British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Would you forgive an affair?............... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/would-you-forgive-affair-662302/)

dbd33 Apr 4th 2010 3:48 am

Re: Would you forgive an affair?...............

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan (Post 8470855)
Hi
I thought time had moved on from this scenario.

It applies to the man, doesn't it? At least under Ontario laws. He can afford to leave only if he can maintain the family he is leaving in the manner to which they are accustomed and support a new life for himself. A woman who has been in a single earner household for an extended period need not be primarily concerned with finance in deciding whether or not to end the relationship, whereas a man must be.

In answer to the original question, I'm not good at that, even when the affair is not directly a threat; a woman having an affair with a woman, for example, offers something a relationship with a man cannot and, I suppose, one ought to be able to turn a blind eye. I can't do that though, not turn a blind eye and look after the horses.

DaveLovesDee Apr 4th 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8466868)
Lifted this from the Dingo forum - interesting - discuss....................;)

No! I couldn't, wouldn't and shouldn't have to forgive.

If a person's partner has the time and energy to have an affair, especially if they use the excuse that these things are missing from their normal relationship, then could have damn well made the same effort for their partner.

I'll also state that there have been times when it's been offered on a plate (especially when working in bars), but I've always had (and always will have) respect for my partners. In many of those cases it's been married or single women looking for a quick fling with a married guy and justifying it as no-strings attached.

If a person is regularly put in that position and feels tempted, they need to change that situation.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 8466952)
(I have a bad temper)

It shows when you're out of cigarettes lol. :p ;)

Bali2010 Apr 4th 2010 7:47 pm

Can't talk from personal experience, but don't think I ever could.

Find married work colleagues could get a little too close on occasion & that feels pretty grim, so like to ask about their families deliberately.
Didn't always work, so a swift exit can be required.

Booze plus work off sites never a good idea for some people - why they then think it could be at all attractive to others is beyond me.

Lord Vader Apr 5th 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8467015)
Not heard from any men yet.............come on guys, Rae, Al, Oink, LV, DBD etc lets hear from ya!

I dunno Doll, I would have to know the details of the situation. I couldn't make a set of rules in stone for something with many complex possibilities and outcomes. If it was just sex with some random person, meh, I would probably get over it and it would give me a good excuse to shag someone else. Let's face it, sex with someone else doesn't mean that you don't love the person you are with or that you have fallen in love with the person you had sex with, at least not for me anyway.

Do you think Tiger Woods was looking for a new wife when he was banging all those women? The only reason he talked to those women in person is because he had too. If he could have had is butler arrange air travel straight into his living room for a one hour stop over, well, that is they way it would have went down.

This is where "just sex" can be complicated though. Most men (that I know) would be perfectly fine with having some attractive woman bent over the desk, table, car etc and the whole thing be over with in less than 30 minutes from hello to goodbye. They wouldn't care if they saw her again or even what her name is. Most women on the other hand (or at least the ones I know) wouldn't do that. There would have to be some type of chase or courtship or some type of romance involved before sex happens. This is were the phone calls and secret meetings and all of the other stuff take place. Emotions get involved and it all gets overly complicated and mistakes are made that lead to getting caught. It would all be easier if women were as slutty as men wouldn't it?

BristolUK Apr 5th 2010 9:50 am

It's probably "not what it looks like."

:lol:

geo4 Apr 5th 2010 9:52 am

Funny but most people who posted in this thread have prob been cheated on and don't know.

tee-hee-hee.

Life's funny.

JonboyE Apr 5th 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 8474458)
Most men (that I know) would be perfectly fine with having some attractive woman bent over the desk, table, car etc and the whole thing be over with in less than 30 minutes from hello to goodbye.

30 minutes! What do you do for the other 28?

dollface Apr 5th 2010 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 8474458)
I dunno Doll, I would have to know the details of the situation. I couldn't make a set of rules in stone for something with many complex possibilities and outcomes. If it was just sex with some random person, meh, I would probably get over it and it would give me a good excuse to shag someone else. Let's face it, sex with someone else doesn't mean that you don't love the person you are with or that you have fallen in love with the person you had sex with, at least not for me anyway.

Do you think Tiger Woods was looking for a new wife when he was banging all those women? The only reason he talked to those women in person is because he had too. If he could have had is butler arrange air travel straight into his living room for a one hour stop over, well, that is they way it would have went down.

This is where "just sex" can be complicated though. Most men (that I know) would be perfectly fine with having some attractive woman bent over the desk, table, car etc and the whole thing be over with in less than 30 minutes from hello to goodbye. They wouldn't care if they saw her again or even what her name is. Most women on the other hand (or at least the ones I know) wouldn't do that. There would have to be some type of chase or courtship or some type of romance involved before sex happens. This is were the phone calls and secret meetings and all of the other stuff take place. Emotions get involved and it all gets overly complicated and mistakes are made that lead to getting caught. It would all be easier if women were as slutty as men wouldn't it?

You're correct, situations vary in complexity and it's difficult to comment/pass judgement unless you've been in that situation. Fortunately, I have not, and as much as you can never say 110% that your spouse/partner has never cheated on you, I would chance my arm and say my hubs has not cheated on me. Could I forgive him if he had?, probably not, as when the trust goes, what do you have left to build on? not much in my humble opinion.

I do believe there is a difference between a one night stand purely for sex and a full blown affair, but only in terms of emotions - however, trust is trust and once broken, difficult if not near impossible to regain.

mandymoochops Apr 5th 2010 1:12 pm

The worse thing about being cheated on is that you are invariably the last one to find out. I was for sure.

Then all your friends come out with "well we kinda knew but didn't want to say anything to hurt your feelings" :eek:

Oh f*****g really :frown:

Being the last to find out makes the whole deal 10 times worse, so my advice to anyone who knows someone is screwing around, do the right thing and bring it to the spouses attention.

Whether or not they choose to do anything about it is their choice - but at least now they have the option :thumbup:

dollface Apr 5th 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 8474787)
The worse thing about being cheated on is that you are invariably the last one to find out. I was for sure.

Then all your friends come out with "well we kinda knew but didn't want to say anything to hurt your feelings" :eek:

Oh f*****g really :frown:

Being the last to find out makes the whole deal 10 times worse, so my advice to anyone who knows someone is screwing around, do the right thing and bring it to the spouses attention.

Whether or not they choose to do anything about it is their choice - but at least now they have the option :thumbup:

I'd want to know for sure, as heartbreaking as it would be. No need to continue the humiliation as well as the hurt.

ann m Apr 5th 2010 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by geo4 (Post 8474467)
Funny but most people who posted in this thread have prob been cheated on and don't know.

tee-hee-hee.

Life's funny.

Nice :blink:

dollface Apr 5th 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 8474928)
Nice :blink:

He's talking bollox:sneaky::lol:

DaveLovesDee Apr 5th 2010 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by geo4 (Post 8474467)

tee-hee-hee.

Life's funny.

Most people who post statistics or probabilities without linking to supporting evidence, are probably making things up. :p

Elizabeth I Apr 5th 2010 8:51 pm

yes I would forgive

Caitilin Apr 6th 2010 4:01 am

I think it depends.

If its a one night stand or an affair without my knowledge - no chance in hell, off to the pits! No way would I accept that.

But if he needed something I couldn't give, and we'd discussed it beforehand and agreed on it...maybe. Depending on what it was that I theoretically coudn't give. Like having male body parts. As I said. Maybe, under those circumstances only.

Souvy Apr 6th 2010 4:26 am

I would not forgive even a drunken quickie. I am not a forgiving person.

dollface Apr 6th 2010 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Caitilin (Post 8476267)
I think it depends.

If its a one night stand or an affair without my knowledge - no chance in hell, off to the pits! No way would I accept that.

But if he needed something I couldn't give, and we'd discussed it beforehand and agreed on it...maybe. Depending on what it was that I theoretically coudn't give. Like having male body parts. As I said. Maybe, under those circumstances only.

Wow, you're really open minded - i'm just not wired like that..........

Caitilin Apr 6th 2010 5:41 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8476505)

And I can understand that too. ;-)

another bloody yank Apr 6th 2010 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Caitilin (Post 8476267)
I think it depends.

:huh:

Had to read that twice.

dollface Apr 6th 2010 5:45 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8476542)
:huh:

Had to read that twice.

:rofl: it is really meant to say wired and not weird! I wouldn't be so rude:eek::lol:

Chookie Apr 6th 2010 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 8467718)
Interesting question I guess it depends on a few things like would any of you be more likely to forgive a one night stand or an ongoing affair?

A one night stand yes, I would be more likely to forgive, especially if he came clean and admitted it. I would make him really regret it though!

But an ongoing affair? where he has been lying to me for months on end? No F-ing way! One thing I cannot stand is being lied to.

DaveLovesDee Apr 6th 2010 7:34 am

Consider this. If someone cheats once they can do it again, especially if they weren't found out the first time.

I've heard of cases where mistresses became wives after the guy's previous wife divorced him for cheating, yet the second wives were shocked when their guy then cheated on them during that marriage. For some, it's nothing more than the thrill of the chase.

No forgiveness, no sympathy and no excuses. End of.

fledermaus Apr 6th 2010 7:47 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 8476794)
Consider this. If someone cheats once they can do it again, especially if they weren't found out the first time.

I've heard of cases where mistresses became wives after the guy's previous wife divorced him for cheating, yet the second wives were shocked when their guy then cheated on them during that marriage. For some, it's nothing more than the thrill of the chase.

You know the saying- A man who marries his mistress creates a vacancy.

dollface Apr 6th 2010 8:47 am

Originally Posted by CaptainHook (Post 8476794)

Well you know what they say (whoever they are) "If he/she can do it with you, they can do it to you"

el_richo Apr 6th 2010 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 8467089)
Edited to add on a more serious note, a good male friend a while back actually said to me "Mand if you believe that any man would pass it up if he had it laid on a plate in front of him, without anyone ever being able to find out, then you're stupid"

Whether any of you guys out there would admit to it or not I doubt - but I think he's right.

Sorry Mand but i think he's wrong in this. Maybe he's unable to pass it up........

triumphguy Apr 7th 2010 10:50 am

Never have cheated. Neither has OH.:cool::wub:
I absolutely trust that she would never cheat - I bet my future on it!:thumbsup:

Theoretically, would I forgive? Once yes, twice no.

scottishcelts Apr 7th 2010 12:52 pm

Hence the jail sentence for the last castration :lol::unsure:

dollface Apr 7th 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8480213)
Hence the jail sentence for the last castration :lol::unsure:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: only 2 rofls for your comment the last one was for your new sig:p:lol:

scottishcelts Apr 7th 2010 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8480237)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: only 2 rofls for your comment the last one was for your new sig:p:lol:

;) knew you'd love it!

dollface Apr 7th 2010 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8480261)
;) knew you'd love it!

I know you knew i'd love it:lol:

scottishcelts Apr 7th 2010 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8480263)
I know you knew i'd love it:lol:

I knew you knew that I'd know that you'd love it :unsure::eek:

funkapillar Apr 7th 2010 7:53 pm

no

funkapillar Apr 7th 2010 7:54 pm

and again no

Zhanna Apr 8th 2010 10:20 am

Forgiving is a beautiful act and comes easy to many people, making them feel better within themselves and appear gracious to the others. Forgetting, on the other hand, is something that very few can do voluntarily, especially as there is no noble status attached to it... Remembering can be ugly, and this seems to be the main killer in the majority of post-infidelity relationships...
As for 100% trusting your partner... I think that it is a sweet utopia - just like when my forefathers in the beginning of the 20th century thought they could build a country where everyone would be equal - it's simply against human nature. There is no way to predict all the circumstances and moods of the future, changes within yourself and your other half, just as it is impossible to know if at some point there will be all the components present for a perfect storm one day, and your house will or will not be in the middle of it. All I can do is hope and pray that my home is strong enough...

nldfc Apr 8th 2010 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 8466952)
had it done to me in the past, forgave as he could charm his way out of anything, but he carried on doing it again so we broke up. That was then.

Now?

No-one is going to make me feel like that again, I would take great pleasure in smashing up the truck, the flat screen, the quad, all of his fishing gear, putting wood glue down the barrels of his guns, jumping on the games consoles, putting a big hole in the underside of the boat and setting fire to the sled and the hunting shack.

And would do all of the above with pleasure.

Then would find out who the trollope was that he had an affair with and whether she knew he was married or not, would kick 10 barrells of shit out of her too - just because.

(I have a bad temper)

:eek: You werent married to me around 1997 by any chance were you ;)

Mountain Girl Apr 8th 2010 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Zhanna (Post 8482744)
Forgiving is a beautiful act and comes easy to many people, making them feel better within themselves and appear gracious to the others. Forgetting, on the other hand, is something that very few can do voluntarily, especially as there is no noble status attached to it... Remembering can be ugly, and this seems to be the main killer in the majority of post-infidelity relationships...
As for 100% trusting your partner... I think that it is a sweet utopia - just like when my forefathers in the beginning of the 20th century thought they could build a country where everyone would be equal - it's simply against human nature. There is no way to predict all the circumstances and moods of the future, changes within yourself and your other half, just as it is impossible to know if at some point there will be all the components present for a perfect storm one day, and your house will or will not be in the middle of it. All I can do is hope and pray that my home is strong enough...

Great post.

Mountain Girl Apr 8th 2010 5:21 pm

As a child from a relationship where extra marital affairs were rife, no I would not have an affair myself or forgive it. I have experienced the devastation it causes and would never inflict that pain on someone else or there family.

.......if my eye was going to stray, I would make sure I was free to do just that....

canadian_critic Apr 10th 2010 2:36 pm

Surely a lot would depend on whether the offender admitted to it first, or just got caught doing it. Either way, taking such liberties on a relationship is a really bad sign. There can't be many relationships where this happens, is forgiven and then there's no repercussions.

I would not forgive unless I genuinely felt in my heart that I'd done something to actually cause it.

CanadaJimmy Apr 12th 2010 10:56 am

I think if you agree to be in a relationship with someone, and you cheat, then you've effectively violated the most intimate agreement between two human beings. That being said, if the person really means everything and are exceptional, then it wouldn't be that easy to just end it. Believing that you could find anyone that special again would be extremely difficult. So I think this is a very open and difficult question to answer since there are so many variables.

lins and Stef McLachlan Apr 12th 2010 5:17 pm

HI
Yes I agree with what you have said....but hand on heart, does anyone ever get over the betrayal....is the relationship ever going to be the same again?
It is all to do with Love and Trust......May Love, but find it very hard to Trust again.....as you say a hard one!
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 8491296)
I think if you agree to be in a relationship with someone, and you cheat, then you've effectively violated the most intimate agreement between two human beings. That being said, if the person really means everything and are exceptional, then it wouldn't be that easy to just end it. Believing that you could find anyone that special again would be extremely difficult. So I think this is a very open and difficult question to answer since there are so many variables.