Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)

Wikiposts

A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)

Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)

Hmm this got me thinking, if you take your dog out for a walk, i have a retreiver by the way will his paws get frostbite is it normal for a dog with lots of fur to wear a doggy coat?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

This is a neat site too. Just find your school name and set that on your favourites and you're good to go !

Although most schools have a -20 cut off point for recess, I would agree with others that it hugely depends on the windchill. I think -15 and windy would be my limit with young kids (depends whether they are whingers or not, or in one of those horrible "I'm too tired" moods ). But -15 and sunny is actually pretty fine !
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have to agree with everyone here, minus 20 is believe it or not a walk in the park. So kids will be fine (wrapped up).

I used to walk to work (about 1/2 hour) last winter and only on the days where it was -30 or colder would I get a cab.

Its the toes, fingers and face that feel it the most as they don't have the 24 layers of clothes on that the body does, make sure those bits are protected and they won't even think about what temp it is
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie_p
Hmm this got me thinking, if you take your dog out for a walk, i have a retreiver by the way will his paws get frostbite is it normal for a dog with lots of fur to wear a doggy coat?
I laugh at dogs in coats. Well, up until last year, I did!

We got a puppy in the new year - and apart from that being a really stupid idea with regards to toilet training and temperatures of -15 - when he did finally start going outside, he was a shivering wreck in minutes.

Now that he is fully grown and got a proper fur coat of his own, I still think we'll try the booties 'cos he's pretty small - and he had clumps of snow stuck to his legs like golf-balls - he could barely walk. And even fully grown, his tummy will still be scraping the snow if it's a few inches deep! And I bet we go and buy some silly coat too. But hey - we dress in a gazillion layers - he should have at least one more, right?!

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Attached Thumbnails A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)-snow-boots.jpg   A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)-mar-08-6.jpg  
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is not frostbite so much as bobbling, eventually the dog is unable to move. Applying Cowboy Magic to the feet helps.

Dog coats are not common due to being ridiculous.
Attached Thumbnails A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)-112_1276.jpg  
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yes I have to agree with everyone here, minus 20 is believe it or not a walk in the park. So kids will be fine (wrapped up).

I used to walk to work (about 1/2 hour) last winter and only on the days where it was -30 or colder would I get a cab.

Its the toes, fingers and face that feel it the most as they don't have the 24 layers of clothes on that the body does, make sure those bits are protected and they won't even think about what temp it is
Yep,

The more I read from you guys, the more I'm convinced -20 (taking account of wind chill) will be our cut off.

Thanks

MrsDV
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
This is a neat site too. Just find your school name and set that on your favourites and you're good to go !

Although most schools have a -20 cut off point for recess, I would agree with others that it hugely depends on the windchill. I think -15 and windy would be my limit with young kids (depends whether they are whingers or not, or in one of those horrible "I'm too tired" moods ). But -15 and sunny is actually pretty fine !
That's a really handy site.

Thanks

MrsDV
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gryphea
PS

I know they may not be as cool BUT I would always advise mittens rather than gloves.

All the fingers keep each other warm that way and you can fit liner gloves on under if necessary
I agree, mittens not cool - but cozy is better . It will be mittens for us.

Thanks

MrsDV
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
The problem is not frostbite so much as bobbling, eventually the dog is unable to move. Applying Cowboy Magic to the feet helps.

Dog coats are not common due to being ridiculous.
Hmm i know i am not a dog coat person either, great pic is that your dog?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm i know i am not a dog coat person either, great pic is that your dog?
Yes, it's a bit of an old picture but it illustrates the problem well I think.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
Applying Cowboy Magic to the feet helps.
I had to google that just to make sure you didn't make it up ! So that works then?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We live around 400 yards from the school and always walk no matter what the temp.

Even those few days last year when it was -46 (with wind chill) We wrapped up well and had scarves around the face. Other mum's thought I was mad, but by the time we got the car out then found somewhere to park, it seemed hardly worth it. Besides mine like to sledge to school, much more fun!
The school will stop the buses running below a certain temp, as they don't want the kids hanging around too long. Our school remains open though.

PS.....weather forecast says.....snow for Calgary by Friday!!!!!
(sorry Steve....lol !!!!!)

Linda

Last edited by Linda P; Oct 6th 2008 at 3:07 am. Reason: spelling!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ann m
I had to google that just to make sure you didn't make it up ! So that works then?
It does work but I use it because we always have it around (long haired child+convertible car=detangling products on hand) the only other product I've tried is, er, Astroglide, which also works but doesn't last as long. I've heard that Vaseline, petroleum jelly and PAM (the cooking spray) are viable options.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, -20. At the school, they don't have outdoor recess below -15 or something like that.

You'll know its around -18 when it feels like nose hairs are freezing together.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I seem to remember somebody describing the time it took getting all their kids dressed up to go out, then the frustration of somebody needing to pee!
I have encountered this several times with 4 children to get ready and it never fails to make me go :curse:

For the last 2 winters I walked the children to school no matter what temperature - it was about a 5-10 minute walk. We have moved now, and they get the school bus. Think I will prob pay a bit more attention to the temperatures this year as I don't want them standing around in the cold waiting for it to turn up - it isn't so bad if you are moving, but you feel a lot colder standing still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.