all he looked at. Of course his first question was our citizenship,
which we both answered, but once he started working on the orange
"secondary inspection" slip he forgot to ask to see my documents (which
Serge was dangling out of the window in -10 degree weather!). It was
more amusing to me that the agent at the secondary inspection took my
word for it that I was a USC, but then again, she did have his AOS
paperwork and might have noted he was pending adjustment based on
marriage, and we did say I was his wife. :-)

Thanks for clearing up the info about the AP - I will also be hopeful
that they only granted him six months because they figure he'll be
approved by then, and we won't have to pay again (and this time pay the
higher fees!). I'm not holding my breath, though.

By the way, I haven't said it often enough but thanks so much, Rete, for
all of your help on this NG. You and others have made the whole process
so much easier for us. Just as one small example, before we went across
the border the first time, I did a Google search and printed out a post
you made describing the first time Jim used his AP so we both knew what
to expect. It's such a big help to be able to see what others went
through. Kristin

Old Feb 17th 2003, 5:12 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I have a few questions about Advanced Parole too, actually, I hope someone can help out.

Last night, my wife was mulling over cruise vacation websites, as she is totally addicted to cruises, and wants to go on one this year with me, only we are unsure about AP & the INS.

Firstly, how long does Advanced Parole take to be processed based on an already pending AOS application in NYC?

The INS received our I-130 / I485 application a day before my VW expired, could I technically have overstayed in the time between them receiving the applications, and processing it?

Secondly, I'm assuming that by leaving the mainland of the US, I'll need the AP to re-enter with my wife, even if I don't step off the ship into Bermuda or Canada (or where ever we go to)?

Lastly, she was also pondering Florida or Las Vegas. Would I need AP to travel by air domestically, considering the only I-94 in my passport is my expired VW stamp.

Bleh, so many questions, I think that's everything. We'd just rather not come back from a nice second honeymoon to having my ass being banned from the country.
Thanks peeps.
Old Feb 17th 2003, 6:14 pm
Concierge

We, too, have gotten A/Ps from New York City INS. However, we differ from you in that our A/P application was originally sent with the AOS petitions. The second A/P, of course, was a stand alone and you send a copy of the old one with it along with a copy of your register receipt. Both times we had the appointment letter to pick it up within sixty days for a time 30 days in the future.

Don't know what NYC timeline for A/P is these days. But would assume 60 to 90 days approximately.

If you want to travel anytime this year, I would definitely apply for it asap to ensure that you have it in hand when you are ready to go.

Rete

Originally posted by nathan barley
I have a few questions about Advanced Parole too, actually, I hope someone can help out.

Last night, my wife was mulling over cruise vacation websites, as she is totally addicted to cruises, and wants to go on one this year with me, only we are unsure about AP & the INS.

Firstly, how long does Advanced Parole take to be processed based on an already pending AOS application in NYC?

The INS received our I-130 / I485 application a day before my VW expired, could I technically have overstayed in the time between them receiving the applications, and processing it?

Secondly, I'm assuming that by leaving the mainland of the US, I'll need the AP to re-enter with my wife, even if I don't step off the ship into Bermuda or Canada (or where ever we go to)?

Lastly, she was also pondering Florida or Las Vegas. Would I need AP to travel by air domestically, considering the only I-94 in my passport is my expired VW stamp.

Bleh, so many questions, I think that's everything. We'd just rather not come back from a nice second honeymoon to having my ass being banned from the country.
Thanks peeps.
Old Feb 17th 2003, 6:21 pm
Concierge

[ You and others have made the whole process
so much easier for us. Just as one small example, before we went across
the border the first time, I did a Google search and printed out a post
you made describing the first time Jim used his AP so we both knew what
to expect. It's such a big help to be able to see what others went
through. Kristin
Isn't it great to be able gauge what to anticipate by the experience of others. I find it helpful and am reading all the naturalization posts others put up for when Jim applies in May.

We have a set thing when we cross the Can/Am border. We open both passports and piggy back them and in the center would slip Jim's A/P or now we put his green card. Wonder what Jim will do when we cross the border for the first time and he is a US citizen as well as a Canadian. It never failed but since we cross Canada into Quebec Province our agent is always French/Canadian and gives Jim a hard time before he is allowed to drive back into his own country. Actually didn't think of it until recently that perhaps it is not a hard time for Jim but that they want to be sure that Jim is not returning to Canada to live and dragging his Yank wife with him without proper documentation. Forget the border works both ways for immigration processing.

Rete
Old Feb 17th 2003, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think it would be stupid for you to have a travel document to travel domestically, as what if you move, vacation, etc? I think you only need to show picture ID when you travel domestically as you are not crossing any borders...
Old Feb 17th 2003, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by nathan barley

It is safe to assume you have overstayed our VW. Even though mailed the day before its expiration, receipt at the mailroom does not necessarily constitute acceptance of your petition. That might have occurred a week or two after receipt. What is the date on your cash register receipt?

A question for you, why would you want to take a cruise of the Caribbean or Canada and not leave the ship? What if something happens and your ship must be evacuated? Better to have the document and be assured of your "safe" return and adjustment then to worry.

As for travel within the boundaries of the US, your driver's license should be sufficient for proof of identification.

If you are going to apply for A/P, do it quickly before the rates go up.

Rete
Old Feb 18th 2003, 2:52 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Rete
It is safe to assume you have overstayed your VW. Even though mailed the day before its expiration, receipt at the mailroom does not necessarily constitute acceptance of your petition. That might have occurred a week or two after receipt. What is the date on your cash register receipt?
Didn't get a receipt from them. The checks were cashed around the 15th though. They received it on the 7th, VW expired 8th.

Due to the delay between them receiving and processing/approving the petition, would I have any problems re-entering with AP? Or are bars on entry only applied to overstays beyond 180 days?

A question for you, why would you want to take a cruise of the Caribbean or Canada and not leave the ship? What if something happens and your ship must be evacuated? Better to have the document and be assured of your "safe" return and adjustment then to worry.
I was thinking that too.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 10:24 pm
Kirk

"nathan barley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Secondly, I'm assuming that by leaving the mainland of the US, I'll need
    > the AP to re-enter with my wife, even if I don't step off the ship into
    > Bermuda or Canada (or where ever we go to)?

They don't know if you got off the ship or not. They just know that you are
trying to get back in.

Also, you might need separate visas for what ever country/island you visit.