Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)

Wikiposts

A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)

Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)

Ok, I'm looking forward to winter (sorry!) but, having not yet experienced a Canadian winter, I have a practical question:

I walk my kids to school in the morning (10-15 min walk) and want to continue doing this as much as possible. We have got all our winter gear ready - snow pants and jackets, good gloves, hats, boots etc. My question is, when properly wrapped up, when is it too cold to walk for 10 to 15 mins? - my kids are 6 and 8 (and really looking forward to winter!).

We have a couple of thermometers at the door so we can check before we leave in the morning, I guess I want to know at what temperature does it get really uncomfortable and at what temperature is it just stupid to be out there with kids for that length of time?!

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

MrsDV
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:34 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Winter Question (sorry Steve_P)

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Ok, I'm looking forward to winter (sorry!) but, having not yet experienced a Canadian winter, I have a practical question:

I walk my kids to school in the morning (10-15 min walk) and want to continue doing this as much as possible. We have got all our winter gear ready - snow pants and jackets, good gloves, hats, boots etc. My question is, when properly wrapped up, when is it too cold to walk for 10 to 15 mins? - my kids are 6 and 8 (and really looking forward to winter!).

We have a couple of thermometers at the door so we can check before we leave in the morning, I guess I want to know at what temperature does it get really uncomfortable and at what temperature is it just stupid to be out there with kids for that length of time?!

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

MrsDV

Depends on windchill

For me -30
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Depends on windchill

For me -30
Butch Cassidy,

You're tougher than I thought! -30?! I was thinking maybe -20 would be the limit- Not that I've experienced that or know how much different -30 feels compared to -20! It's all just numbers to me at this stage.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

OK

Your ages

I would say down to around -20 which is when they stopped playing out.

-22 may be OK but much colder and they could be a bit misereble.

In reality for my two this amounted to about 4days last winter.

Gryph

PS I have read that at -27 or colder an average healthy canadian adult gets frostbite within 5-10mins. There you go.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:55 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
OK

Your ages

I would say down to around -20 which is when they stopped playing out.

-22 may be OK but much colder and they could be a bit misereble.

In reality for my two this amounted to about 4days last winter.

Gryph

PS I have read that at -27 or colder an average healthy canadian adult gets frostbite within 5-10mins. There you go.
Frostbite doesnt (usually) happen if the skin isnt exposed
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Frostbite doesnt (usually) happen if the skin isnt exposed
Oh yes I meant to add that!!! But she didn't mention face masks!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gryphea
Oh yes I meant to add that!!! But she didn't mention face masks!
Exactly

Mrs DV, make sure the faces are covered
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, I'm thinking if face masks are required in order to avoid frostbite we'll maybe take the car!

-20 sounds reasonable, I'll go with that as a guide for now.

Brrrr, getting cold just thinking about it! Still excited though

Thanks guys.

MrsDV
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Our kid's school let them out at playtime down to -20.

As Butch said you have to take the windchill into consideration as well, especially if you're walking against the wind. Sometimes, if its really sunny, then -20 doesn't feel that cold.

Put extra sweaters/socks under their snowsuits and they'll probably be alright. Wooly gloves under their mittens also.

Some mornings it's so cold they need all that on just to go out to the car!!

I remember when i first came here phoning the school secretary and asking "Do they really need snowsuits for school"? How naive was I? That's when she told me they play out in -20 I bet she had a good old chuckle when she got off the phone.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I remember when i first came here phoning the school secretary and asking "Do they really need snowsuits for school"? How naive was I? That's when she told me they play out in -20 I bet she had a good old chuckle when she got off the phone.[/QUOTE]

That's funny - you don't know until you ask though!

Must take them forever getting kids ready to go out to play and back in afterwards - kids will love that, less time for work
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Check the weather sites for windchill/feels like temperatures.

I cycle and I find more than 15 minutes is uncomfortable when it's minus 20. But then there's additional windchill riding a bike and the muscles don't work so well. If you wear specs, as I do, it's not easy to wear a mask and ride safely so the face is not covered as much as if one was walking and that's a problem.

Dressed up in those nice warm 3-in1 jackets or heavy coat and a hat with ear covers, you'll be surprised how much you can take if you are moving.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:37 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember somebody describing the time it took getting all their kids dressed up to go out, then the frustration of somebody needing to pee!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I seem to remember somebody describing the time it took getting all their kids dressed up to go out, then the frustration of somebody needing to pee!

Reminds me of Rowan Atkinson's 'punk' with all the zippers everywhere and he can't find where to pee from.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Ah, that's a common one. I remember when we were little it was ALWAYS my little brother, and ALWAYS after my mother had asked him about 6 times "do you have to go?" as she was dressing him.

It used to be worse (according to my mother) with the snowsuits they had when she was a child...none of these fancy two piece suits with zips and snaps - in her day it was all 1 piece with a dozen buckles...try undoing those fast with cold, numb hands when a kid has to go! lol For an example, watch the movie "A Christmas Story" with Ralphie and the Red Rider BB gun (a firm family favourite)
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

PS

I know they may not be as cool BUT I would always advise mittens rather than gloves.

All the fingers keep each other warm that way and you can fit liner gloves on under if necessary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.