Reload this Page >

bwa.gb's K-1 visa questions

bwa.gb's K-1 visa questions

Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

bwa.gb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bwa.gb's K-1 visa questions

This has been incredibly useful to me.

I too am about to start the process of the fiancé visa (I live in UK and gf is USC). Bit different for us in that she is in university so she lives off student loans and a part time wage as a greeter/server in a sports bar. From this forum I understand that I can list one of her parents as a sponsor?

My obvious worries are finding a job/career in the US. I have a good job here but unfortunately my gf has to finish school and she isn't a fan of Britain so I'm looking at going to her. Family are obviously worried and upset by this but I feel like I've been provided with a lot of info here.

I do have a couple of small questions though.

1. Am I able to transfer my UK credit score to the US?
2. I have 2 years insurance experience and BTEC National Diploma in Forensic Science (3 a-levels at around grade D) - am I going to struggle to find a decent job/career?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:36 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Originally Posted by bwa.gb
1. You don't have a score.
2. No, you can't transfer your credit history with you.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bwa.gb's K-1 visa questions

This has been incredibly useful to me.
Since you have your own specific questions regarding your own individual process, I created a new thread for you.

I too am about to start the process of the fiancé visa (I live in UK and gf is USC). Bit different for us in that she is in university so she lives off student loans and a part time wage as a greeter/server in a sports bar. From this forum I understand that I can list one of her parents as a sponsor?
Not "I can list", no. One of her parents can be your sponsor by having them complete an I-134 affidavit of support and provide backup documents such as proof of US citizenship (or other US status), proof of income, and tax returns. Information is at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-134.

Keep in mind that when it comes time to adjust your status in the USA, your wife will be your sponsor (even if she doesn't qualify financially). If needed, she can use a joint sponsor, though. That affidavit of support form is I-864 (a different one than was used for the K-1 visa).

No. You will start over in the USA. We have a good Wiki Guide on this site with a guide on how to build credit in the USA: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fatbri...it_and_Finance

2. I have 2 years insurance experience and BTEC National Diploma in Forensic Science (3 a-levels at around grade D) - am I going to struggle to find a decent job/career?
I'm going to let ian-mstm comment on this one...I believe he works in the forensic science field.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 5th 2014 at 8:42 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

1. No, you start again from scratch. The only way to get a 'leg up' is that if you have had an AMEX card for a year they will transfer it.
2. In that field? Probably. Look at having your qualifications translated to a US standard.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

A BTEC is worth practically nothing in the UK. I don't believe the situation will be any different in America.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

I thought as much but thought I'd ask anyway
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 years insurance experience and BTEC National Diploma in Forensic Science (3 a-levels at around grade D) - am I going to struggle to find a decent job/career?
In a word: yes... at least, at first. I don't think you'll have trouble getting an entry-level, low-wage job... and having some money coming into the household is far better than having no money coming into the household. Of course, nothing need be permanent. If you don't have education or skills, you'll likely never have a "decent job/career" in the US. My 3 suggestions: find another girlfriend, keep the job you have, and go back to school and get a degree.

I have a good job here but unfortunately my gf has to finish school and she isn't a fan of Britain so I'm looking at going to her. Family are obviously worried and upset by this...
I don't mean to sound harsh, but what are you getting out of this arrangement? You're being asked to give up everything - and I mean everything - in exchange for what?

Don't let your hormones dictate what you do and how you react. Immigration isn't for the faint of heart.

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:00 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

I don't mean to sound harsh, but what are you getting out of this arrangement? You're being asked to give up everything - and I mean everything - in exchange for what?
Not being facetious, but isn't this true of all transatlantic relationships? Eventually one side has to give up everything in order to be together.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Eventually one side has to give up everything in order to be together.
Well, that's true of course. But this particular relationship seems decidedly lop-sided. It doesn't seem to be a matter of both weighing the pros/cons and making a decision based on that. Even the family seems to be apprehensive about the whole thing! "[S]he isn't a fan of Britain" suggests to me that it's her way or nothing - and that's not fair to him.

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:13 pm
Banned

Not being facetious, but isn't this true of all transatlantic relationships? Eventually one side has to give up everything in order to be together.
I didn't give up everything to be with my USC wife. I simply have given up being in the same country as the rest of my family and friends. It's honestly not too bad!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:31 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
"[S]he isn't a fan of Britain" suggests to me that it's her way or nothing - and that's not fair to him.

Ian

Fair enough

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I didn't give up everything to be with my USC wife. I simply have given up being in the same country as the rest of my family and friends. It's honestly not too bad!
Yes, but you were already working in the US weren't you?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:01 pm
Banned

Yes, but you were already working in the US weren't you?
Well, yes, but if I had not been able to relocate on my L-1 we would have done it through a CR-1. Appreciate that I came here with a guaranteed job, which made the transition so much easier. Thus, I didn't have to 'give up' anything really.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

I was wondering if anyone could give a rough step by step process of this at all? From I-129F to receipt of green card (assuming everything is okay and accepted of course).
Old Feb 9th 2014, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Another question also, on form G-325A it asks for a file number starting with an A. Do I leave this blank?
Old Feb 9th 2014, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

I was wondering if anyone could give a rough step by step process of this at all?
It's in our Wiki.

Another question also, on form G-325A it asks for a file number starting with an A. Do I leave this blank?
If you have an A#, enter it. If you don't have an A#, say so. Don't leave anything blank. It's okay to say "none" if that's the correct answer.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.