Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Zoom and hand baggage question

Zoom and hand baggage question

Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice
Default Zoom and hand baggage question

Anyone know how fussy Zoom is about keeping to the 5kg hand baggage limit? I've got a fair bit of photo gear that I wouldn't want put in the hold, and a dedicated case (within cabin baggage dimensions) to hold it all. Trouble is, it weighs in quite a bit more than the cabin limit Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're heading out to Halifax at the end of June for a recce visit.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of
Default Re: Zoom and hand baggage question

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
Anyone know how fussy Zoom is about keeping to the 5kg hand baggage limit? I've got a fair bit of photo gear that I wouldn't want put in the hold, and a dedicated case (within cabin baggage dimensions) to hold it all. Trouble is, it weighs in quite a bit more than the cabin limit Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're heading out to Halifax at the end of June for a recce visit.
I flew with them last year, and I remember that I had to put it in the hold (use a pelican case). I have lots of gear, though, so my case is too big to use as hand luggage. I hate putting it in the hold, although I've got it insured.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheCanes
I flew with them last year, and I remember that I had to put it in the hold (use a pelican case). I have lots of gear, though, so my case is too big to use as hand luggage. I hate putting it in the hold, although I've got it insured.
Yes - it's a Pelicase I have too (a 1410). It travelled to Vietnam and Thailand with me last year with no problems on the bigger airlines. It probably weighs about 10kg (anyway) loaded. I suppose I'll just have to take the chance. In fact, while I think of it, I took it into the cabin on a flyglobespan flight into Hamilton last year. I might just get away with it if I don't grunt as I pick it up!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
Yes - it's a Pelicase I have too (a 1410). It travelled to Vietnam and Thailand with me last year with no problems on the bigger airlines. It probably weighs about 10kg (anyway) loaded. I suppose I'll just have to take the chance. In fact, while I think of it, I took it into the cabin on a flyglobespan flight into Hamilton last year. I might just get away with it if I don't grunt as I pick it up!
Mine's a 1550. Way too heavy (and big) to take in the cabin.

I don't care what they say about them being just about un-distroyable. What if they lose it??? I would be devastated. I always wipe my sweaty brow when I see it appear on the carousel.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say that last year Zoom weighed all our carry on luggage - even the kids backpacks. We had a laptop plus god knows what else but they were all heavy. Because there were 4 of us we managed to do some fancy swapping around and hid something on the floor ( ) - then re-jiggled it all back again afterwards ..... Will you be on your own? Can you split up the contents ?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:01 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Sorry to say that last year Zoom weighed all our carry on luggage
Same with us. They made us check in extra stuff until our bags were close to 5 kg. We probably had about 15 kg in each of them. Doh. In total on that flight I think we spent about an extra £60 for our excess baggage - and that was after paying for an upgrade to Premium.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
..... Will you be on your own? Can you split up the contents ?
I'll be with the OH. I suppose I could cut down on the kit I'm carrying, but that would be difficult - I'm keen on my pix!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We had our hand luggage weighed too and had to swap things around. Happened with Air Transat too.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

We flew last August from Gatwick with Zoom. I had been dreading the "weigh-in" of our hand luggage - it was vastly over the limits and I was visualising repacking our cases at the check-in counter It wasn't even weighed I think we were just lucky