Winter clothing

Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice
Default Winter clothing

Just wondered if it would be worthwhile taking advantage of winter clothing sales over here before moving out to whatever part of Canada we will end up in. Apart from BC, I guess that most has freezing winters and I was wondering how prices of winter clothing compared between UK and Canada. I remember going in to an outdoor clothing shop in Toronto and being shocked how expensive the cold gear was. Can anyone advise?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Winter clothing

If you have room I would say YES, bring as much as you can. Quality not good here and expensive, especially adult gear. I also think quality is better. My mum brings out sport gear for the boys and coats if she can get them in.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
Just wondered if it would be worthwhile taking advantage of winter clothing sales over here before moving out to whatever part of Canada we will end up in. Apart from BC, I guess that most has freezing winters and I was wondering how prices of winter clothing compared between UK and Canada. I remember going in to an outdoor clothing shop in Toronto and being shocked how expensive the cold gear was. Can anyone advise?
Don't assume BC doesn't get cold weather, it's only the coast and Vancouver Island that has mild/damp winters. Minus 20's not unusual in the southern interior.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:25 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
It's quite poor quality here, never seems to fit properly, and is expensive for what it is. It all disappears from the stores as soon as we get to the middle of February.....they replace it with the Spring stuff, so if you want a late winter jacket or whatever, you're pretty well stuffed. The first winter we were here I bought winter boots, supposed to keep your feet warm and dry in temperatures as low as -40.......don't you believe it.....they didn't so I still ended up wearing 2 or 3 pairs of thin socks

Cram as much as you can into your case, you'll be glad you did.
Good luck....
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
It's quite poor quality here, never seems to fit properly, and is expensive for what it is. It all disappears from the stores as soon as we get to the middle of February.....they replace it with the Spring stuff, so if you want a late winter jacket or whatever, you're pretty well stuffed. The first winter we were here I bought winter boots, supposed to keep your feet warm and dry in temperatures as low as -40.......don't you believe it.....they didn't so I still ended up wearing 2 or 3 pairs of thin socks

Cram as much as you can into your case, you'll be glad you did.
Good luck....
Not sure where you shop, but much of my work is outdoors year round and I've found perfectly good clothing to keep warm through the winter in that's been tough enough to handle heavy manual work.

You certainly get what you pay for, but I've a coat that'll easily last another winter season or 2 (so at least 5 in total), and boots that I've worn outdoors all day in minus 25 and not given me chilly feet at all. I don't think I could have purchased anything in the UK that would have been comparable.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I got a jacket for $100 at Mark's Work Wearhouse that's been fine down to -50 windchill/-40-ish actual temperature; boots cost about $70 and have been fine too, though I do have to wear two pairs of socks anyway because they're half a size too big .

I'm not sure how that compares to British equivalents, but it seemed quite cheap to me.

Actually, here's my -45C snow-shovelling outfit, I think that's about $250 worth:

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/uploads/m/MarkG/3260.jpg

Biggest problem is that after shovelling snow for half an hour I'm getting too hot .

Last edited by MarkG; Apr 12th 2008 at 11:41 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:44 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Not sure where you shop, but much of my work is outdoors year round and I've found perfectly good clothing to keep warm through the winter in that's been tough enough to handle heavy manual work.

You certainly get what you pay for, but I've a coat that'll easily last another winter season or 2 (so at least 5 in total), and boots that I've worn outdoors all day in minus 25 and not given me chilly feet at all. I don't think I could have purchased anything in the UK that would have been comparable.
Hi R I C H
Mark's Work Warehouse - cost around $75. It could well be me as I do feel the cold, and always have. I'm wearing two pairs of socks now, and my slippers.....so yes, maybe I'm being unfair as most "normal" people would probably find the boots okay. I tend to forget I have silly feet!
Generally speaking both Mr Oldbag and myself have found clothes to be a poor fit......and we are "normal" people in this respect!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be less concerned at cost than usefulness but I think it's cheaper here anyway.

My first visit to Montreal was the month of December. I brought a fleecy jacket which was more than enough in England but was next to useless in Montreal.

I borrowed a jacket with a heavy(ish) lining which can also be worn on its own, or with the outer part or just wear the outer part for rain. It was unbelievably warm and comfortable when it was minus 40 with the wind chill.

Sears isn't the cheapest store in Canada but these jackets are available there for around $180. I'm not sure such an effective coat is available in the UK for Ā£90 or less.

One of the advantages is it's practical for life in Canada. Maybe an overcoat could be bought cheaper in the UK but try shovelling all that snow with a full length coat on.

The kids have heavily padded jackets and less padded for what we call their 'in between' coats for when it's "only" 10 below. I say kids but one is adult size. The most expensive/really warm ones cost under $70 each. Less warm looking jackets I just looked at on Millets and John Lewis were double that cost.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

lounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to all

Have found gloves, hats and scarfs to be of use from the u.k, but defo not coats. I managed to pick up a long down feathered coat from Simons for under $180 and it was well worth it, standing around waiting for the school bus at -35 last year in a U.K coat and 3 layers was not fun

I brought my snow boats from Globo which has lots of cheaper boats, sports expert is also a good store but can be pricey.

For our sons we have found sears to be good value , managed to get snow pants,jacket and gloves for about $100 which is good value and go to -35 which is a plus with our son as he loves the outdoors regardless of snow storm or not. With children's clothing it is very easy to sell it on as well so don't mind paying those prices.

I would defo invest in a coat when you get here, usually best time to get is oct time and don't waste your money on name brands as they are sometimes 3times as expensive.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:50 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
Quality not good here and expensive, especially adult gear. I also think quality is better.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I live on a ridge, in the fierce winds here it gets really quite chilly. My tractor has no cab so snow clearing entails a couple of hours of being in the full force of the wind. I wear lined wellies (MWW, $60 or so), jeans, snow pants (Ends $15), down coat (Ends $100), gloves (MMW dunno), Yorkshire Ripper mask (REI $15), wooly hat (questionable provenance, suppose $5). The problem is not getting clothes that keep you warm when no one's looking. The problem is how to be warm and half way respectable at the same time.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:48 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I would say buy it in Canada unless you are arriving in the late winter.

Far cheaper in Canada, and what would be considered fancy winter clothing in the UK and carry a fancy price is just run of the mill here and available at Walmart or Marks.

But seasonal stock seems to run out early here, so if you want a decent choice and are arriving in the winter (when many canadian stores will already be stocking for spring), then bring some with you.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Winners is always worth a look. Our local one was recently flogging off Columbia stuff at heavily discounted prices.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:09 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I live on a ridge, in the fierce winds here it gets really quite chilly. My tractor has no cab so snow clearing entails a couple of hours of being in the full force of the wind. I wear lined wellies (MWW, $60 or so), jeans, snow pants (Ends $15), down coat (Ends $100), gloves (MMW dunno), Yorkshire Ripper mask (REI $15), wooly hat (questionable provenance, suppose $5). The problem is not getting clothes that keep you warm when no one's looking. The problem is how to be warm and half way respectable at the same time.
My brother, a dairy farmer, reckons the Dickies brand of gear is great stuff. I think you can get a lined boiler suit for about $100.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
My brother, a dairy farmer, reckons the Dickies brand of gear is great stuff. I think you can get a lined boiler suit for about $100.

I have a pair of lined farmer pants, Carhartt's I think, but they're too hot for all but the very worst days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.