Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

17 yr old marring 27 yr old

17 yr old marring 27 yr old

Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:05 pm
Banned

parryh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17 yr old marring 27 yr old

i have a friend who is in the US from africa on a B1 visa , he has fallen in love with a 17yrs old girl and she want to marry him her parents have aggreed to get them both married he is 27 yrs old , can the girl file an i-130 for him .
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:10 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 yr old marring 27 yr old

Originally Posted by parryh
i have a friend who is in the US from africa on a B1 visa , he has fallen in love with a 17yrs old girl and she want to marry him her parents have aggreed to get them both married he is 27 yrs old , can the girl file an i-130 for him .
I'd never allow my 17-year-old to marry, but hey....

She will need a co-sponsor to meet the minimum income requirements (125% of poverty level). I guess her parents will help out there, too.

Don't recall needing to be 18 to sponsor a spouse.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
A sponsor, or joint sponsor, must also be:
A citizen or national of the United States or an alien
lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent
residence;
At least 18 years of age; and
Domiciled in the United States or its territories and
possessions.

No doubt the parents need more room in their trailer ...
See if they will sponsor ....
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
A sponsor, or joint sponsor, must also be:
A citizen or national of the United States or an alien
lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent
residence;
At least 18 years of age; and
Domiciled in the United States or its territories and
possessions.

No doubt the parents need more room in their trailer ...
See if they will sponsor ....
Well, it looks as if they can't file until she's 18, since she'd have to be the sponsor.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'd never allow my 17-year-old to marry, but hey....

She will need a co-sponsor to meet the minimum income requirements (125% of poverty level). I guess her parents will help out there, too.

She will be 18 in march and my friend's visa will expiry in july so she does not want him to go back to africa , her parents are willing to support him and her in all ways so does she need to file i-130 for him
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

She will be 18 in march and my friend's visa will expiry in july so she does not want him to go back to africa , her parents are willing to support him and her in all ways so does she need to file i-130 for him
Need to marry first ... and have all the required documents from his homeland ..Birth certificate etc...
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

she is more than capable of moving back to Africa to be with him if she cannot bear to be apart.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:21 pm
Lapine Member

She cannot file until March. If your friend's visa expires in July 2006, he's got to go home or he won't be coming back for a long time.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:22 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Manc
she is more than capable of moving back to Africa to be with him if she cannot bear to be apart.
Nigeria can be very pleasant certain times of the year.......
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Need to marry first ... and have all the required documents from his homeland ..Birth certificate etc...
was wondering how the USCIS will look at a 17 yrs old getting married. she lives in texas
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:23 pm
Ray

was wondering how the USCIS will look at a 17 yrs old getting married. she lives in texas
What is his country of origin ........
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
What is his country of origin ........
he is from Kenya
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:28 pm
Ray

he is from Kenya
Better than Nigeria .. but obviously he will have to have all the correct paperwork before he can proceed ...
And it would be far better too wait until the girl is 18 ..
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:29 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

If its legal in that state to marry at 17 the USCIS aren't likely to challenge it on those grounds. However if the non-USC were disproportionally older than the 17 year old, that could be an area they might question.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:33 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Kate2112
If its legal in that state to marry at 17 the USCIS aren't likely to challenge it on those grounds. However if the non-USC were disproportionally older than the 17 year old, that could be an area they might question.
It's legal here with parental consent, but that doesn't negate the qualifications the USCIS puts on sponsors/cosponsors, and I can see them limiting it to 18+ for financial and contractual reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.