British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Would you forgive an affair?............... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/would-you-forgive-affair-662302/)

dollface Apr 2nd 2010 12:24 am

Would you forgive an affair?...............

Lifted this from the Dingo forum - interesting - discuss....................;)

pthom Apr 2nd 2010 12:51 am

Re: Would you forgive an affair?...............

No! I'm old fashioned, fidelity means everything to me!

mandymoochops Apr 2nd 2010 1:26 am

had it done to me in the past, forgave as he could charm his way out of anything, but he carried on doing it again so we broke up. That was then.

Now?

No-one is going to make me feel like that again, I would take great pleasure in smashing up the truck, the flat screen, the quad, all of his fishing gear, putting wood glue down the barrels of his guns, jumping on the games consoles, putting a big hole in the underside of the boat and setting fire to the sled and the hunting shack.

And would do all of the above with pleasure.

Then would find out who the trollope was that he had an affair with and whether she knew he was married or not, would kick 10 barrells of shit out of her too - just because.

(I have a bad temper)

Novocastrian Apr 2nd 2010 1:55 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 8466952)
had it done to me in the past, forgave as he could charm his way out of anything, but he carried on doing it again so we broke up. That was then.

Now?

No-one is going to make me feel like that again, I would take great pleasure in smashing up the truck, the flat screen, the quad, all of his fishing gear, putting wood glue down the barrels of his guns, jumping on the games consoles, putting a big hole in the underside of the boat and setting fire to the sled and the hunting shack.

Then would find out who the trollope was that he had an affair with and whether she knew he was married or not, would kick 10 barrells of shit out of her too - just because.

(I have a bad temper)

Really? It never shows.

TheThornes Apr 2nd 2010 1:55 am

Remind me never to get on your wrong side!!!

Now?

(I have a bad temper)

dollface Apr 2nd 2010 2:31 am

Now?

(I have a bad temper)

:scaredhair:

dollface Apr 2nd 2010 2:41 am

Not heard from any men yet.............come on guys, Rae, Al, Oink, LV, DBD etc lets hear from ya!

purple80 Apr 2nd 2010 3:15 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8467015)
Not heard from any men yet.............come on guys, Rae, Al, Oink, LV, DBD etc lets hear from ya!

Lets see, I'm killing mine and spending the insurance, MMC is smacking seven bells out of everything around her and you wonder why the men are staying quiet? :rofl:

dollface Apr 2nd 2010 3:22 am

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 8467032)
Lets see, I'm killing mine and spending the insurance, MMC is smacking seven bells out of everything around her and you wonder why the men are staying quiet? :rofl:

:rofl: true - but I still want to hear from them - don't you?:eek:

mandymoochops Apr 2nd 2010 4:25 am

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 8467032)

We could do a Thelma and Louise :thumbup:

Edited to add on a more serious note, a good male friend a while back actually said to me "Mand if you believe that any man would pass it up if he had it laid on a plate in front of him, without anyone ever being able to find out, then you're stupid"

Whether any of you guys out there would admit to it or not I doubt - but I think he's right.

dollface Apr 2nd 2010 4:29 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 8467089)
We could do a Thelma and Louise :thumbup:

Who'd be Brad Pitt?

The4BellsLondon Apr 2nd 2010 5:33 am

Hmm - well I did - AFTER FULL VENGANCE!! :thumbup:

DandNHill Apr 2nd 2010 9:14 am

I wouldn't forgive! I trust my husband 100% so I think I would be too devastated if he did that to me!
(My ex was different, he had a wandering eye so I don't think it would have hurt so much - weird to say that really when he is my ex??!!??):confused:

Elaine B. Apr 2nd 2010 12:38 pm

Interesting question I guess it depends on a few things like would any of you be more likely to forgive a one night stand or an ongoing affair?

scottishcelts Apr 2nd 2010 2:36 pm

:sneaky:;)

ann m Apr 2nd 2010 2:43 pm

I might eventually forgive - but I would never forget - and therefore the trust would be gone .... completely.

An affair would be much worse than a one night stand.

I don't think I'd go for revenge, I'd go for the martyr option, polishing my halo on a daily basis. :lol:

Coffeepot Apr 2nd 2010 2:46 pm

I didn't and found a younger man :thumbsup:
would i if it happened again probably not :sneaky:

Pammy Apr 2nd 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8466868)

With a man, woman or animal:confused::rofl:

Almost Canadian Apr 2nd 2010 3:09 pm

No - end of

As for the "all men would do it" I don't believe that that is true at all. Let's face it, while this is not bullet proof, it is not that difficult to work out those that would and those that wouldn't. Just like it wasn't that difficult to see who the slappers were and who the knobs were in our younger days.

scottishcelts Apr 2nd 2010 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8467937)
With a man, woman or animal:confused::rofl:

She's not that arsed really (p.s - she's from Edinburgh, they have a ....let's say, a bit of a reputation :ohmy:)

dollface Apr 2nd 2010 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8467997)
She's not that arsed really (p.s - she's from Edinburgh, they have a ....let's say, a bit of a reputation :ohmy:)

:rofl: you must be confusing it with Weegieland, too many bottles of Buckfast has crossed your lips;):lol:

lins and Stef McLachlan Apr 2nd 2010 3:53 pm

Hi
It will be interesting to hear from some men, but in my opinion (for what it is worth) If Men do the dirty....women need to forgive and forget....if women do it....Men treat them as soiled goods and as their male pride is truly dented...a lot less forgiveness. I have seen the way my husband reacted when a close friend's wife did it to him.....and it were not pretty, I can tell you.
Do you ever hear a man called a slut, slag or whore for sowing wild oats?????? NO....but let a woman do it and there is no worse creature, in their eyes, on earth!!!!
Don't think I could forgive..........wouldn't want to put myself through the wringer everytime he was outta my sight. Trust is trust....a fragile thing....no....couldn't forgive. Anyway mine snores.....so nights alone would hold some appeal for me....lol.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8466868)

dollface Apr 2nd 2010 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan (Post 8468018)
Hi
It will be interesting to hear from some men, but in my opinion (for what it is worth) If Men do the dirty....women need to forgive and forget....if women do it....Men treat them as soiled goods and as their male pride is truly dented...a lot less forgiveness. I have seen the way my husband reacted when a close friend's wife did it to him.....and it were not pretty, I can tell you.
Do you ever hear a man called a slut, slag or whore for sowing wild oats?????? NO....but let a woman do it and there is no worse creature, in their eyes, on earth!!!!
Don't think I could forgive..........wouldn't want to put myself through the wringer everytime he was outta my sight. Trust is trust....a fragile thing....no....couldn't forgive. Anyway mine snores.....so nights alone would hold some appeal for me....lol.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:lol
Stef

:rofl::thumbsup:

christmasoompa Apr 2nd 2010 5:58 pm

Personally, it would depend. We've got two kids and over a decade of marriage together, so I'd work hard to forgive a one night stand. An affair would be a different matter though, if it had gone on for a while then I'd kick him out and contact MMC for vengeance tips!

Oink Apr 2nd 2010 9:06 pm

Yes, if she was really hot.

Tangram Apr 2nd 2010 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8468620)
Yes, if she was really hot.

Like you having anyone hot is a possibility :sneaky:

scottishcelts Apr 2nd 2010 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8468001)
:rofl: you must be confusing it with Weegieland, too many bottles of Buckfast has crossed your lips;):lol:

Qui? :lol:

dbd33 Apr 3rd 2010 12:09 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8467015)

Today I survived riding in the desert on a horse called, not by accident, "Buck". Deeper thoughts than "my thighs are throbbing" will have to wait for another day.

The4BellsLondon Apr 3rd 2010 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 8468754)
Like you having anyone hot is a possibility :sneaky:

me? ;)

Alberta_Rose Apr 3rd 2010 3:40 am

How about "on-line" affairs? Are they any less of an offence? :unsure:

The4BellsLondon Apr 3rd 2010 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose (Post 8468985)

worse?/ psycologically damaging? thats spelt wrong innit!! :rofl:

Oink Apr 3rd 2010 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose (Post 8468985)

They don't even count.

Calgal Apr 3rd 2010 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8468994)
They don't even count.

Oh they so do - trust me!

JGK Apr 3rd 2010 1:40 pm

If your partner (male/female) "cheats" (for want of a better word), it destroys the trust in the relationship that you will never recover.

IMO, the biggest hurdle to cheating is on the first occasion, after that they'll think they can get away with it on subsequent occasions.

Best off calling it a day and going your separate ways.

Coffeepot Apr 3rd 2010 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Calgal (Post 8469026)
Oh they so do - trust me!

Agree with you calgal :ohmy:

Originally Posted by JGK (Post 8469672)
If your partner (male/female) "cheats" (for want of a better word), it destroys the trust in the relationship that you will never recover.

IMO, the biggest hurdle to cheating is on the first occasion, after that they'll think they can get away with it on subsequent occasions.

Best off calling it a day and going your separate ways.

We have friends whos hubby had an affair 2 years ago its been such an awful roller coaster for all incl the children, they now have another and are still going from one day to the next,

It has totally destroyed any trust and things will never be the same,

very sad for what ?

scottandsel Apr 3rd 2010 10:16 pm

Now?

(I have a bad temper)

with mandymoochops on this one!!! i'd def have a new pair of trophy earings thats for sure!!!!

fledermaus Apr 3rd 2010 11:27 pm

It depends on whether or not you have children, how rich you are, where you live, where your family lives, how you can manage when you split, how desperate you are.

sparkling_gal Apr 4th 2010 1:58 am

No way. With my ex, I forgave one affair after another, even though I was desperately unhappy in the marriage. Eventually, I'd had enough and I threw him out. Looking back, I wasted a lot of years forgiving someone who didn't deserve it.

lins and Stef McLachlan Apr 4th 2010 5:49 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8470429)
It depends on whether or not you have children, how rich you are, where you live, where your family lives, how you can manage when you split, how desperate you are.

Hi
I thought time had moved on from this scenario. It was certainly true years ago, but with the welfare system in place....and more women gaining independence through work, I don't think these points are as relevant as they were. I do think that it all depends on whether you feel that you still love the person and hope it was a one off deviation......continual affairs though...destroy that love eventually. Having divorced without children years ago...at the time it was hard...but got to the stage where I knew I could live well without him....so filed for divorce. I believe he died a couple of years ago in his mid 40's due to alcohol abuse over many years, and women or course. Glad I got the hell out of it. Also once you have divorced once....it would be easier to do the second time...as would not hold the same fear....you know, you survived it once...could survive it again.

I have now been happily remarried for 17 years...together for 20....but if he strayed......off with his head.....I would be kicking him out and keeping the kids (13 and 15) with me if they wanted to stay.
with me.....that is
lol
Stef

Dave+Jules Apr 4th 2010 1:29 pm

As a man, no I wouldnt forgive. For me it is about the trust we give each other.

On the answer about having it offered on a plate, with no relationship attached. I can tell you here is one who refused (more than once). It wasn't easy, but I kept thinking about the investment made in the relationship and the fact that we had two children.

If you want to understand why I turned it down. IMy experience as a child of the impact on the family. My mum forgave and forgave ad infinitum, they are still together at 70+ but the marriage was a bitter one. My father couldnt afford to leave (four of us and mortgage) and ditto for my Mum. Boy does she make him pay continually for his affairs:(

Jules and I celebrated 28 years being married yesterday and we are still best friends, lovers and partners:D