Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

About to start the I-130 process

About to start the I-130 process

Old May 16th 2023, 7:19 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to start the I-130 process

Originally Posted by DerekB1972
Thanks for that overview, we've got the I-130 & I-130A completed (although we'll be submitting online it was helpful to go through the application in advance) and ready to submit once our marriage certificate arrives, once submitted I'll start getting all of the required documentation ready for the second step, this forum (and the people on it) have been very helpful and reading other posts along with the CIS services website have provided a lot of information, however with so much information at hand I sometimes confuse myself lol

Thanks again

Derek
It can be confusing. One small but appreciable referral source when I was in practice was from attorneys in general practice who believed it was “just filling out forms” only to give up in confusion.

Good luck.
Old May 18th 2023, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

DerekB1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

I-130, I-130A & documents all submitted, thanks very much for all of the help.

We only supplied our council tax bill as evidence of living together as that's all we have, we had the option of letters from friends but didn't include these (don't actually have any at hand but could get some if it would help), will there be any issues only having a council tax bill as proof we live together?

Thanks again
Derek
Old May 18th 2023, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I-130, I-130A & documents all submitted, thanks very much for all of the help.

We only supplied our council tax bill as evidence of living together as that's all we have, we had the option of letters from friends but didn't include these (don't actually have any at hand but could get some if it would help), will there be any issues only having a council tax bill as proof we live together?

Thanks again
Derek
You obtained a fiance visa and then married in April/May of this year if I remember correctly. Your marriage certificate is going to be the most important document for your next visa. As you are newly married HO is not looking for years of proof of living together.
Rental Agreement/mortgage docs would have been useful too.
Old May 18th 2023, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

That's correct thank you, I do have the mortgage & house documents ready for the AOS
Old May 19th 2023, 9:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That's correct thank you, I do have the mortgage & house documents ready for the AOS
I'm a bit confused as both the US and UK visa applications are referenced in this thread, but assuming you're referring to the US visa side of things, AOS isn't relevant to you. This web page breaks the process down for you step by step - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rocessing.html

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 19th 2023 at 9:50 am.
Old May 19th 2023, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm a bit confused as both the US and UK visa applications are referenced in this thread, but assuming you're referring to the US visa side of things, AOS isn't relevant to you. This web page breaks the process down for you step by step - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...rocessing.html

Good luck.
Sorry yes by AOS I meant affidavit of support at a later stage in my US application.

My US partner relocated to the UK in Jan on a fiance visa and we recently got married, we're planning on relocating to the USA once my I-130 is complete (submitted the forms and payment online yesterday) but while we wait we'll also be completing a spouse visa application in the UK so that my wife can legally stay here in the UK while the US process runs.. (basically we didn't want to get married and spend a year or more apart).

Hope that clears things

Derek

Last edited by DerekB1972; May 19th 2023 at 10:12 am.
Old May 19th 2023, 10:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry yes by AOS I meant affidavit of support at a later stage in my US application.

My US partner relocated to the UK in Jan on a fiance visa and we recently got married, we're planning on relocating to the USA once my I-130 is complete (submitted the forms yesterday) but while we wait we'll also be completing a spouse visa application in the UK so that my wife can legally stay here in the UK while the US process runs.. (basically we didn't want to get married and spend a year or more apart).

Hope that clears things

Derek
Ah! AOS = Adjustment Of Status in my head. Makes sense now.
Old May 19th 2023, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Good luck.
He is referring to the Affidavit of Support Form I-864.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Well this was a nice surprise today, the I-130 notice of action arrived in the mail (I-797C) so I thought I'd do a quick check online at the status and what was previously estimating 11 months has dropped to 5... I know anything can happen but it's brightened up what has been a naff week

Last edited by DerekB1972; Jun 7th 2023 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2023, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!

Great News!!!
Old Jul 12th 2023, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Armw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Derek

I was just reading through your thread. What date did you submit your I130 petition and how long did it take to receive any updates or indication you were moving to the next step? I'm currently going through the same process and its absolute radio silence!!

Many thanks.
Old Jul 12th 2023, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Armw
Hi Derek

I was just reading through your thread. What date did you submit your I130 petition and how long did it take to receive any updates or indication you were moving to the next step? I'm currently going through the same process and its absolute radio silence!!

Many thanks.
Hi,

We submitted the I-130 online on 18th of May (with the required documents) and the progress can be tracked immediately on the USCIS website https://my.uscis.gov/, initially it had 11.5 months as an estimate of the time until next step is completed but after 4 weeks this dropped to 5 months and now a month later is has reduced to 4 months, this however is only an estimate so as much as I'm very happy with the estimate I'm still seeing much longer estimates on https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ (which doesn't cover online applications).

At this point we're still at the first step although we received the I-797C through the post after around 3 weeks and this prompted me to check online for an update.

Regard

Derek

Last edited by DerekB1972; Jul 12th 2023 at 8:12 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2023, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Armw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond reputeArmw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Derek,

Apologies for the delayed response, I appreciate you getting back to me. That's exciting that its potentially only a 4 month wait for you! We filed via paper in March and still haven't heard anything other than receiving I-797C - currently trying to see if my sponsor(Wife!!!) is able to create an online USCIS account even if we submitted via an attorney, I'm pretty sure we can, we're just terrified of doing anything that may accidentally delay the process!

The best of luck to you.

Regards,
Ash
Old Sep 5th 2023, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

I know this is an automated countdown so I'm not getting my hopes up too much but does anyone know the current online processing times? it it likely that there'll be another 6 months wait at the end of the countdown?

Old Sep 5th 2023, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I know this is an automated countdown so I'm not getting my hopes up too much but does anyone know the current online processing times? it it likely that there'll be another 6 months wait at the end of the countdown?
This is only the first stage, so yes, there will be further processing time after this, when it's passed over to be processed at NVC and the consulate. Assuming London is your consulate, then it's pretty quick compared to others, so should be approx 4 months after your petition is approved (if you submit docs and complete the DS-260 straight away).

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.