Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

[Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

[Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

Old Apr 1st 2017, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

So, as the title suggests, I've got my consular interview booked next week on Friday.

I've had my medical exam on the 10th of March. I haven't had an email or letter or anything about booking the consular interview, but I asked my immigration lawyer and she said to book it. So I did. I've got my flights booked down to London and everything.

Originally I booked for the 21st, then I checked back and saw they had an appointment on the 7th so I changed to that (it's sooner and time is of the essence here).

When I went and scheduled my consular interview appointment it gave me the option to go back over to the DS-160 site and check the status of my application and it said "READY" or something to that effect.

However, I do have a few worries/concerns right now:
  1. I haven't recieved a confirmation email or letter. Did I do something wrong in scheduling my consulate appointment?! I just did what my immigration lawyer said to
  2. The confirmation page from my DS-160 says I need to bring along "Evidence of approved I-129F" - what the hell is that?
  3. Do I need to bring evidence of our relationship to the interview? If so, what should I bring? Any recommendations? Cards? Photographs? Letters to her mom from mine?
  4. Can I take my phone/tablet/backpack into the embassy? I heard that they relaxed their ban on this recently...
  5. What should I use to contain my documentation? I was thinking like a popper pocket for each thing, but perhaps a lever arch file or ring binder might be more practical under the circumstances?

I'd really appreciate any help right now. I feel like my head is going to explode
Old Apr 1st 2017, 11:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Urgent] Consular Interview Next Week - Feeling very lost. HELP!

Originally Posted by lenswipe
I haven't recieved a confirmation email or letter. Did I do something wrong in scheduling my consulate appointment?!
No.

The confirmation page from my DS-160 says I need to bring along "Evidence of approved I-129F" - what the hell is that?
Are you doing a K-1 visa? If so, it is the NOA2 that the USC received, indicating that the I-129F petition was approved.

]Do I need to bring evidence of our relationship to the interview? If so, what should I bring? Any recommendations? Cards? Photographs? Letters to her mom from mine?
Not a bad idea to bring current evidence of the ongoing relationship. Bring anything relevant...photos together since filing the I-129F, communications (but not tons, just a few emails or whatever you use), cards if you've exchanged any since filing the I-129F, etc. Letters between the mothers is probably not needed.

]Can I take my phone/tablet/backpack into the embassy? I heard that they relaxed their ban on this recently...
I believe so, but take a look at the US Embassy in London website, I'm sure there will be a list there of items you can/can't bring in.

What should I use to contain my documentation? I was thinking like a popper pocket for each thing, but perhaps a lever arch file or ring binder might be more practical under the circumstances?
It really doesn't matter, as long as you can find what they ask for easily. You will be asked for pieces of evidence, which you then hand over. So you're the only one who has to find anything. Make it easy on yourself, however you feel is best for you.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2017, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this Noorah101!

I feel better already knowing that I haven't massively screwed up. Yes, sorry - I should've mentioned it's a K1 Visa.

Do I not need to bring a confirmation email/letter in that case? My fiancee suggested bringing the confirmation page from the completed DS-160 along.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 12:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't hurt to bring that confirmation page, just in case.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you bother to check the embassy's website prior to getting worked up?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fianc...-for-the-visa/

https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/...cklist2014.pdf
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Can't hurt to bring that confirmation page, just in case.

Rene
Yeah, I think I might - two copies maybe? One "original" and one copy?

Originally Posted by tom169
Did you bother to check the embassy's website prior to getting worked up?

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fianc...-for-the-visa/

Yes, and neither of those links (unless I've missed something) explicitly mention a confirmation letter/email required or otherwise.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 3:01 am

Just one confirmation page. It's just to show at the door to get in.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion would be to look at previous posts which detail what people have taken to their interview. I took more than I needed and got approved that day.

You can search my post if you want to. I used scottyvisa's as a template. Although as always, definitely make sure you have everything they require as specified on their website.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just one confirmation page. It's just to show at the door to get in.

Rene
I think I'll do that. Thanks

Originally Posted by Smartyy
My suggestion would be to look at previous posts which detail what people have taken to their interview. I took more than I needed and got approved that day.

You can search my post if you want to. I used scottyvisa's as a template. Although as always, definitely make sure you have everything they require as specified on their website.
Yeah, I'll go have a look - thanks.

Am I right in thinking from here: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...idavit-support that I don't need to bring an Affidavit of Support for a K1 interview?
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

List of required documents is here:

Found that through: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/the-interview/
If you wanted to check yourself.

Finally, my interview experience and what I took with me:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...rience-880746/

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I've got that - I'm ticking my way through it...
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:59 pm

Yes, you do need an affidavit of support and associated evidence. It's the I-134.

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lenswipe
I think I'll do that. Thanks

Yeah, I'll go have a look - thanks.

Am I right in thinking from here: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...idavit-support that I don't need to bring an Affidavit of Support for a K1 interview?
You are NOT going for a green card nor are you going through the USCIS. You are going for a K-1 which is not an immigration visa. You need to bring an I-134 from your fiancée if they fit the financial requirements or a USC or PR who does. Go without it and your K-1 approval will be delayed until it is furnished.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel, I was nervous as all heck before my interview, that is normal. Work through the list of docs, don't take a laptop (I took ipad and phone, was fine, I didn't want the extra weight and bulk to manage with all my docs too though), and go for a well earned glass of fizz afterwards once they approve your visa.

My list of docs I took is below:

Letter from embassy & copy
DS-160 confirmation & copy
Police certificate & copy
Long form birth certificate & copy
Application confirmation email & courier confirmation & copy
I-134 original & copy
Supporting evidence for I-134 (fiancee's tax return, letter from employer, letter from bank, summary of investment accounts)
Vaccination record from Knightsbridge doctor
4 * US size photos
Passport & old passport
I <3 Texas sticker (good luck present from the missus!)

Good luck!
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete and Noorah101. I went digging through my filing cabinet and found the Affidavit of Support.

Pugilation:
I have a letter from the embassy saying "Dear <name> US Embassy London is pleased to inform you that we have recieved an approved petition...." etc. etc. is that the "Confirmation Letter" people speak of that I have to take with me?

I will bring my documentation from the medical exam, however - I'm planning to fully satisfy the vaccination requirements when doing the adjustment of status in the USA later on...

Finally - I've found my fiancee's financial documents.

How does this sound for documentation?

Documentation Listed Online
  • 1 x Passport
  • 1 x Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (and photocopy)
  • 1 x Letter from NVC to fiancee telling her that they'd approved my petition and would contact me
  • 1 x I-129F Petition and covering letter about the petition being approved (and photocopies)
  • 1 x Police Certificate (and photocopy)
  • 1 x I-134 Affidavit of Support
  • 1 x I-863 Affidavit of Support

Extras
  • 4 x Passport Photos (I pressed the "US Visa" button on the PhotoMe booth
  • Boardnig cards and documentation in the last 2 years of me meeting up with her
  • 10 x photos of her and me with my brother's family and my parents
  • 1 x DS-160 confirimation page (and photocopy)
  • 1x Email from her (might grab more if I can pick out some good ones)
  • Assorted cards from her with addresse

One thing that is a bit of a concern is that I don't have any proof of our ongoing relationship that covers the period between the approval of the I-129F and now(as I've seen mentioned on the wiki) due to work commitments (we see each other every 6 months or so and it was approved in January...). However(as I mentioned above), I do have proof dating all the way back to 2012.

To say I'm "on edge" right now would be an understatement

Last edited by lenswipe; Apr 4th 2017 at 8:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.