Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You know your kids have integrated when....

You know your kids have integrated when....

Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your kids have integrated when....

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Is'nt if funny how many anthems have words to the strong and the free, when I lived iN Australia, it was"Home of the Anzac the strong and the free" Canada "glorious and free, we stand on guard ect sometimes we talk about america (what is the hatred about america??) but are not other countries as
patriotic? ans are we not a bit jealous fo USA patriotism? We have just travelled up through the states, and I have to say I am more than impressed by the way they support their troups, and seem to honour them, I think about the poor boys from Blighty and they are nowhere as well looked after, and some of the people of Britain do not honour them as much as our american neighbours do, what a shame. These poor guys are out there against the odds, and it is against the odds (I have'nt known a gorilla warfare to be defeated yet) givining their lives its obscene IMO If I had my way they would be brought home
Why do you think the American troops are looked after better?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Why do you think the American troops are looked after better?
we used to have a timeshare in Marbella Spain, it included our golf, so we used to play in competitions, in one competiton i was placed with 3 men, one being an american ex marine, the other two where ex squaddies, and listening to the conversation it was so plain that the usa troops had a better benifits package, and were better looked after than the British guys. Then it was followed by news reports that the britsh forces, did'nt have appropriate equipment for the desert, it was scandalous, also if you need more proof ex army generals resigning because their troops did'nt have the necessary equipment for the job??: and felt they were being treated badly confused: the short of it is the British ran out of money and the cutbacks are serious, ask a few of the families who have lost loved ones, and I don't know the whole story, but they do, my last word on this is please tell me who has ever won a gorilla Warfare? I know it will never be won so why waste the lives of innocent young men, seen it all before
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:24 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

please tell me who has ever won a gorilla Warfare?
Charlton Heston?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Charlton Heston?
would'nt it be great if all wars ended like in Holywood, the good guys always win, problem is who are the good guys?? depends where you come from I suppose
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

would'nt it be great if all wars ended like in Holywood, the good guys always win, problem is who are the good guys?? depends where you come from I suppose
Indeed, and the winners write history.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think there's a bigger concern than that in the case of people who emigrate to Canada. If their children were to truly assimilate then the parents would bear the guilt of their cultural deprivation.

Yes, but unfortunately, Aqsa Parvez got to experience her father's culture.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...socialcomments

She told her father she did not wish to wear the hijab any longer. She wanted to dress in Western clothes and have the same freedoms as the other girls in her high school.

"In an interview with police, she says her husband told her he killed his youngest child because "this is my insult. My community will say, 'You have not been able to control your daughter.' This is my insult. She is making me naked."

It is, I think, to assuage the parental conscience that so many children are dispatched to spend the summers in their homelands and are shuffled around ethnic events while in Canada. It seems to me that the lack of New Canadian participation in iced hockey is, at least in part, because it's seen as the quinessential cradle pastime; joining in would be symbolic of assimilation to the children and of failure to the parents.
I think what you are trying to say is that "multi-culturalsim" and sticking to ones own kind should be the way to go. That is the worst policy in existence IMO and sounds quite racist. It has nothing to do with a nation of immigrants coming together like they should be.

BTW, what do you call a "cradle"? 1st generation children from Italy? Portugal? Greece? India? China? 2nd or 3rd generation? Ancestors of earlier immigrants from western Europe and British Isles? Is it simply white people to you? What the hell is a cradle?

Last edited by Lord Vader; Jun 21st 2010 at 12:24 am.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

love both these songs, any one would be great for the national anthem imo I also love OH Canada, and not the star spangled banner, but the other one sorry don't know the name it starts "oh beautiful something I prefer that one
America the Beautiful is what you are thinking of. God Bless America is another one. Before O Canada the Anthem was the Maple Leaf Forever. I like the German anthem myself.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
America the Beautiful is what you are thinking of. God Bless America is another one. Before O Canada the Anthem was the Maple Leaf Forever. I like the German anthem myself.
Yes it is nice, and the Russian one, I do like it as well. and then there are the dire ones, the really boring slow ones, sorry I am hopeless with the names but one I think is the swiss one It is America the Beautiful, I think it is a lovely song.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:19 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Not a patch on the Star Spangled Banner.
Trouble is Star Spangled Banner is not so easy to sing, it goes over nearly everyone's vocal switch point (the place where you, almost physically, have to change alter how you produce your pitch when you sing) & that makes it a problem. Oh Canada stays within most peoples range, so I would argue it is better!

What I won't argue with is that the UK national Anthem is boring & turgid

Lovely story to start this thread! For me I knew my daughter was becoming moper Canadian when I couldn't tell if it was her or her friends talking in the back of the car! Her English accent is disappearing so fast! However, when she reads aloud (or by the time the weekend is over) she sounds really English again!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RN1
Trouble is Star Spangled Banner is not so easy to sing, it goes over nearly everyone's vocal switch point (the place where you, almost physically, have to change alter how you produce your pitch when you sing) & that makes it a problem. Oh Canada stays within most peoples range, so I would argue it is better!
Most people sing badly and should not be encouraged to do so. Better to have an anthem that only a few people will attempt which sounds good when they get it right than one anyone can mumble along to but which never sounds very good. I expect there's a metaphor there somewhere.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think what you are trying to say is that "multi-culturalsim" and sticking to ones own kind should be the way to go. That is the worst policy in existence IMO and sounds quite racist. It has nothing to do with a nation of immigrants coming together like they should be.
Canada is not about immigrants coming together. If you want a "melting pot" philosophy then move to the US. Canada stands for semi-detached citizenship, dash Canadian is something one tacks behind one's primary identity, it's not an identity in itself. I think there's only a case that this policy is racist if you accept "cradle" as being a race. Even then no one seeks to deny any sort of human right to the unhyphenated.

BTW, what do you call a "cradle"? 1st generation children from Italy? Portugal? Greece? India? China? 2nd or 3rd generation? Ancestors of earlier immigrants from western Europe and British Isles? Is it simply white people to you? What the hell is a cradle?
I use it mean someone who has lost track of his or her cultural identity to the extent that he or she can offer no better self-description than "-Canadian" without being sure what goes in front of the dash. It's a running joke here being that one cannot find a person born in Canada to two parents who were born in Canada, I suppose if there is such a person then that's the definitive cradle.

More succinctly, someone for whom the World Cup is not the biggest sporting event of 2010.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Troll

Canada is not about immigrants coming together. If you want a "melting pot" philosophy then move to the US. Canada stands for semi-detached citizenship, dash Canadian is something one tacks behind one's primary identity, it's not an identity in itself. I think there's only a case that this policy is racist if you accept "cradle" as being a race. Even then no one seeks to deny any sort of human right to the unhyphenated.
Canada is all about immigrants coming together, that is what built the country. This segregation sh*t is very recent.

I use it mean someone who has lost track of his or her cultural identity to the extent that he or she can offer no better self-description than "-Canadian" without being sure what goes in front of the dash. It's a running joke here being that one cannot find a person born in Canada to two parents who were born in Canada, I suppose if there is such a person then that's the definitive cradle.

More succinctly, someone for whom the World Cup is not the biggest sporting event of 2010.
so 90% of the country outside the GTA?
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

so 90% of the country outside the GTA?
Outside of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, perhaps.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Troll

Outside of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, perhaps.
sure, the Olympics weren't very popular in Vancouver and the Habs playoff run didn't matter much to montreal, the Hockey team gold medal game shut down Young St in TO I beleive and was watched by about 80% of the country.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RN1
More than the range issue, what really bothers me about pre-game singers of the Star-Spangled Banner is the lack of breath control in the penultimate line. Surely if you're a trained singer you should be able to make it through without that huge "Oh, say does that star-spangled <enormous heaving gulping breath> banner yet wave..." thing going on right in the middle of the phrase?

God Save the Queen is indeed a dirge. The Marseillaise is good, as is the Russian anthem. Fratelli d'Italia is probably my favourite, even Advance Australia Fair is rousing. Of the Home Nations' "Rugby Anthems", there's nothing to stir the soul like a packed Cardiff Arms Park (sorry, Millennium Stadium) belting out Land of My Fathers - so long as the don't go on to win the game, of course.... Flower of Scotland, imho, is down there with GSTQ in terms of its ability to rouse the emotions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.