Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

17 yr old marring 27 yr old

17 yr old marring 27 yr old

Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:33 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 yr old marring 27 yr old

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It's legal here with parental consent, but that doesn't negate the qualifications the USCIS puts on sponsors/cosponsors, and I can see them limiting it to 18+ for financial and contractual reasons.
Ah good point! Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ndori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to all
Angry Re: 17 yr old marring 27 yr old

Originally Posted by Ray
Nigeria can be very pleasant certain times of the year.......
Just out of the Blue, what does Nigeria have to do with this...or maybe you have a cristal ball...I see you coming! and no I am not from Nigeria myself...
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ndori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to all
Angry Re: 17 yr old marring 27 yr old

Originally Posted by Ray
Better than Nigeria .. but obviously he will have to have all the correct paperwork before he can proceed ...
And it would be far better too wait until the girl is 18 ..

"Better than Nigeria" I hope you are joking..if not, I really feel sorry for you!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ndori
Just out of the Blue, what does Nigeria have to do with this...or maybe you have a cristal ball...I see you coming! and no I am not from Nigeria myself...
Nigeria is well know for being a very high immigration fraud area ...
and amongst one of the highest corrupt societies .. 419 mean anything to you ..
My balls are Crystal ...
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

"Better than Nigeria" I hope you are joking..if not, I really feel sorry for you!
True ..Kenya does not have such a high rate of visa fraud ......
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Nigeria is well know for being a very high immigration fraud area ...
and amongst one of the highest corrupt societies .. 419 mean anything to you ..
My balls are Crystal ...
"My balls are Crystal" false! Crystal doesn't smell!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:55 pm
Ray

"My balls are Crystal" false! Crystal doesn't smell!
Good ..you have learnt how to spell it ...
Old Jun 13th 2006, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

NOLA_Dave is on a distinguished road

I may be mistaken, and one of the attorneys can surely help me out on this, but if you sign a contract under the age of 18, it can be broken, correct? Maybe this is just an urban myth or something, but I thought a contract can't be binding on a minor. Therefore, she can't sponsor him because she cannot legally sign an I-864, even with a sponsor.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parryh
was wondering how the USCIS will look at a 17 yrs old getting married. she lives in texas
In Kentucky, you can marry at age 14. Here in Appalachia, a 14 year old girl is often considered an "old maid" if she's not hitched. We're also well known for our inbreeding. Why... just the other day, I heard a young boy say, "Mom, if you and dad get divorced, will you still be brother and sister?"

That aside, your friend has a bigger problem. Even if she marries him now, she can not file to adjust his status until she's 18. Once his visa expires in July, he'll be out of status until the AOS paperwork is filed. In the meantime, if he happens to get picked up for jaywalking or gets into a bar fight, he might very quickly find himself deported from the US. Marriage to a US citizen will not protect him.

But hey... it's her life and she's welcome to ruin it if she wants, right?

Ian
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It's legal here with parental consent, but that doesn't negate the qualifications the USCIS puts on sponsors/cosponsors, and I can see them limiting it to 18+ for financial and contractual reasons.

However, since she will need and has a joint/co-sponsor I fail to see where the problem is. By the time the AOS is adjudicated she will be over the age of 18 and nulls the issue of being underage for the I-864. This is, of course, that being in Texas she isn't going to be using the Dallas district office.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: 17 yr old marring 27 yr old

Originally Posted by parryh
he is from Kenya
So does he already have a wife or wives there?

Polygamy is quite the norm there.....but he won't be able to bring any wives to the USA as only marriage between two people is recognised.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:58 am
Templar

> > It's legal here with parental consent, but that doesn't negate the
    > > qualifications the USCIS puts on sponsors/cosponsors, and I can see
    > > them limiting it to 18+ for financial and contractual reasons.
    > However, since she will need and has a joint/co-sponsor I fail to see
    > where the problem is. By the time the AOS is adjudicated she will be
    > over the age of 18 and nulls the issue of being underage for the I-
    > 864.
    > This is, of course, that being in Texas she isn't going to be using
    > the
    > Dallas district office.
    > --
    > I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!

The eligibility is determined by when the application was made, not when
it was abjudicated. Therefore, USCIS has a right to reject the
application outright.

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is not true, IMHO. The I-864 is not enforceable until the I-485 is adjudicated and the recipient an [C][L]PR. Thus, the eligibility of the sponsor is not determined until that time.

Originally Posted by Templar
    > > It's legal here with parental consent, but that doesn't negate the
    > > qualifications the USCIS puts on sponsors/cosponsors, and I can see
    > > them limiting it to 18+ for financial and contractual reasons.
    > However, since she will need and has a joint/co-sponsor I fail to see
    > where the problem is. By the time the AOS is adjudicated she will be
    > over the age of 18 and nulls the issue of being underage for the I-
    > 864.
    > This is, of course, that being in Texas she isn't going to be using
    > the
    > Dallas district office.
    > --
    > I'm not an attorney. This disclaimer is valid in NYS!

The eligibility is determined by when the application was made, not when
it was abjudicated. Therefore, USCIS has a right to reject the
application outright.

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That is not true, IMHO. The I-864 is not enforceable until the I-485 is adjudicated and the recipient an [C][L]PR. Thus, the eligibility of the sponsor is not determined until that time.
Thinking outloud....

I don't follow it closely enough to say so or not, but it seems that I've read of several RFEs in the past months that are being generated on the I-864 from the MSC. IOW, in the prescreening, or whatever it's called, where they check the AOS packet for completeness before forwarding on to the DO, insufficient incomes are being tagged and returned to the petitioner before being sent on.

I wonder if this would fall under the same type of screening?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
insufficient incomes are being tagged and returned to the petitioner before being sent on.
I was under the impression that this was a not unknown practice where the USC's spouse was too low, and they needed an EAD to get a joint income adequate enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.