Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

are you keen on the queen?

are you keen on the queen?

Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:26 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: are you keen on the queen?

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
not hoorah??
I actually typed that. Then deleted. I didn't want you to think I was taking the piss...

.. I'm going to go create a class thread cos I'm not going to win this argument
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:33 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

It was an example of how we are told to change our behaviour for people who for reason of their birth or place in life are considered better than us. A place not earned by achievement. I dont remember anyone else apart from the local MP coming to the school so cant really comment on whether we would have been told anything but i doubt it. The only instructions we had for the queen Ma were how to pronounce "Hooray". It was nothing to do with indulging the elderly, class pure and simple.

The detention remark was meant to be humurous, - i didnt put an emoticon in so that didnt come across.
Honestly though. That's a good point. I really don't think anyone in their right mind considers the Royals better than anyone else by birth. Just richer and given more opportunity, which happens whether there's a Royal family or not.

We're all big enough and bad enough to know they're human beings like us. The tabloids are always full of lurid tales of our 'betters' cheating with their secretaries, sleeping around, meetnig men for sex in the park, taking drugs, not paying child support. You name it.

Just the other week the guy in charge of the TA, Lord suchnsuch, one of the richest men in the country wih a wife and kids was outed for paying for £500 a night hookers.

While I don't like it either, we don't live in a meritocracy and it wont magically appear if we get rid of Liz.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
Honestly though. That's a good point. I really don't think anyone in their right mind considers the Royals better than anyone else by birth. Just richer and given more opportunity, which happens whether there's a Royal family or not.

We're all big enough and bad enough to know they're human beings like us. The tabloids are always full of lurid tales of our 'betters' cheating with their secretaries, sleeping around, meetnig men for sex in the park, taking drugs, not paying child support. You name it.

Just the other week the guy in charge of the TA, Lord suchnsuch, one of the richest men in the country wih a wife and kids was outed for paying for £500 a night hookers.

While I don't like it either, we don't live in a meritocracy and it wont magically appear if we get rid of Liz.
yes you are right, but there does seem to be plenty of people who see the royals as better than us. The royals perpetuate this idea too with their behaviour. I know this is an old argument but perhaps if they were more like the Scadinavian Royals, then the arguments for abolition would be weaker?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Then inflation in the UK must really be awful. I know those girls, like all of us, must make a decent living but that is a still an awful lot of money. Wouldn't that be about a week's wages for most other people?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

yes you are right, but there does seem to be plenty of people who see the royals as better than us. The royals perpetuate this idea too with their behaviour. I know this is an old argument but perhaps if they were more like the Scadinavian Royals, then the arguments for abolition would be weaker?
Them again that is their drawing power. If they were more like the Scandinavian Royals I figure the yanks wouldn't flock to Buckingham Palace.

Anyways now that Charlie is properly married and thus doesn't have to sneak out after hours it seems that the Royals are 'safe'. The boys will eventually get married and settle down (in fact the younger one is off to Afghanistan soon) so I fearlessly predict the Royal household will be relatively scandal free for the forseeable future. So the tabloids will have to invent the stuff.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

As to abolition well I figure if it hasn't happened yet then it is hardly likely to. Ten years hence, twenty, thirty, the Queen or KIng will still be around and Canada will still be a constitutional monarchy, no different than today. QC however might not be part of that equation.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Link - as Mike may find it enlightening - http://www.eurunion.org/welcome/amba...jb20050720.doc
Thanks it was indeed interesting. I read through it twice. So these people are really appointees and aren't elected by the man in the street. I didn't know that.

PS I have been away from Europe too long. 20 ... 30 years ago I used to get The Economist religiously every week. But the price of that publication, about eight dollars with sales taxes, is just out of my reach.

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 18th 2007 at 1:20 pm.