Winter clothing

Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:22 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Winter clothing

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a pair of lined farmer pants, Carhartt's I think, but they're too hot for all but the very worst days.
That is a problem with some of these clothes. I had a down jacket. It was great but I had to take it off immediately if I went into a shop or I'd start to feel faint.

My bro suffered when we went to Quebec City in Feb. He wore long johns plus my Columbia ski pants. Talk about over-heated.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:04 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

winners good for discounted stuff, especially for the kids. bought my girls snow boots for next year, the ones with the polar bear on, apparently a good make though can't remember name. $30 to -45.
compare the north face website in uk and ca for the fancy stuff, i got a christmas treat with a nice mountain type jacket and saved quite a bit over buying in the uk.
columbia discounted just about everywhere now, most winter jackets at sportsmart for less than $100 for example, same in sports check. pants seem to be still quite dear though for some reason at about $75.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
the ones with the polar bear on, apparently a good make though can't remember name. $30 to -45.
Sorel?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be careful what people are comparing

In the UK you would expect your winter jacket to be waterproof for the winter, You don’t need that here and its that type of jacket that’s expensive ,
So if it’s the Goretex type stuff then you’ll often find it cheaper in Europe, but an equivalent type of fleece jacket combination but not waterproof will be cheaper in Canada
As for quality, on both sides you pay for what you get, that’s just one of the reasons why Wal-Marts so cheap, and products from North Face/Canada Goose are called expensive.

My basic rule of Thumb, if its waterproofs buy in Europe, if its for warmth buy here, if you want it to last don’t buy it from Wal-Mart
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeUK
if you want it to last don’t buy it from Wal-Mart
That could apply to any of the clothing sold at SprawlMart.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:41 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
That could apply to any of the clothing sold at SprawlMart.
In my world it applies to anything sold at Small-Fart
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:40 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with the people on here that say bring it all from the UK I have a Helly Hansen down filled puffa and have lived and died in it this winter.

Coupled with a pair of snow pants and Timberlands with lots of layers underneath you are good to go.

My layers have been bought from either Marks WW or Walmart and have been fine.

My best buy ever was a fluffy headband thats huge and goes around your ears $7 from Marks WW and worth every single cent!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
I remember going in to an outdoor clothing shop in Toronto and being shocked how expensive the cold gear was. Can anyone advise?
Your mistake seems to have been to go to a specialized store. For everyday wear you dont need mountain grade equipment , you just need everyday canadian winter stuff from the usual cheapo canadian stores.

Sure, if you are going to climb Mt Logan, then you will want to push the boat out, but for filling your car with gas in February...not so much.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 14th 2008 at 8:09 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK
In my world it applies to anything sold at Small-Fart
Why? Much of the stuff sold in WM is the same you'd get in other stores. A can of Heinz beans bought in WM is no different to the same can bought in Loblaws or the corner store, except it's cheaper. WM makes its money on rapid stock turnover. It will flog a shipment of stuff, and be earning interest on the cash received, long before it has to pay its supplier. Because of that it can work with razor-thin mark-ups.

I used to have dealings with a guy who ran a slipper manufacturing company. His products were sold by all the chains, including WM. He told me that he would sell a pair to WM for $15 and they'd be retailed at $17.

I'm no apologist for WM, don't get me wrong, but it has a business model that works for it and also for a rather large number of cost-conscious consumers. It's not going to go away.

It does admittedly sell some real crap. Not my felt-lined snow boots though. They cost me $50 and have lasted well for four winters now.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
My best buy ever was a fluffy headband thats huge and goes around your ears $7 from Marks WW and worth every single cent!
MWW does fluffy?

I can just see Mike Holmes wearing one of those. Mind you, he does have an earring. Perhaps he's a friend of Colin and Justin?

Last edited by Souvenir; Apr 14th 2008 at 8:19 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
MWW does fluffy?

I can just see Mike Holmes wearing one of those. Mind you, he does have n earring. Perhaps he's a friend of Colin and Justin?
Or those two Canadian guys on CBC that seem to be everywhere?.

IMHO a little bit of Colin and Justin (especially Justin) goes an awfully long way.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

IMHO a little bit of Colin and Justin (especially Justin) goes an awfully long way.
Mars wouldn't be far enough

Tom
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvenir
MWW does fluffy?
Dunno about where you are, but MWW here has half a store of girly stuff...
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:21 pm

Or those two Canadian guys on CBC that seem to be everywhere?.

The Designer Guys are crap compared with C&J, who are much more entertaining. And very, very tall from what I can make out.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Dunno about where you are, but MWW here has half a store of girly stuff...
I dunno where my nearest MWW is. Last time I went into one was about six years ago in Mississauga.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.