Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

View Poll Results: Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?
Yes
38.04%
No
47.83%
Undecided
18.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:12 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going to get the H1N1 vaccination?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I can't begin to imagine what Alberta would be like if there was an outbreak of something serious, like ebola, for example. Actually, I take that back... I can imagine, because it would be the same as it is now for this.

The hysteria and over-reaction (yes, it is over-reaction) to a mild flu virus is not something Albertans should be proud of at all.
the "mild flu" you are referring to takes on a whole different look if it hits your lower respiratory area.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:13 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
My son now has flu. Picked him up from school yesterday. He says it came on suddenly and by the time he called me and I took him home he was white as a sheet, had chills with really bad shakes - he couldn't even hold a glass of water to take some Tylenol. He perked up a bit later in the afternoon but went back downhill in the evening. He now has fever, banging headache behind the eyes and a cough.

I feel it is only a matter of time til I get it (Mr Cookie has a cold but not flu). I am pissed because there was no vaccine available. I got the flu shot last year because I work frontline healthcare - but even our residents haven't been able to get their regular flu shots this year, let alone the H1N1 vaccine. They have mental health issues and most of them have health problems too.

Most of our residents live in houses with 2, 3 or 4 housemates and are staffed 24/7 (similar organisation to Cornerstone in the UK). Staff are dropping like flies and several families have already been diagnosed with H1N1 within their immediate family.
Hope your son gets over it soon - defo worth a trip to the docs or ER depending on the severity.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:21 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Hope your son gets over it soon - defo worth a trip to the docs or ER depending on the severity.
Doesn't seem to be too severe but this virus has highs and lows so has to be monitored. You are right about chest complications too. Definitely requires medical treatment.

Although I don't want the flu myself, my main concern is not being able to provide care for those who need it whether it's family or my residents.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:22 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I won't be getting it. Too late, I suspect. My brother in the UK, with whom I spent time last week, is laid up in bed. Last night, we discussed his symptoms with my SIL (a nurse in Montreal). She had little doubt. Vaccination would be of no use to me now.

Casting my mind back, a few of us on here got sick about Feb/March, with very similar symptoms. I think we wrote it off as gastric flu, or somesuch.

I now wonder. I've had flu before, several times. It didn't come with the squits and uncontrollable vomiting.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Souvy
I won't be getting it. Too late, I suspect. My brother in the UK, with whom I spent time last week, is laid up in bed. Last night, we discussed his symptoms with my SIL (a nurse in Montreal). She had little doubt. Vaccination would be of no use to me now.

Casting my mind back, a few of us on here got sick about Feb/March, with very similar symptoms. I think we wrote it off as gastric flu, or somesuch.

I now wonder. I've had flu before, several times. It didn't come with the squits and uncontrollable vomiting.

But, not all H1N1 comes with vomitting or squirts. These are symptoms, yes, but not in all cases.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:38 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't begin to imagine what Alberta would be like if there was an outbreak of something serious, like ebola, for example. Actually, I take that back... I can imagine, because it would be the same as it is now for this.

The hysteria and over-reaction (yes, it is over-reaction) to a mild flu virus is not something Albertans should be proud of at all.
Yes this may well be a mild flu virus for most of us, but and it's a big but for some people it can be a killer and there is no real way of predicting who it may affect severely.

So there is real reason for some concern, panic maybe overstating things.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:42 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

In NS, regular flu always seems to come with squits and vomiting. If we had that in the UK we would call that gastic/stomach flu. In fact most people here who have had a sickness/diahorrea call that flu too even when there are no other 'flu' symptoms.

If you have had flu several times you should consider getting an annual flu shot (chance would be a fine thing right now of course).
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:57 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yes this may well be a mild flu virus for most of us, but and it's a big but for some people it can be a killer and there is no real way of predicting who it may affect severely.
Absolutely.

Last week I was in an at risk group. I know there are things I am less capable of doing than a year ago -cutting the grass, walking 20 minutes without becoming heavy legged, staying awake so I'm quite prepared to accept I am more at risk of complications.

Of more concern is the fact I'm carer for my wife who qualified under last week's 'at risk' list several times over.

The priority list was considerably shortened, displacing the sick and disabled completely and clinics were cancelled left right and centre.

The health officials said they would be looking at how to vaccinate the displaced 'at risk' folk but all that's happened (a week on) is the announcement of a few clinics for all next week. Last week a clinic for the original priority people only was swamped by all and sundry; Understandably in some cases, less so in others. There was a three hour wait outside in sub zero temps before the 90 minute wait inside.

What's it going to be like when everyone is wanting to go and allowed to go and you can't stand for extended periods or you're waiting in a wheelchair in the cold?

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 6th 2009 at 2:02 am.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:34 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What's it going to be like when everyone is wanting to go and allowed to go and you can't stand for extended periods or you're waiting in a wheelchair in the cold?
Don't come to Calgary, then. The sick and the needy will be trampled in the queue at the clinic by thousands of perfectly healthy neurotic Albertans who "have to" get their shots first.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:37 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't come to Calgary, then. The sick and the needy will be trampled in the queue at the clinic by thousands of perfectly healthy neurotic Albertans who "have to" get their shots first.
Hopefully the powers that be will have sorted out their priorities by then and the healthy will only be trampling those of their own group.

Give them a tiny bit of credit they do appear to be maybe on the right track after numerous false starts.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Those symptoms are more common in children - sounds like you had gastroentirtus (however spelt). That comes with fever/vomiting etc mmm..... nice!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Give them a tiny bit of credit they do appear to be maybe on the right track after numerous false starts.
Sadly, NB seems about to repeat the mistakes of last week.

The officials are bragging about a larger percentage of the province having been vaccinated than other places even though the 'at risk' groups haven't been done.

It's a real contrast with the situation in Ontario if the comments on BE were anything to go by...websites giving waiting times, activities organised for kids, flexible hours to cut down on waiting times, doubling the number of clinics.....while NB has been cancelling them.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:01 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
Those symptoms are more common in children - sounds like you had gastroentirtus (however spelt). That comes with fever/vomiting etc mmm..... nice!
Oh yes. Very nice. There is nothing quite like having to clean up when your vomit made it to the bathroom before you did. I never thought I could puke that far.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:07 am
Oscar nominated

I never thought I could puke that far.
"Weak stomach?"
"Waddya mean, I can throw it further than you!!"
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
He's never had an allergy to eggs, but in a concentrated from - who knows. I just know he reacted badly to something so am gonna get him checked out, so we know for future.
You might find his excema clears up if he is allergic and he's been eating eggs. With eggs, its how they are cooked (or not in the case of a jab) that is the issue as the egg proteins most people are allergic to break down under prolonged heat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.