Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Your internet 'habits' ?

Your internet 'habits' ?

Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your internet 'habits' ?

Hubby was laughing at me the other day as I was going through my morning routine at the computer.

I log on and check emails - then I switch to British Expats for a quick (or sometimes not so quick update). When satisfied that I haven't missed out on any juicy tidbits, I switch to one other forum for a quick scan - then do the BBC website for headlines. I usually do this at least twice a day

Then I go put the kettle on ...

Are you a forum geek, and e-mail freek or a google-lover? What do you look at (that you can admit to here) ... and how many hours a day do you think you play with your pooter?! Those that work with a computer all day and can easily flit back and forth undetected must be numerous methinks ....
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:27 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your internet 'habits' ?

In my lunch hour at work, I usually check the BBC website (and get withdrawal symptoms if I am out of the office and can't do so).

After 8 hours at a computer all day at work, I'll get in, switch on the pc, and run through:

British Expats (as you say, don't want to miss out on any jucy tidbits)

Calgary Herald (cheaper than buying the paper and less hassle - why can't they make it smaller!)

MoneyCorp/HIFX (to reassure myself that we changed our money up at the right time when it hit 2$ to the £ the other week)

All the relevant job websites that I currently know of (still trying to find a new job!)

The BBC website (just to make sure I didn't miss anything earlier)

Then I while away the rest of my hours with Facebook, and sometimes I might venture into mls.ca to see if there are any new gorgeous houses on the market.

(Now I have just re-read what I have written I feel such an internet addict!!! - Is there any therapy out there for us do you think?)
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

There is no hope - we are a lost cause

I also look at local newspapers, monster.ca, mls and HIFX intermittantly. I also check rightmove.co.uk just to be nosey at what is going on in our old area.

I dare not even venture anywhere near facebook - nor do I look at any other forums, for fear of being sucked in

I do very often click on the links that people post on here, then get lost following other links - 'tis a maze of a wonderland - and some of it can be quite intelligent sometimes
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:09 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Mon-Fri, I get up by 6am, usually earlier, make coffee, boot up the computer and do emails, read premarket and other news, researching. Then from 6:30am til 1pm I flip between trading, chatting on MSN with friends, being an idiot on BE and other online places and real life drugery (laundry, prepping food for later, etc). Come 1 pm, work is over and I usually go out to play and pretend to be an adult in real life. Then sometimes at night I goof around on the computer to chill out before hitting the hay. Weekends... no pattern. It just depends on what I have going on.

I have a list of daily haunts that correspond with my interests and I also enjoy just wandering off into web weirdness.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

I usually switch on the computer when I switch on the kettle in the morning.

I check e-mails, news, facebook and this lovely forum. I usually end up chasing my tail to get the kids to school on time because some article / post has distracted me! V poor parenting!

The in the evening when the kids are in bed and I really should be studying / reading I go through the same again, only this time I may add in a bit of YouTube or even E! Online. I really must become a better person
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m
Hubby was laughing at me the other day as I was going through my morning routine at the computer.

I log on and check emails - then I switch to British Expats for a quick (or sometimes not so quick update). When satisfied that I haven't missed out on any juicy tidbits, I switch to one other forum for a quick scan - then do the BBC website for headlines. I usually do this at least twice a day

Are you a forum geek, and e-mail freek or a google-lover? What do you look at (that you can admit to here) ... and how many hours a day do you think you play with your pooter?! Those that work with a computer all day and can easily flit back and forth undetected must be numerous methinks ....
Very similar morning routine except I have my cuppa made for me in the morning . Expats first, BBC website, facebook (not all the time), and job websites.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Gulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to allGulf Stream is a name known to all

I multi-task, checking emails, message boards and Instant messangers!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:17 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Breakfast first. Then emails, Bristol Evening Post, Brits2Vancouver, British Expats, Daily Express, Cruise forums, BBC, Vancouver Sun, Coronation St websites, finally MSN. Then I pop back a few times during the day to check email and make sure I haven't missed anything on this forum.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:45 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeez, I might be bordering on the obsessive.......

Start work at 8.45am - check work emails (dull dull dull)

Log onto......yahoo email, BE (sporadically thoughout day!), BBC news, Toronto Sun, CIC & Bunac website, XE (to see what the $CAD is doing), Craigslist (for jobs & apartments).
Craigslist has a tendancy to lead to Google Maps and/or Google Earth. With a bit of 'Canada related' Youtube thrown in.
Repeat throughout the day till 5pm.

Go to 2nd job at 6pm.
Log onto internet - repeat above.
Get home at 11pm - check yahoo email. Internet banking. Go to bed!

These are only the day-to-day basics though....note to self.... 'get a life'
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Wake up, turn computer on.....surf BE, email (mine and OH's work one, just to add interest), repeat endlessly throughout day....intersperse with some property sites depending on current obsession, some money sites, some sharetrading sites and not to mention play a fair dose of online poker, go to sleep.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk morning, Noon & Night because the TV news is so awful over here
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Oh my......i tend to check my hotmail before going to work, i have a blackberry at work so theres no escapng work stuff.

I get to work, log into my outlook them as soon as that opens i hit the net and check hotmail again which usually leads me on here...

My typical day consists of checking the daily record, ticketmaster, calgary humane society, mls, alberta gov, bebo, facebook.....but I DONT ABUSE IT, or i'd be out of a job.... had to say that incase the work peeps are checking. I think facebook is getting cut off in work but thats ok, im not the biggest fan.

I leave my hotmail running in the background all day, and check it time and time again.

Then as soon as i get home, im back on here, its pretty sad i have to admit.

Once basement is complete pooter will be downstairs and i wont be on so much, or so i say right now.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:59 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
http://news.bbc.co.uk morning, Noon & Night because the TV news is so awful over here
Having just spent 3 weeks in the UK, I'd argue that with you if I wasn't so jetlagged! Do you mean the presentation of the news, or the news itself?!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Having just spent 3 weeks in the UK, I'd argue that with you if I wasn't so jetlagged! Do you mean the presentation of the news, or the news itself?!
The quality of the Intl news over here (at least on my cable TV) is dreadful, all I ever hear about is US news & local BC news.

At least with ITN, Channel 4, Sky & BBC I was *guaranteed* at least 5 mins of Intl news each time I watched it.

Why can't they ditch the poxy weather channel and replace it with a decent 24x7 news channel?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

My routine consists of looking at my e-mail accounts first (of which I have 3).
I then take a brief look on Facebook.
I then read either BBC/sky news/metro.co.uk, or another Canadian news site.
I also have a read of this site and the Knee Geeks bulletin board.

I generally dont spend much time on the web at the weekends, as I am usually busy. My most time spent is at work early morning with an ocassional peek during the day .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.