Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

Originally Posted by iaink
If you cant afford it then dont buy new... Id rather have somethignw ith a good crash test record thats a few years old than a new vehicle with a poor test performance.
Ah, but you're an engineer and a car-lover. Anything will do for me, so long as it's under warranty. On the second hand approach: been there, done that, don't have the time anymore.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:42 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
At an accounting conference I attended 8 years ago GM was highlighted as an example of a company that was insolvent by any definition other than an accounting one!

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about the role of a labour union in the 21st century. I come from a background where the NUM was considered more important to our lives than the Church. I don't think Arthur Scargill's insistence on a showdown with the Snatcher (and I know it wasn't one sided) did much to promote miners' interests.

Similarly, the autoworkers' union will have failed their members if GM cannot support their pensions.

Shouldn’t unions be looking after their members best long-term interests by helping the employer achieve competitiveness?
Remember that a union is a going concern - to make money they need to have a maximum number of members. Membership decisions are short term decisions, so a union's decision making will be short term.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:47 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eve N
Looks like a site I should be looking at before we but our car.
I can't made head nor tail of the jardon...Whats Fuel up? (everytime one puts more gas in the tank?) and MPG ?

iaink, what would be your advice on which make and model to buy? OH wants a SUV but realises it not practical nor eco friendly we are looking at mini vans..
Thanks
We bought a Mazda MPV - a bit smaller than a Honda or Toyota, but a bit cheaper too. Handles really well for a van and is comfortable. A good choice for us.

It's a discontinued model - look for LX rather than DX as the DX entry model has no ABS and I think that's dangerous in a snowy country.

If you want something newer, the Mazda 5 is good too - again smaller than the MPV, will only seat 6 rather than 7 but is more like a car than a van. There are few available on the second hand market as it's a newish car.