Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

working from home, ideas and suggestions welcomed

working from home, ideas and suggestions welcomed

Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working from home, ideas and suggestions welcomed

Originally Posted by Yoong
Be brave give it a go, we just loved Jack Webster ,politicians(local and international )and union leaders were grilled by him mercilessly.
Thought I spotted Jack Webster in you .Think about it, test the water ,
if not accepted by your local community, you can write on BC newspapers.
People in the media still talk about Jack.
Yoong
Another good idea although in truth it is unlikely you will see montreal mike writing for any BC paper soon. But one never knows.

I would have to pick a 'nom de plume'.

I will go through this entire thread again as there is a wealth of material to look at. And since this thread is winding down let me thank, once again, all who have posted.

Meanwhile we never did hear back fron NSPaul?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
Thanks Yoong. What are the best Financial websites for Canadian Stocks ?

http://www.stockhouse.ca/ (Type $trsts on the BullBoards Search to
get onto the trust forums)

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/ (Click on discussions above for the forums)

http://www.tsx.com/ ( you can own a small part of the TSX by buying their stocks ,generous dividends and might merge with Montreal stock exchange.
One year they gave us $5.00 per share special dividend .Stock symbol is X

http://www.investcom.com/

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...ost/index.html

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/

Good luck Southcote.
Yoong
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
He's away and will be back next week sometime.

Rob.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
He's away and will be back next week sometime.

Rob.
thanks for the update
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

Hi, Mike!

The eBay suggestions that others have made are good! My sister sold jewelry on eBay in the UK and made really good money! It's something easy to do and does not require you to invest a great deal of money to start it off! Being in Canada I think one of the best things you could sell on eBay (if you decide to do it!) would be to sell Hockey cards and Hockey memorabilia! My boyfriend sold hockey cards this year and made an impressive amount of money! I think becoming a seller on eBay has so much potential for anyone who takes on the challenge!

Good luck!!

Where in Montreal are you? I'm in Montreal too!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giggles2080
Hi, Mike!

The eBay suggestions that others have made are good! My sister sold jewelry on eBay in the UK and made really good money! It's something easy to do and does not require you to invest a great deal of money to start it off! Being in Canada I think one of the best things you could sell on eBay (if you decide to do it!) would be to sell Hockey cards and Hockey memorabilia! My boyfriend sold hockey cards this year and made an impressive amount of money! I think becoming a seller on eBay has so much potential for anyone who takes on the challenge!

Good luck!!

Where in Montreal are you? I'm in Montreal too!
Thanks for the idea. I have heard of ebay, who hasn't?, but I will keep it in mind.

I see you are brand new to this place. It is an interesting forum. That I guarantee you. Myself, I live in mount royal and have done so for the last 35 years.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

I already enjoy this forum better than the canadian one!! My boyfriend and I live in Chateauguay, but we are looking to buy a house in the West Island next year...closer to work and all that!!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I already enjoy this forum better than the canadian one!! My boyfriend and I live in Chateauguay, but we are looking to buy a house in the West Island next year...closer to work and all that!!
Chateauguay is a a great spot, close and affordable. It's that Mercier bridge I don't like.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't find the Mercier bridge to be that bad! I find that there is worse traffic coming from and going to the West Island and the East End!! hahaha The traffic is bad all over!! I like Chateauguay, I feel like we are "away" from the city there, which is nice!!

What brought you to Montreal?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

What brought you to Montreal?
It was 45 years ago this summer. I had finished those A levels and had been accepted into an English university, I forget which one.

My late dad, stepmum and my younger sister were coming over and chose Montreal because we were all fluent in French. They left months before me. I was undecided but really had little to keep me in the UK.

Plus, I had not lived in the UK all that many years, having spent a total of 8 years on the Indian Subcontinent, France and Switzerland. And I hated British weather.

I had little attachment to Engand It was in many ways a strange country to me even though I was born there.

Since I came over here I have never regreted a moment.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Montreal is great, though! I don't blame you for having no regrets!! I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the UK just because I love it here so much!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Montreal is great, though! I don't blame you for having no regrets!! I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the UK just because I love it here so much!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes but there is a downside. I lived through Montreal in its glory days. Times when it was the financial centre of Canada. That honour now goes to Toronto.

Times when it hosted Expo 67 followed by the 1976 Olympics.

Times when the city invested in a world class subway and highways.

Nowadays there are potholes all over the place like some 3rd world country. The water pipes are leaking. The city is no longer clean with graffiti in many places.

It is still safe though.

Bottom line is it is a great place. But it could be a hell of a lot better.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:16 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Another good idea although in truth it is unlikely you will see montreal mike writing for any BC paper soon. But one never knows.

I would have to pick a 'nom de plume'.

I will go through this entire thread again as there is a wealth of material to look at. And since this thread is winding down let me thank, once again, all who have posted.

yes, sorry, as Rob4BC said I was away sunning myself on Nova Scotia's beautiful South Shore for a week. Oh how wonderful it is to be back at work (NOT!).

Anyway, re: translation, there seems to be a fair bit of work around for translaters, especially since most government websites and printed materials legally have to be published in both languages. I would imaging most large advertising or web design agency would have a pool of people they use so would be worth approaching. The company I work for (fairly small) has a couple of people lined up for this type of work although it isn't something I deal with personally. I would think the best approach would be to put together a Resume detailing at least some translation experience (I would imaging it would be hard to get work without any experienc at all). Would be happy to put anyone forward to the appropriate people if you want to PM me.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NSpaul
yes, sorry, as Rob4BC said I was away sunning myself on Nova Scotia's beautiful South Shore for a week. Oh how wonderful it is to be back at work (NOT!).

Anyway, re: translation, there seems to be a fair bit of work around for translaters, especially since most government websites and printed materials legally have to be published in both languages. I would imaging most large advertising or web design agency would have a pool of people they use so would be worth approaching. The company I work for (fairly small) has a couple of people lined up for this type of work although it isn't something I deal with personally. I would think the best approach would be to put together a Resume detailing at least some translation experience (I would imaging it would be hard to get work without any experienc at all). Would be happy to put anyone forward to the appropriate people if you want to PM me.
Thanks although I haven't got specific translation exprerience although I can do it with ease but only from French to English and not vice versa.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Riadh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I am just curious about your situation now regarding Working from home, have you succeeded in any kind of Jobs - any updates in this regards,

Have you heard from Judy -

would you please provide me with any updates - I am looking in same matter and was hoping to see you succeed