Reload this Page >

90 day EAD at district office question

90 day EAD at district office question

Old Jan 5th 2004, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough
Default 90 day EAD at district office question

Hi everyone!!

Anto arrived yesterday Unfortunately, he was unable to get his EAD stamp at JFK Long story, I'll post later...ineptitude in Dublin not JFK...the JFK person wanted to give him the stamp but couldn't because the Dublin person had his brown envelope...ANYWAYS.

We're going to have to get his temp EAD stamp at the Philly office. I'm not really sure what this entails...are there any forms that need to be filled out? I know it's free. Do they give it to you that day or is there a processing period? I'd just like to know what to expect before we make the trek to Philly. At least it will give us a run through before the big day when we apply for AOS etc.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

MarDae

P.S. We're off to get the marriage license today!!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: 90 day EAD at district office question

Hey, anybody have any info? Just bumping this up

In the meantime I've called the misinformation line...no help there and then followed with a call to my state rep's office. If I get any noteworthy advice or info I'll post. In the mean time if any one can help with my intitial post I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
MarDae
Old Jan 6th 2004, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Darkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also interested in knowing this, as i will enter through JFK and then fly on to philly.

Well, that is if i get my noa2 from vermont anytime soon (Noa1 = nov 4). I am wondering whats holding them up. All i can do is hope that i dont get an RFE

But on topic again, i'm sorry he didnt get his EAD stamp!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 5:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is form I-751 and the category is (a)(6) I think. You will have to look it up on the instruction sheet. Is it NOT the same as the category for the one year EAD. As for Philly, no one has gone there that I recall for a 90 day EAD so consider yourself and your fiancee to be pioneers in this area. There should be no fee, if they are will accept it, and as for how long to get it if they do accept it, I don't have a clue.

Rete

Originally posted by MarDae
Hi everyone!!

Anto arrived yesterday Unfortunately, he was unable to get his EAD stamp at JFK Long story, I'll post later...ineptitude in Dublin not JFK...the JFK person wanted to give him the stamp but couldn't because the Dublin person had his brown envelope...ANYWAYS.

We're going to have to get his temp EAD stamp at the Philly office. I'm not really sure what this entails...are there any forms that need to be filled out? I know it's free. Do they give it to you that day or is there a processing period? I'd just like to know what to expect before we make the trek to Philly. At least it will give us a run through before the big day when we apply for AOS etc.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

MarDae

P.S. We're off to get the marriage license today!!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 5:59 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
It is form I-751 and the category is (a)(6) I think. You will have to look it up on the instruction sheet. Is it NOT the same as the category for the one year EAD. As for Philly, no one has gone there that I recall for a 90 day EAD so consider yourself and your fiancee to be pioneers in this area. There should be no fee, if they are will accept it, and as for how long to get it if they do accept it, I don't have a clue.

Rete

For the regular EAD apps through Philly, their website shows they are working on the date of Oct 10 2003-that was posted on 15 December.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rete

Thanks. I think you meant I-765 but I knew what you meant you're right, it is category (a)(6) and under the instructions it says to mail it to you Vermont which is our service center...and there are no fee waivers!!!!!!! We are not paying $120 to get an EAD that might only be good for 10 days by the time it's processed if it's processed in time at all. Espeacially since the stamp can be obtained at JKF for free. I've already called my rep's office once (still waiting for info) if that doesn't help I'm calling both of my Senators! This is rediculous!!!!!! They either she totally eliminate getting the stamp at the POE or they should make it clear that a K-1 based temporary EAD does not require a fee. In a way it's a form of discrimination against whoever the immigration official doesn't feel like giving the stamp to, since there is no consistency, even at JFK, of whether or not you're going to get the stamp. I'm getting really tired of this process and we're still practically at the beginning. I'm becoming one very pissed off USC!!

Sorry to vent but when you start looking at your wedding day as just another step in the process you become very resently of the process itself. Thank goodness we're planning to have a proper ceremony later. At least I'll be able to appreciate and savor preparing for that one.

Thanks again for the information. I hope that we get some resolution outside of filing the form with Vermont. At this point I pretty much refuse to give the US government any more money than absolutely neccessary including $120 to file for a temporary EAD!

MarDae :{
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

I know this is as old as dirt, but...We went down, filled out the form and he got the 90 day EAD that day. This was before we were married and it was free. The free part hasn't changed, but the same-day issuance may have.
I never used their website but I tried calling them once. They stated plainly that they were not a phone center. If we wanted to ask a question, we had to come down and take a ticket.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops yup I-765. Guess I'm so use to dealing with the removal of conditions that other number is permanently engraved in my mind.

Don't go by the instructions. You don't have to mail it to Vermont and pay for a 90 day stamp. Don't know if Philly will issue you one but if you don't mind the trip than go for it. Others have not had to pay $120 at the district office for the 90 day stamp so why should you.

Rete

Originally posted by MarDae
Thanks. I think you meant I-765 but I knew what you meant you're right, it is category (a)(6) and under the instructions it says to mail it to you Vermont which is our service center...and there are no fee waivers!!!!!!! We are not paying $120 to get an EAD that might only be good for 10 days by the time it's processed if it's processed in time at all. Espeacially since the stamp can be obtained at JKF for free. I've already called my rep's office once (still waiting for info) if that doesn't help I'm calling both of my Senators! This is rediculous!!!!!! They either she totally eliminate getting the stamp at the POE or they should make it clear that a K-1 based temporary EAD does not require a fee. In a way it's a form of discrimination against whoever the immigration official doesn't feel like giving the stamp to, since there is no consistency, even at JFK, of whether or not you're going to get the stamp. I'm getting really tired of this process and we're still practically at the beginning. I'm becoming one very pissed off USC!!

Sorry to vent but when you start looking at your wedding day as just another step in the process you become very resently of the process itself. Thank goodness we're planning to have a proper ceremony later. At least I'll be able to appreciate and savor preparing for that one.

Thanks again for the information. I hope that we get some resolution outside of filing the form with Vermont. At this point I pretty much refuse to give the US government any more money than absolutely neccessary including $120 to file for a temporary EAD!

MarDae :{
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:31 pm
Concierge

Whoa, slow down a minute. Why are you venting like that? You are working yourself up for nothing since you aren't going to be sending it to Vermont and you aren't going to be paying $120. Either Philly will do it or they won't.

As for giving the stamp at the POE, this has been the problem for more years than I can remember. Since the K-1 has the inherent right to work without the stamp, USCIS does not have to give it. The problem is not with them but with the convoluted system of I-9's, verification, and employment eligibility. As for your reps assistance, great if they will undertake it but my gut tells me they will only tell you to get married and have him file for AOS and the one year EAD. A damn shame that you guys are counting on the stamp (I believe he has a job lined up) but even with the stamp, the next issue of getting a social security card will be nerve wrecking experience.

Good luck

Rete
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

rnessman is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete
Your correct Rete. I did this throught the district office at Boston and the category is (a) (6). Now Im waiting for my SSN but I have this feeling that my temp EAD will run out before I get my SSN. Oh well we will soon marry and apply for the AOS , one year EAD and AP.

Bob the Canadian and Joanie
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ooops yup I-765. Guess I'm so use to dealing with the removal of conditions that other number is permanently engraved in my mind.

Don't go by the instructions. You don't have to mail it to Vermont and pay for a 90 day stamp. Don't know if Philly will issue you one but if you don't mind the trip than go for it. Others have not had to pay $120 at the district office for the 90 day stamp so why should you.

Rete
Thank you for the reassurance. I'm glad to know that I don't have to send it to Vermont and probably don't have to worry about the fee. I think we'll try to go down and get it next week. If they turn us away without the stamp then we'll just have to go drown our sorrows at King of Prussia Just kidding...I'll have to pinch pennies if he doesn't get the EAD stamp Luckily it's not imperative that he get the stamp in that we aren't going to go into debt or anything, I'm more concerned that he start working when his employer would like him to although they are resonable people so I'm sure they'll understand.

I guess I vented since it just seemed like one thing after another was going wrong, that whole "when it rains it pours" (like reading the ccn.com article on Bush's immigration policy, doesn't really affect us but sure made my blood boil). A little venting every now and again is probably good for the heart...better than bottling up.

Thanks again for letting me know that I don't have to neccessarily follow the instructions on the form. New day, new perspective...at least we're together.

Thanks,
MarDae
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:31 pm
Kristin

MarDae: FWIW, the reason your fiance did not get the EAD at JFK is
because he wasn't processed at JFK. He was processed in Dublin - only
Dublin could give him the stamp. As he discovered, Dublin doesn't give
out the stamp. And JFK can't, because he was already processed when he
arrived there.

Good luck with Philly - if they won't give you the temporary stamp, get
married ASAP, get your AOS filed with the EAD app and kick off the wait
for the 1 year EAD right away.

In the meantime, though, you can still get his SSN even without the EAD
stamp, because the SSA does not require an EAD to get that for a K-1
with more than 76 days left on his I-94. I'd wait about 10 days or so
to make sure your fiance is in the SAVE system before you go apply. You
can apply immediately, but chances are he won't be in SAVE and you'll
end up waiting anyway. If the SSA gives you any grief about getting his
SSN, be sure to bring their website printed out about K-1 holders not
needing an EAD for a number. Good luck! Kristin

MarDae wrote:
    > Hi everyone!!
    >
    >
    >
    > Anto arrived yesterday Unfortunately, he was unable to get his
    > EAD stamp at JFK Long story, I'll post later...ineptitude in Dublin
    > not JFK...the JFK person wanted to give him the stamp but couldn't
    > because the Dublin person had his brown envelope...ANYWAYS.
    >
    >
    >
    > We're going to have to get his temp EAD stamp at the Philly office. I'm
    > not really sure what this entails...are there any forms that need to be
    > filled out? I know it's free. Do they give it to you that day or is
    > there a processing period? I'd just like to know what to expect before
    > we make the trek to Philly. At least it will give us a run through
    > before the big day when we apply for AOS etc.
    >
    >
    >
    > Any info will be greatly appreciated!!
    >
    >
    >
    > MarDae
    >
    >
    >
    > P.S. We're off to get the marriage license today!!!
    >
    >