Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You know your kids have integrated when....

You know your kids have integrated when....

Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your kids have integrated when....

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
the Hockey team gold medal game shut down Young St in TO I beleive and was watched by about 80% of the country.
The Chicago hockey team? That went pretty much unnoticed here, in Guelph.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:25 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Chicago hockey team? That went pretty much unnoticed here, in Guelph.
Don't be deliberately dumb, it doesn't suit you.

When did the Chicago hockey team win a gold medal for Canada? And why would that be of interest to Canadians (apart from the fact it makes the Leafs officially the "losingest" team in the NHL). Methinks Mr Vader refers to the Olympics, which even the denizens of Guelph may have noticed.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Don't be deliberately dumb, it doesn't suit you.

When did the Chicago hockey team win a gold medal for Canada? And why would that be of interest to Canadians (apart from the fact it makes the Leafs officially the "losingest" team in the NHL). Methinks Mr Vader refers to the Olympics, which even the denizens of Guelph may have noticed.
I'd forgotten about the Olympics, was that even this year? I recall that we were driving north on Parliament when a man wearing earphones shouted and another tooted his horn, signalling that there had been iced hockey and that it was over. If Vader thinks this is in any way comparable to the street jamming joyous havoc that greets the end of Euro nnnn or the World Cup he has no clue. The first Blue Jays World Series victory prompted a visible show of enthusiasm from dozens, perhaps scores, of people in Toronto. I suspect that's the biggest sports related celebration I've seen, that wasn't prompted by football, but it was very tame compared to, for example, that prompted by Greece's Euro win.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:04 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Oakvillian;8646683]More than the range issue, what really bothers me about pre-game singers of the Star-Spangled Banner is the lack of breath control in the penultimate line. Surely if you're a trained singer you should be able to make it through without that huge "Oh, say does that star-spangled <enormous heaving gulping breath> banner yet wave..." thing going on right in the middle of the phrase?

They have to do that to cover up their switch point It's usually the untrained singers that struggle - the "pop stars" etc.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

God Save the Queen is indeed a dirge. The Marseillaise is good, as is the Russian anthem. Fratelli d'Italia is probably my favourite, even Advance Australia Fair is rousing. Of the Home Nations' "Rugby Anthems", there's nothing to stir the soul like a packed Cardiff Arms Park (sorry, Millennium Stadium) belting out Land of My Fathers - so long as the don't go on to win the game, of course.... Flower of Scotland, imho, is down there with GSTQ in terms of its ability to rouse the emotions.
I like God Save the Queen as it is easy to sing. The lyrics don't really say much about the people or country as it refers to an old lady, but anyone can sing it similar to O Canada. The Star Spangled banner and the Russian anthem sound good with an orchestra but it not very easy to sing for the common person, who IMO is what the Anthems are meant for.

I'd forgotten about the Olympics, was that even this year? I recall that we were driving north on Parliament when a man wearing earphones shouted and another tooted his horn, signalling that there had been iced hockey and that it was over. If Vader thinks this is in any way comparable to the street jamming joyous havoc that greets the end of Euro nnnn or the World Cup he has no clue. The first Blue Jays World Series victory prompted a visible show of enthusiasm from dozens, perhaps scores, of people in Toronto. I suspect that's the biggest sports related celebration I've seen, that wasn't prompted by football, but it was very tame compared to, for example, that prompted by Greece's Euro win.
I forgot about Greece winning the Euro's, I am still hung over from that one. That was a huge moment for Canada.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Jun 21st 2010 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I like God Save the Queen as it is easy to sing. The lyrics don't really say much about the people as it refers to an old lady, but anyone can sing it similar to O Canada. The Star Spangled banner and the Russian anthem sound good with an orchestra but it not very easy to sing for the common person, who IMO is what the Anthems are meant for.

I forgot about Greece winning the Euro's, I am still hung over from that one. That was a huge moment for Canada.
One I enjoyed, anyway. In a convertible on the Danforth, with Americans.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

One I enjoyed, anyway. In a convertible on the Danforth, with Americans.
And people in Canada from coast to coast to coast joined you in that celebration DBD. I love Greece. Even the Inuit and Newfies were pumped for it.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

God Save the Queen is indeed a dirge. The Marseillaise is good, as is the Russian anthem. Fratelli d'Italia is probably my favourite, even Advance Australia Fair is rousing. Of the Home Nations' "Rugby Anthems", there's nothing to stir the soul like a packed Cardiff Arms Park (sorry, Millennium Stadium) belting out Land of My Fathers - so long as the don't go on to win the game, of course.... Flower of Scotland, imho, is down there with GSTQ in terms of its ability to rouse the emotions.
Agree with you re QSTQ ("Scatter her enemies, And make them fall . . ." ). Having lived down with the Bruces briefly, I was driven to tears when a gorgeous rendition of Waltzing Matilda was belted out during a Falcons opener - I found it to be most passionatley recieved by the Diggers.

I see few compare with such as, "Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong/ Under the shade of a coolabah tree/ And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled/ 'You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me' ".
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:04 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
Agree with you re QSTQ ("Scatter her enemies, And make them fall . . ." ). Having lived down with the Bruces briefly, I was driven to tears when a gorgeous rendition of Waltzing Matilda was belted out during a Falcons opener - I found it to be most passionatley recieved by the Diggers.

I see few compare with such as, "Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong/ Under the shade of a coolabah tree/ And he sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled/ 'You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me' ".
It's only 'cause of enforced listening to Rolf Harris when I was younger that I know that the Matilda referred to is his swag-bag into which he tried to stuff a sheep that he rustled. I'm sure the Daily Mail tendency would have a thing or two to say about a nation that has, as its unofficial anthem, a song glorifying criminal behaviour to that extent
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I was visiting a school last week and the children sang God Save the Queen rather than the Canadian song. Its nice to see some schools are really making an effort when it comes to school-standards.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:39 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I was visiting a school last week and the children sang God Save the Queen rather than the Canadian song. Its nice to see some schools are really making an effort when it comes to school-standards.
Perhaps they were singing to save YOU. You shouldn't have worn your wife's frock and frighten the children.
Unless it was sung subsequent to O Canada the people responsible should have their knuckles rapped. It's time Canada dumped the Queen as Head of State. Not needed and, by most people, not wanted anymore.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

It's only 'cause of enforced listening to Rolf Harris when I was younger that I know that the Matilda referred to is his swag-bag into which he tried to stuff a sheep that he rustled. I'm sure the Daily Mail tendency would have a thing or two to say about a nation that has, as its unofficial anthem, a song glorifying criminal behaviour to that extent
Streuth! Rolf's up there (wobble board, et al.) with the luminary likes of John Pertwee and Tom Baker, John Noakes & Shep, Battle Picture Weekly, Dick Emery, Double Agents, rub-on-transfers and Airfix HO/00 Commandos!

Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by dthomas
Streuth! Rolf's up there (wobble board, et al.) with the luminary likes of John Pertwee and Tom Baker, John Noakes & Shep, Battle Picture Weekly, Dick Emery, Double Agents, rub-on-transfers and Airfix HO/00 Commandos!

http://www.airfixtributeforum.co.uk/..._145156356.jpg
Oh indeedy. Not to mention the fascinating witches who put the scintillating stitches in the britches of the boys who put the powder on the noses of the faces of the ladies of the harem of the court of King Caractacus...

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jun 21st 2010 at 7:52 pm. Reason: to add the harem (of course...)
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh indeedy. Not to mention the fascinating witches who put the scintillating stitches in the britches of the boys who put the powder on the noses of the faces of the ladies of the court of King Caractacus...
I had to google that.

Bastard.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Perhaps they were singing to save YOU. You shouldn't have worn your wife's frock and frighten the children.
Unless it was sung subsequent to O Canada the people responsible should have their knuckles rapped. It's time Canada dumped the Queen as Head of State. Not needed and, by most people, not wanted anymore.
I do enjoy your pavlovian responses to Oink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.