About domicile?

Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute
Question About domicile?

So, we have our appointment in London for my British husband's USA visa...

For domicile, all we really have is semi-proof of my USA bank account, and proof we are selling our house in the UK - as of now it is in process, meaning we have a buyer, so it has not been sold, but hopefully it will be sold this week, and our appointment for the embassy is on the 21st. So, we will either have proof the sale is agreed, or proof of the sale having happened. Hopefully we will have proof of the sale being completed.

We don't have any moving quotes, and we don't really have time to get them because of our jobs. They need to come during business hours.

We have some printed information on getting our cats to the USA, and some print outs of flats we might like to rent in the USA, and I guess I can send my CV to some employment agencies... Although I'm not sure how to prove I've done that, and I fear they might contact my present employer...

Aside from that, my hubby cannot officially close his business here because he is in the middle of a large contract, and I cannot give 30 days notice at my job until we have that visa approval...

We cannot give notice on our flat until we have that visa approval. We have a month to month contract and only need to give two months notice, so I can bring that as proof we are not locked into a rental agreement, right?

Do I need some sort of 'official letter' from my USA bank confirming we have an account? I do not get paper statements. My proof is the card and the checks and all that jazz... My USA bank was extremely resistant 4 years ago when I needed stuff from them for my UK visa. Dealing with them from over here will be harder than dealing with them in person was, and trust me it was very hard. So, I'm unsure of what they will be willing to do...

For proof of an ongoing relationship, we have our leases in both our names for the 3 1/2 years in the UK. Do we need anything else? Some photos? Wedding photos?

Would all this be enough?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About domicile?

Hi WriterChick,

My wife (USC) and I are in the same boat as you guys, preparing documents ready for the interview.

For intent to domicile, all of the advice I've seen so far breaks it down into two categories: demonstrating intent to break ties in the UK, and demonstrating intent to establish ties in the US.

For documents that we have prepared for domicile intent, so far we have:
- An official letter from the Estate Agents (on headed paper) confirming the sale of our house subject to contract;
- Copies of our airline tickets to US (one way);
- Quotation for shipping costs (we're probably not going to ship anything in the end, but the quote was useful and still demonstrates intent);
- Copy of signed rental agreement in US (albeit with a family member);
- Copies of job applications for both of us in the US (bit of a long shot as we're still based here, but shows intent);
- Copy of enrolment application for our eldest in preschool;
- Copies of my wife's voting records in the US;
- Copies of my wife's US bank statements;
- Letter of resignation for job (won't actually submit this until it's time to do so, but shows intent); and
- Email correspondence with family confirming travel plans and living arrangements

Like you, we're also considered demonstrating contact with US recruiters (highly doubt they'd contact current employers in the UK). From my informal contact and correspondance I've gathered that the US recruiters won't be more serious about us until we're physically there and able to interview in person.
Hope that helps.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! That is a great list.
Most of it we cannot do...

We have this - An official letter from the Estate Agents (on headed paper) confirming the sale of our house subject to contract;
We are not buying tickets till we have the visa - Copies of our airline tickets to US (one way);
They won't come unless it is during business hours and we cannot take off from work - Quotation for shipping costs (we're probably not going to ship anything in the end, but the quote was useful and still demonstrates intent);
We are simply renting a flat, so we don't have this - Copy of signed rental agreement in US (albeit with a family member);
I guess we can do this one! - Copies of job applications for both of us in the US (bit of a long shot as we're still based here, but shows intent);
No kids, just cats - Copy of enrolment application for our eldest in preschool;
I do not have a copy of this, but I did vote - Copies of my wife's voting records in the US;
I have this - Copies of my wife's US bank statements;
I have this - Letter of resignation for job (won't actually submit this until it's time to do so, but shows intent); and
I do not have this - Email correspondence with family confirming travel plans and living arrangements

Should we be worried?!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

No, all my wife had was proof of a US bank a/c (with all of $25 in it!) Proof of keeping up US student loan payments from the UK, and printouts of job applications by email. And it was not an issue.

Domicile seems to cause far more worry than it needs to on this forum!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ahhh... So my loan deferment forms would be good to bring? Thank you! I'd not thought that!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WriterChick
We cannot give notice on our flat until we have that visa approval. We have a month to month contract and only need to give two months notice, so I can bring that as proof we are not locked into a rental agreement, right?
You really do need to start thinking outside the box. You can provide a letter indicating your intent to leave the premises. It doesn't matter that it hasn't yet been submitted.

For proof of an ongoing relationship, we have our leases in both our names for the 3 1/2 years in the UK.
You don't need proof of an ongoing relationship. Why do you think you do?

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, I don't need to prove our relationship has been ongoing? No photos, or proof we have lived together the whole time we've been in the UK?
I guess I just assumed we had to do that because the UKBA made us do it over and over and over...
We can provide that letter, and that is a good suggestion - thank you!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I don't need to prove our relationship has been ongoing? No photos, or proof we have lived together the whole time we've been in the UK?
I guess I just assumed we had to do that because the UKBA made us do it over and over and over...
We can provide that letter, and that is a good suggestion - thank you!
Look at the US Embassy London website for what they suggest bringing with you to the interview. I do believe you are supposed to bring a few things that show your bona fide marriage. If the I-130 is filed in the USA, this evidence is submitted with the I-130. London specifically says not to submit it with the I-130, and I believe you are supposed to bring it to the interview. That said, I don't think many people are actually asked to show that evidence, but bring it anyway for peace of mind.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

OK, thank you Rene!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:30 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Look, either the ConOff will be fine with it or they won't. If not, this is not what I call a "hard" denial. A hard denial is one that cannot be overcome; a soft denial is one that can be overcome.

It strikes me that OP will probably be fine and if not, it is something that can be fixed, probably in fairly short order.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Do they always ask for proof of domicile in London?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do they always ask for proof of domicile in London?
Always? No.

Ian
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Scanning through some of the more recent 'interview experiences' at the London Embassy for CR1/IR1 it doesn't look like they ask for much if anything.
However I do remember reading stories on here a couple of years ago where it became a hot topic for USCIS all of a sudden, and something that couples were putting more emphasis on for their interview preparation.

Personally, I'd rather have it and not need it than be caught short.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Scanning through some of the more recent 'interview experiences' at the London Embassy for CR1/IR1 it doesn't look like they ask for much if anything. .....
Er quite! I think I took some e-mail correspondence with a recruiter in NY, and a letter from our estate agent re selling our house, which didn't actually sell until eight months after we left the country. I don't recall having anything else re "intent to domicile", and it wasn't mention much at the interview either.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!