Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

View Poll Results: Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?
Yes
38.04%
No
47.83%
Undecided
18.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Hopefully the powers that be will have sorted out their priorities by then and the healthy will only be trampling those of their own group.

Give them a tiny bit of credit they do appear to be maybe on the right track after numerous false starts.

I read this article about this poor man whose 8yr old son is immunocompromised due to leaukemia. Ordinary flu would be likely to kill him, and his father can't now get a shot (he is his son's only carer and couldn't line up for 6 hrs with his son in the first few days. To me that isn't right and as Jingsamichty said to let healthy albertans trample each other whilst the sick ones who need it aren't physcially able to line up like that- well its madness- and I hope they learn their lessons for the next disease, eg Avian flu etc
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryphea
I read this article about this poor man whose 8yr old son is immunocompromised due to leaukemia. Ordinary flu would be likely to kill him, and his father can't now get a shot (he is his son's only carer and couldn't line up for 6 hrs with his son in the first few days. To me that isn't right and as Jingsamichty said to let healthy albertans trample each other whilst the sick ones who need it aren't physcially able to line up like that- well its madness- and I hope they learn their lessons for the next disease, eg Avian flu etc
It appears they are learning the lesson albeit a little late and they still have a ways to go.

There are so many inconsistencies it's absolutely mind boggling, and the minister who is ultimately responsible just shrugs his shoulders and says it's not his fault.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I am in a high risk group. I have had both the H1N1 and the regular flu vaccines.

I wasn't fussed one way or the other about having the regular flu shot, but definitely concerned about the H1N1 one.

The child's reaction mentioned earlier must have been very alarming for all people involved. Such delayed, transient reactions are common in both children and adults. (I participate in a UK-based doctor's forum, and many doctors have reported feeling similarly unwell and similar events following their own jabs.)

The retroscope is however a great tool, and I feel that the parents certainly did the right thing in having medical input.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It appears they are learning the lesson albeit a little late and they still have a ways to go.

There are so many inconsistencies it's absolutely mind boggling, and the minister who is ultimately responsible just shrugs his shoulders and says it's not his fault.
I find it amazing that he's still in place. I did read a canadian news article yesterday about how the UK have a political resignation culture and how he wouldn't be in place over there but still managing to hang on here.

Its mind boggling- if its not his fault well then he should be fired for not realising he should have an input, quite frankly its either his action and should be fired or his absolute inaction and poor management and should be fired.

Its partly down to this weird right wing philosophy in Alberta, whereby you have the right to do whatever you like and freedom to line up for vaccines denying others the right is a basic freedom. A bit like driving whilst on mobile phones, sod everyone else you have the right to do whatever you like!

From a purely financial perspective rolling the vaccine out to groups that are less likely to take up expensive hospital time, whilst effectively denying it to those that are way more likely to end up in hospital is ridiculous. Its very very poor management of public resources and for that reason he should definatly go..
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

You might find his excema clears up if he is allergic and he's been eating eggs. With eggs, its how they are cooked (or not in the case of a jab) that is the issue as the egg proteins most people are allergic to break down under prolonged heat.
Thats interesting, thanks...i will look more into that.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:30 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodp...vaccin-eng.php

This is from Health Canada's own website and there are quite a few groups for which there is no clinical trial data. So actually if you read the credible sources you do find there is limited trial data and no trial data for some patient cohorts. Thats not BS it is fact.

Gryphea
Its BS when you only read part of the data

When this part is also included

"A prototype or "mock" vaccine was developed in the pre-pandemic period using another strain of influenza virus, the H5N1 strain. During this period Health Canada inspected the vaccine manufacturing facilities, validated the vaccine production process, and reviewed results from both animal and human studies with the mock vaccine. In addition, the safety and effectiveness of the adjuvant to be used with the vaccine was assessed by Health Canada. Once the H1N1 virus emerged as the pandemic virus, the manufacturer initiated vaccine production using the strain recommended by the WHO.

The following data was used to support approval of Arepanrix™ H1N1:

Quality (chemistry and manufacturing) data on the vaccine manufacturing process to support the strain change from H5 to H1,
Information from non-clinical (animal studies) and clinical studies in humans conducted with Arepanrix™ and Pandemrix™, a similar H1N1 pandemic vaccine manufactured by GSK in Germany, and
Safety and other data from the review of the prototype H5N1 vaccine.
Data from clinical trials that became available globally during the authorization process using similar or related pandemic vaccines were also considered. Further clinical studies and surveillance will continue post-authorization."

Granted this particular vaccine in its H1N1 from hasn’t been fully tested, but its H5N1 counterpart has, the adjuvant has, and very similar H1N1 vaccine by another supplier has been tested as well as taking into consideration tests done by other countries

That IMHO is enough due diligence faced with a pandemic to release this vaccine publicly

Last edited by MikeUK; Nov 6th 2009 at 5:33 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I
Granted this particular vaccine in its H1N1 from hasn’t been fully tested, but its H5N1 counterpart has, the adjuvant has, and very similar H1N1 vaccine by another supplier has been tested as well as taking into consideration tests done by other countries

That IMHO is enough due diligence faced with a pandemic to release this vaccine publicly
I am not sure its the case that the adjuvant has been tested on children, especially in the 3months to 35 months range or the 10-17 range.

That doesn't mean I don't necessarily agree with your last statement - but merely that it is wrong to say it has been fully tested.

But some people , with no pre-existing conditions, will look at the trial data and the post-market test data and the paucity of knowledge long-term effects and decide that its not for them. Doesn't mean rolling out the vaccine wasn't the best thing to do, in terms of mass population, I agree with you.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:10 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not getting the shot. Why not? Oh, a few reasons.
I don't fancy standing line for many, many hours. If the line-ups are bad enough for "high priority" cases, imagine what they will be like for the general release.

I've never had the flu shot since coming here and certainly never had it in the UK whilst an adult, and I'm fairly sure my mother never took me to get one when I was a child.

I do have mild asthma and so I could be considered on the "high risk" list, but even still I'm not going to get it. I have a good friend in the UK who is also asthmatic and he actually did contract H1N1, but he's still alive and kicking. He got onto Tamiflu (sp?) once it was confirmed and apart from feeling like death warmed up for the better part of a week he was fine.

I personally don't think it's any more serious than the regular seasonal flu and the media is, as is it's want, whipping the public into a frenzy over this. If we were seeing ≥10 people dying of it daily in, ooh, a few downtown Toronto hospitals, and they were the mid-spectrum types then I'd be a little more concerned.

I am curious to know what, if any, underlying medial issues the 13yr old lad from Etobicoke had. I've not seen anything about that reported. I do recall there being some mention of him being asthmatic, but I could be wrong on that point. As mention this as, to me, this is one of the dew cases where a normal person has contracted and died of H1N1, and very quickly I might add. I think he reported feeling ill on the Thursday evening and died by early Saturday/Sunday.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:46 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I am curious to know what, if any, underlying medial issues the 13yr old lad from Etobicoke had. I've not seen anything about that reported. .
it was in the local news.... ironicly it was mild asthma
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:50 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodp...vaccin-eng.php

This is from Health Canada's own website and there are quite a few groups for which there is no clinical trial data. So actually if you read the credible sources you do find there is limited trial data and no trial data for some patient cohorts. Thats not BS it is fact.

Gryphea
Thankyou
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:57 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
go read from some credible sources, or at least get your medical knowledge up to the standard where you can separate the BS out

otherwise ask a doctor

A vaccine is more than just about preventing you from getting the infection, part of it is preventing the spread of infection by making sure you don’t become contagious spread it around
Actually its down to personal choice at the end of the day, if you chose to have it then fine it may sound selfish, but I'm more concerned about pumping unnecessary drugs into mine and my families bodies if its not needed and in this situation I have the right to be selfish and not think about the effect on everyone else by not having the vaccine.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:59 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Actually its down to personal choice at the end of the day, if you chose to have it then fine it may sound selfish, but I'm more concerned about pumping unnecessary drugs into mine and my families bodies if its not needed and in this situation I have the right to be selfish and not think about the effect on everyone else by not having the vaccine.
Just make sure you don't cough over anyone then.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:59 am
Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Tangram
But isn't the poster a healthcare assistant ?!?!??!
This is the very reason why I have chosen not to have the vaccine I have read to much conflicting evidence and thats why I'm not prepared to take the risk!

Last edited by Bellanova; Nov 7th 2009 at 2:02 am. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:01 am
Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Just make sure you don't cough over anyone then.
Oh I won't and I will make sure that if I feel the need to cough I will do so into my sleeve
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:03 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bellanova
This is the very reason why I have chosen not to have the vaccine I have read to much conflicting evidence and thats why I'm not prepared to take the risk!
So you won't go to work if you are infectious?

Edit
BTW, did you have other vaccines etc?? TB, polio, cholera, yellow fever, malaria,,,, depending on where you have lived and travelled too? How do you decide what is necessary and what isn't?

I had to have shots before I could have surgery recently so I didn't give a second thought to having them. Last week I realised I was getting caught up in this H1N1 hype about the vaccines safety. I did some searches and am happy that it's as safe as any of the others that we get. I don't want to infect anyone vulnerable, I may get the virus and be fine but someone I pass it on to may not be. Nor do I want to lose pay by being off sick. So I've had the shot.

Last edited by fledermaus; Nov 7th 2009 at 2:07 am. Reason: more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.