World Cup

Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I was invited explain the penalty shoot-out and sudden-death phases of the knock-out matches the other day.

Easiest way to do this, I thought, was to open up youtube and search for "penalty shootout" (which I did and promptly clicked on the first link). My mistake, while trying to keep a brave face and explain the rules I had to sit there and watch England lose to Portugal again

Statistically speaking, it's should be our turn to win on penalties. I hear Defoe & company have been practising penalty kicks.

I'm hoping they've also been practising that other thing they have to do well too, er, what's it called, oh, that's it... "passing".
Does David James have a good record at saving penalties? He's tall and a good shot stopper I'd say so in theory he should be decent? I read he's the oldest debutant at a world cup finals and 7th oldest ever!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:09 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Alan2005 Uruguay 1 KoreaRepublic 0
Alan2005 USA 5 Ghana 3 PENS
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

JamesM Uruguay 2 KoreaRepublic 1
JamesM USA 0 Ghana 1
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Alan2005 Uruguay 1 KoreaRepublic 0
Alan2005 USA 5 Ghana 3 PENS
How is it possible for a team to win by more than one goal on penalties? For example, if the USA and Ghana are tied at 3 after extra time and the US wins the penalty kicks, shouldn't the USA get credited with a 4-3 win regardless of what the difference in the number of successful kicks is?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:44 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
How is it possible for a team to win by more than one goal on penalties? For example, if the USA and Ghana are tied at 3 after extra time and the US wins the penalty kicks, shouldn't the USA get credited with a 4-3 win regardless of what the difference in the number of successful kicks is?
They each get 5 penalty kicks, but if one gets an extra kick I'm not sure if that is counted.

e.g.
USA 3 - Ghana 3
USA scores
USA 4 - Ghana 3
Ghana misses
USA 4 - Ghana 3
USA scores
USA 5 - Ghana 3

Game over - Ghana's 5th kick isn't taken as it can't affect the result.

Would that be 5-3 or 4-3 to the US?

Last edited by Alan2005; Jun 25th 2010 at 11:48 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

They each get 5 penalty kicks, but if one gets an extra kick I'm not sure if that is counted.

e.g.
USA 3 - Ghana 3
USA scores
USA 4 - Ghana 3
Ghana misses
USA 4 - Ghana 3
USA scores
USA 5 - Ghana 3

Game over - Ghana's 5th kick isn't taken as it can't affect the result.

Would that be 5-3 or 4-3 to the US?
yeah I get how they could be ahead by more than 1 during the penalty kick phase, but as far as an official score goes, wouldn't the winner of the penalty kicks just be credited with one goal?

USA 4 Ghana 3 (5-3 PENS), or am I missing something?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
yeah I get how they could be ahead by more than 1 during the penalty kick phase, but as far as an official score goes, wouldn't the winner of the penalty kicks just be credited with one goal?

USA 4 Ghana 3 (5-3 PENS), or am I missing something?
Ok, got you. The penalty score is what it is - it doesn't count as a goal that's added (I don't think). I'm assuming that Greenhill means the penalty score in his rules.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lost
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, got you. The penalty score is what it is - it doesn't count as a goal that's added (I don't think). I'm assuming that Greenhill means the penalty score in his rules.
This is what I didn't understand.

Because you have put a penalty score down this means you have forecasted a drawer. But what points will you get because the game could finish 0-0, 1-1, 2-2 etc......so I am guessing you get 1 point whatever way it finishes.

You then only press on and get big points if the penalty score is accuarate but you get extra points if you predict the penalty winner?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM
This is what I didn't understand.

Because you have put a penalty score down this means you have forecasted a drawer. But what points will you get because the game could finish 0-0, 1-1, 2-2 etc......so I am guessing you get 1 point whatever way it finishes.

You then only press on and get big points if the penalty score is accuarate but you get extra points if you predict the penalty winner?
I think if you predict penalties you lose the chance at getting the three points for the correct score, instead you get either 2 or 5 points.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

PartiallyDischarged Uruguay 1 KoreaRepublic 0
PartiallyDischarged USA 2 Ghana 1

If only England had scored one more goal, their future opponents would have been a lot easier.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:57 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I'm lost
Me too - I'll get our coats!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Me too - I'll get our coats!
Bloody hell, this isn't rocket science people Either way, just make your predictions and let Greenhills spreadsheet do the actual adding up.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:23 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, this isn't rocket science people Either way, just make your predictions and let Greenhills spreadsheet do the actual adding up.
Dont you start mr!!!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

har

Kiwilass Uruguay 2 KoreaRepublic 2
Kiwilass USA 1 Ghana 0

PENS 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.