Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

[Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

[Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

Originally Posted by lenswipe
Ah right, okay - do I need to do anything for that to let them know what happened? Should I speak to them tomorrow when I go down, or just leave it?

I know it says to let them know what's going on but I don't want to get in touch and say "Yeah you can go ahead and cancel..." to anything in case things get muddled and they cancel the wrong one or something.
When I went for my interview the first thing they asked for before they even let me in the security building was the confirmation page from my DS-160. So I'd guess you might want to try and get it remedied now.

Again, you may be okay if you explain the situation though.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenK91
When I went for my interview the first thing they asked for before they even let me in the security building was the confirmation page from my DS-160. So I'd guess you might want to try and get it remedied now.

Again, you may be okay if you explain the situation though.
I do have a confirmation page from my DS-160 (the one that I completed). I called my lawyer, she recommended just taking the letter along(as well as my completed DS-160 obviously) and speaking to them tomorrow.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I called my lawyer, she recommended...
Do you trust your lawyer or not? I ask, because it seems you're playing off her advice against what we might suggest - and I think it's leaving you more confused than if you just took either her advice or ours.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2017, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a confirmation page from my DS-160 (the one that I completed). I called my lawyer, she recommended just taking the letter along(as well as my completed DS-160 obviously) and speaking to them tomorrow.
I can't see you having a issue then.

I did my interview around 4 months ago. It's really not as bad or strenuous as you may think. So try and relax as you've still got the Adjustment of Status to come, Removal of Conditions and N400 application to come over the next few years.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do you trust your lawyer or not? I ask, because it seems you're playing off her advice against what we might suggest
Yes of course. Its just that she's actually in a different timezone to me so she didn't always see my emails straight away. Which is why I'm posting here... Chances are if I'm writing about something...someone will see them.

My visa for approved today so thank you to everyone that chipped in for all the help and advice.

One quick question though - what's the difference between the Affidavit of support that's filled now and the one filled during the adjustment of status. Im assuming that they are not interchangeable.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course. Its just that she's actually in a different timezone to me so she didn't always see my emails straight away. Which is why I'm posting here... Chances are if I'm writing about something...someone will see them.

My visa for approved today so thank you to everyone that chipped in for all the help and advice.

One quick question though - what's the difference between the Affidavit of support that's filled now and the one filled during the adjustment of status. Im assuming that they are not interchangeable.
Congrats!
Old Apr 7th 2017, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aless02
Congrats!

Thank you! Thanks once again to everyone for bearing with me and answering all my (probably stupid) questions
Old Apr 7th 2017, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Im assuming that they are not interchangeable.
Correct. In a nutshell, the I-134 (K-1) is unenforceable because the language used is quite loose. The I-864 (AOS), on the other hand, is a binding contract with the US government - and there is a specific $$ amount that must be used to meet the requirement. There are only 5 ways to release the financial sponsor from responsibility: 1) the beneficiary becomes a US citizen; 2) the beneficiary is credited with 40 weeks of social security credits (roughly 10 years @ 4 credits/year); 3) the beneficiary permanently leaves the US; 4) the beneficiary dies; or 5) the financial sponsor dies. Divorce, for example, does not release the financial sponsor from responsibility under the I-864.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2017, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Correct. In a nutshell, the I-134 (K-1) is unenforceable because the language used is quite loose. The I-864 (AOS), on the other hand, is a binding contract with the US government - and there is a specific $$ amount that must be used to meet the requirement. There are only 5 ways to release the financial sponsor from responsibility: 1) the beneficiary becomes a US citizen; 2) the beneficiary is credited with 40 weeks of social security credits (roughly 10 years @ 4 credits/year); 3) the beneficiary permanently leaves the US; 4) the beneficiary dies; or 5) the financial sponsor dies. Divorce, for example, does not release the financial sponsor from responsibility under the I-864.

Ian
So if I had tried to submit the I-864 during the K1 process - would they have accepted that?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 5:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So if I had tried to submit the I-864 during the K1 process - would they have accepted that?
No.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.