Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:58 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

Originally Posted by MarkG
They were 'affordable' because most of the costs were pushed out two or three decades in the future; by which time the managers would have taken their bonuses and stock options and either retired or found other work.

Guess what? Today is two or three decades in the future and the bill has arrived... and the auto makers can't pay it. The US government has a similar problem with its expensive, unfunded retirement benefits that are about to explode over the next 10-20 years.
At an accounting conference I attended 8 years ago GM was highlighted as an example of a company that was insolvent by any definition other than an accounting one!

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about the role of a labour union in the 21st century. I come from a background where the NUM was considered more important to our lives than the Church. I don't think Arthur Scargill's insistence on a showdown with the Snatcher (and I know it wasn't one sided) did much to promote miners' interests.

Similarly, the autoworkers' union will have failed their members if GM cannot support their pensions.

Shouldn’t unions be looking after their members best long-term interests by helping the employer achieve competitiveness?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
At an accounting conference I attended 8 years ago GM was highlighted as an example of a company that was insolvent by any definition other than an accounting one!

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about the role of a labour union in the 21st century. I come from a background where the NUM was considered more important to our lives than the Church. I don't think Arthur Scargill's insistence on a showdown with the Snatcher (and I know it wasn't one sided) did much to promote miners' interests.

Similarly, the autoworkers' union will have failed their members if GM cannot support their pensions.

Shouldn’t unions be looking after their members best long-term interests by helping the employer achieve competitiveness?
GM have already off-loaded the pension scheme.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:16 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

But in order to do that management has to change its attitude towards its workers.

The workers have to be viewed as an asset not a liability.

It's a two way street and north American employers don't always see it that way.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:33 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

At an accounting conference I attended..
Dear God.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:58 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Yep, Unions have always been pretty stupid and shortsighted. Always make me laugh the way they pull their members out on strike when a company is going down the pan, who the hell does that help?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:39 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
GM have already off-loaded the pension scheme.
I didn't know that. I know it is insured by the Federal Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp., but I don't think they have escaped their obligation to continue to fund the pensions and benefits (yes, I should have been more precise earlier) of current an dpast employees.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:41 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Steve_P
But in order to do that management has to change its attitude towards its workers.

The workers have to be viewed as an asset not a liability.

It's a two way street and north American employers don't always see it that way.
No argument from me.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:46 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Dear God.
I once went on a course, for accountants only, to train us in public speaking. At the end of the course I was voted the funniest speaker. I have yet to work out if:

a) It was a Herculean effort of comedy genius to make accountants laugh, or

b) being the funniest of a bunch of accountants is not exactly something to be proud of.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:03 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I once went on a course, for accountants only, to train us in public speaking. At the end of the course I was voted the funniest speaker. I have yet to work out if:

b) being the funniest of a bunch of accountants is not exactly something to be proud of.
LOL.

It's almost Pythonesque.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:08 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I envisage a collection of random Mr Bean sorts.

R.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:45 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

They had you pinned as a wild one as soon as they saw your Homer Simpson socks...!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:25 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
LOL.

It's almost Pythonesque.
The secretly all want to be lion tamers.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Latest news on the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7736301.stm
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:28 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I would recommend a GM vehicle especially the Tahoe & Yukons excellent people and cargo movers.Very comfortable and the quality of American autos have improved a great deal.Better than most European makes yet still lagging behind the Japanese.

Seem like the Euro car makers have become more interested in quanity than quality.Have experienced constant problems with my last two Mercedes Benz class R and S.Will not buy another Benz .Traded for a SL Lexus drives like a dream and not a problem 15,000 miles in.Best of all the freaking thing parks it self.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:50 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Yes I would recommend a GM vehicle especially the Tahoe & Yukons excellent people and cargo movers.Very comfortable and the quality of American autos have improved a great deal.Better than most European makes yet still lagging behind the Japanese.

Seem like the Euro car makers have become more interested in quanity than quality.Have experienced constant problems with my last two Mercedes Benz class R and S.Will not buy another Benz .Traded for a SL Lexus drives like a dream and not a problem 15,000 miles in.Best of all the freaking thing parks it self.
Hmmm. That's rather contradictory. Continued reliance on inefficient behemoths like the Tahoe/Yukon is precisely what's dumped GM in the mess it's in now. You are one of a diminishing group of people who would buy or recommend one today.

More amusing is your assertion that US quality is improving, just before decrying the quality of your R-class (built near Tuscaloosa, Alabama). The R class has fallen hugely short of M-B's sales targets, largely because it targets a strange demographic - it doesn't perform particularly well as a sports cruiser, as a minivan, or as an SUV, but it has a three-pointed star on the front and M-B were hoping that would be enough to sell it to people for whom that was important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.