Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would you buy GM, Ford, Chrysler?

Originally Posted by MarkG
Oh, and our Buick costs about $1,000 a year in maintenance, so it's not much of a surprise that we're looking at buying our next car from Japan instead.

The Honda costs about $2,400 a year in routine maintenance. I don't find that outrageous but it makes your Buick look a bargain.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Their share values are virtually worthless and what, pray tell, are creditors going to do with the fixed assets which are useless to anyone outside the auto manufacturing industry.
Sell them.

Write off the debts and bring their crazy wage and benefits packages down to a similar level to Toyota and other manufacturers, and all three companies could be viable again, or large parts could be split off as independent companies. If they can't do that, then bailouts are just throwing good money after bad.

BTW, GM claim that wages and benefits for their Canadian workers add up to $77 an hour. That's far from what I'd call 'a decent living wage'; I should obviously have skipped university and got myself a job bolting tail-lights onto Buicks:

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/04/18/gm-caw.html
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Honda costs about $2,400 a year in routine maintenance.
What are you spending it on? Was that a Friday afternoon car?

The Buick wouldn't be so bad if it was different things breaking all the time, but, for example, it's now onto the third water pump in two years. At least it's apparently not one of the ones where the intake gasket blows and destroys the engine.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you spending it on? Was that a Friday afternoon car?

The Buick wouldn't be so bad if it was different things breaking all the time, but, for example, it's now onto the third water pump in two years. At least it's apparently not one of the ones where the intake gasket blows and destroys the engine.
Just servicing and trying to solve the problem of the fuel line coming detached. We get it serviced at the Honda dealer, being used to Fords the first time I took it in I was shocked at the bill. Now that we also have a VW, I've got used to import dealership prices, it also costs more than two grand a year in servicing though, admittedly, it gets driven a lot and uses expensive synthetic oil.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:51 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
The VW Jetta is put together in Mexico and are a pile of junk.
Probably are - but the proper euro VW's are also known to have dodgy electrics - I had a Passat where the electrics were loopy on it!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So, to summarize, the reason the Big Three are in the shit is because they have been convinced to pay a decent living wage (and some benefits) to their workforce. Shame on them!

No, the reason (and you allude to it) is because they have been in denial about what sort of vehicle makes any sort of sense in the context of the public's admittedly limited perception of responsible environmental behaviour and an unholy alliance between Big Oil, the Repugs and themselves.

To return to the workers: you are perhaps right that a vicious capitalist thug is waiting in the wings to pick the bones of Detroit. I'm sorry that you aren't enough of a bastard to play the role. Yet.
Novo, you misconstrue my comments, I suspect deliberately. The (formerly Big) Three are bankrupting themselves to service their pension funds. I cannot see how it is in anyone's interest - least of all the workers and pensioners - for their pension fund to implode.

If the management and unions had seen this coming - which they would have been able to if they (on both sides) hadn't been so singlemindedly trying to put one over on the other side whatever the long-term consequences - then working practices could have been updated, more equitable agreement could have been reached that kept financial commitments within the realms of a manufacturing company's ability to support, and they could all have built vehicles that suited the demands of a changing market.

Chrysler had a shot at redemption with a rescue (nobody except the US press bought Chrysler's line that it was some sort of partnership or merger) by Daimler-Benz. I suppose there were mitigating circumstances in there somewhere, but to an external observer it looks an awful lot like D-B gave Chrysler up as a dead loss.

If Ford and GM do go under, it will be catastrophic for US (and southern Ontario) manufacturing, well beyond the boundaries of the auto manufacturers. It is a very unedifying sight to have auto execs and union leaders effectively panhandling for government bail-outs, though as dbd said, they're probably more deserving candidates than the bankers. The problem, however, is that an injection of public money won't address the root problem: US manufacturers cannot turn a profit regardless of how much markup they put on their vehicles, because every penny they make and more besides is swallowed by the gaping maw of the pension and healthcare funds.

Blame for all that? I'd call it as a 3-way tie between management, unions and government/big oil (I can't separate those last two as the former is effectively the executive arm of the latter).

Oh, and your parting "yet"? I'm not so far away from your political standpoint as you make out. I'm never likely to be in a position to be that much of a bastard because, well, I'm not enough of a bastard to make the money in the first place
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
The rumour on the street is that GM is about to declare bankruptcy and/or go into Chapter 13 and it's highly probable the other two are close behind.
Companies go into Chapter 11 for reorganization, and Chapter 7 for Liquidation.

Individuals go into Chapter 13 for reorganization.

Individuals can also file Chapter 7.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sell them.

Write off the debts and bring their crazy wage and benefits packages down to a similar level to Toyota and other manufacturers, and all three companies could be viable again, or large parts could be split off as independent companies. If they can't do that, then bailouts are just throwing good money after bad.

BTW, GM claim that wages and benefits for their Canadian workers add up to $77 an hour. That's far from what I'd call 'a decent living wage'; I should obviously have skipped university and got myself a job bolting tail-lights onto Buicks:

North American Workforce

Source: GM & Toyota, Dec. 2005

GM:
White collar: 36,000
Production: 106,000.
Retirees: 460,000
Toyota:
White collar: 17,000 Production: 21,000 Retirees: 1,600

Average Hourly Salary for Non-Skilled, Assembly Line Worker

Source: Center for Automotive Research

GM:
$31.35/hour
NOTE: Includes idle workers still on payroll and those on protected status.
Toyota:
$27/hour
NOTE: Includes year-end bonus.

Health Care Costs per Vehicle in 2004

Source: 2005 Harbour Report & A.T. Kearny Inc.

GM:
$1,525
Toyota:
$201

Average Labor Cost per U.S. Hourly Worker

Source: GM & Toyota

GM:
$73.73
Toyota:
$48
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Novo, you misconstrue my comments, I suspect deliberately. The (formerly Big) Three are bankrupting themselves to service their pension funds. I cannot see how it is in anyone's interest - least of all the workers and pensioners - for their pension fund to implode.
As someone whose retirement plans are, in part, funded by a Ford Pension I couldn't agree more!

You have the right of it and Novo is just generally being Novo. The big three bought Industrial Relations peace through good salaries and benefits. The unions are complicit in this as they looked to their members and retirees at the expense of all else. Fundamentally though, they are building the wrong products, badly and inefficiently at the wrong time.

Imagine if a forward thinking company had tried to bring a mid size diesel powered pick up into North America to ween the masses off their F150/GM Sierra/Dodge Rams? You know, something European/Asian like the Ford Ranger, Mitsibushi L200, Toyota Hilux etc. Sure, market penetration would have been a bitch at first but as gas prices went up the argument would have become compelling for many.

I don't believe the big three will all fail. The US economy couldn't stand it. I do believe that the prospect of an 'American Leyland' of some sort is very real. Who would play the part of Red Ken I wonder.

Finally, my hire car de jour is a Buick Lucerne. On the basis of a days driving experience of that alone GM deserves to fail!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:55 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way the big three would go under without some sort of support infrastructure left in place, the vehicles are much improved in terms of performance and quality, and there would be some outstanding deals available, so Yes, I would have no worries about buying, if the price was right.

Personally I cant see the government letting them go under, Whats left of the USs manufacturing / blue collar jobs are are intrinsically tied to automotive, after bailing out wall-street it would be utterly bizarre for the automakers to go to the wall. There may be some changes, but they will be around for a while yet.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
As someone whose retirement plans are, in part, funded by a Ford Pension I couldn't agree more!

You have the right of it and Novo is just generally being Novo. The big three bought Industrial Relations peace through good salaries and benefits. The unions are complicit in this as they looked to their members and retirees at the expense of all else. Fundamentally though, they are building the wrong products, badly and inefficiently at the wrong time.

Imagine if a forward thinking company had tried to bring a mid size diesel powered pick up into North America to ween the masses off their F150/GM Sierra/Dodge Rams? You know, something European/Asian like the Ford Ranger, Mitsibushi L200, Toyota Hilux etc. Sure, market penetration would have been a bitch at first but as gas prices went up the argument would have become compelling for many.

I don't believe the big three will all fail. The US economy couldn't stand it. I do believe that the prospect of an 'American Leyland' of some sort is very real. Who would play the part of Red Ken I wonder.

Finally, my hire car de jour is a Buick Lucerne. On the basis of a days driving experience of that alone GM deserves to fail!
Who the hell else do you want me to be?

Actually, there's nothing to disagree with in your post, nor in Oak's really. It's just that the Big 3 (management, not union) are reaping the consequences of their awful forward planning decisions in terms of the types of vehicle they produce in NA.

I find it irksome, that in this "Capitalism has no clothes" moment, people should point fingers at the union.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:06 am
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

Guys dare I but in.. What car should I be buying then? OH has his heart set on Dogde or Chrysler. I should be looking at the foreign cars isn't Toyota in trouble also?

Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:10 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm looking at a 2008 Chevy Tahoe later today. It's lost about $20k already and if I can get it for a decent price, why not?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:16 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

They are not paying the workers $77 an hour, thats the burdened hourly rate that covers all the overhead costs and salaried staff costs, as well as benefits, CPP, EI etc etc.

We pay workers about $15 an hour, and our burdened rate is still around $60. The problem is the fewer cars you sell, the less hours you work and the higher that burdened rate becomes as the overhead remains constant to some extent. I expect that workers are getting about $20-25 an hour. In some of the ford plants I visited in the US, the long term production workers were making about the same money as the engineers!

The advantage the canadian plants have is the heathcare is largely government covered, so it costs the company less. They have to shut canadian plants for political reasons, but more often then not they work hard to reopen them on the quiet once the storm has blown through as the productivity and quality is better in the canadian plants, and the overall costs lower as healthcare is less of an expense.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 18th 2008 at 2:19 am.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:34 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
They are not paying the workers $77 an hour, thats the burdened hourly rate that covers all the overhead costs and salaried staff costs, as well as benefits, CPP, EI etc etc.

We pay workers about $15 an hour, and our burdened rate is still around $60. The problem is the fewer cars you sell, the less hours you work and the higher that burdened rate becomes as the overhead remains constant to some extent. I expect that workers are getting about $20-25 an hour. In some of the ford plants I visited in the US, the long term production workers were making about the same money as the engineers!

The advantage the canadian plants have is the heathcare is largely government covered, so it costs the company less. They have to shut canadian plants for political reasons, but more often then not they work hard to reopen them on the quiet once the storm has blown through as the productivity and quality is better in the canadian plants, and the overall costs lower as healthcare is less of an expense.
Well said and I agree. They especially like the health care aspect. I am told that are people down here who actually work just for health coverage. No pay just the coverage. As a matter of interest, the couple next door to me are in their forties, self employed and two teenage kids. I was gob smacked, staggered when she told me that they pay $2,454 PER MONTH for health insurance. Unbelievable. Be thankful for the Canadian Medical System, even though it is far from perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.