Winter boots

Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:45 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter boots

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
yeah i find you definitely need good ice boots as opposed to good snow boots. I'd prefer to walk in 6 inches of snow than any hint of ice
Quite. When I go to the corner store I deliberately walk on snow (including front yards).
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
yeah i find you definitely need good ice boots as opposed to good snow boots. I'd prefer to walk in 6 inches of snow than any hint of ice
I have a pair of Sorel boots but find they don't get much use because it's a bother to lace them up. The Muck boots are warm and easy to put on/take off and one really isn't going to go anywhere public in either anyway.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a pair of Sorel boots but find they don't get much use because it's a bother to lace them up. The Muck boots are warm and easy to put on/take off and one really isn't going to go anywhere public in either anyway.
I bought a pair about five years ago. They're still in the box.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 4:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Quite. When I go to the corner store I deliberately walk on snow (including front yards).
I tend to do that too, although I am far more likely to walk in the road as the streets are quiet around here. There's one local route where I'll take a five minute detour to walk on the road surface rather than the canal or bobsleigh track that one particular sidewalk generally is.

But even walking in snow comes with risks what with it hiding ice or sometimes uneven ground causing you to go over on your ankle.

Of course most of us know this but it's useful for those looking in
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have slip on ice grippers and cleats that I'd use in winter, best thing for those icy sidewalks. The only downside was that you had to remember to pop them off once you got into the mall or Tim's or where ever because then you'd end up skating along the tile floor.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Son swears by his foad winter boots with retractable spike thingies in the soles... Unfortunately I can't remember the brand name.

My ancient Kamik snowmobile boots are warm (I've replaced the liners several times), keep my feet dry, but are useless on ice.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 2:11 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Son swears by his foad winter boots with retractable spike thingies in the soles... Unfortunately I can't remember the brand name.

My ancient Kamik snowmobile boots are warm (I've replaced the liners several times), keep my feet dry, but are useless on ice.
I took delivery of my WindRiver Snow Leopard 111's yesterday. They look great but unfortunately are a size too small. I'm getting them exchanged tomorrow for a slightly larger size. That's what happens when you buy online.

I'm a size 9. The boots are not, even if they say they are.

The treads look brill and seem to be studded with shards of broken glass.

I probably won't wear them indoors. A pair of insulated cheese-graters!
Old Dec 5th 2016, 1:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I'll finally get to use my snow boots this morning.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:45 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Looks like I'll finally get to use my snow boots this morning.
When I heard the forecast for the coast, I was going to advise you to dig them out but you best me to it- you will need wellies so though in a day or so
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:46 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've ordered some cheaper Marks boots "Canmore" or something similar. Don't need the -40C insulation in this part of the world and they appear to come with similar "tarantula" grips to the ones that did so well in the tests. My problem is having big feet in what appears to be a nation (or province) of hobbits. Nothing in stock that fitted so ordered online. Til they arrive, I'll be wearing my walmart insulated wellies when snowclearing!
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:59 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I've ordered some cheaper Marks boots "Canmore" or something similar. Don't need the -40C insulation in this part of the world and they appear to come with similar "tarantula" grips to the ones that did so well in the tests. My problem is having big feet in what appears to be a nation (or province) of hobbits. Nothing in stock that fitted so ordered online. Til they arrive, I'll be wearing my walmart insulated wellies when snowclearing!
I'll be testing my tarantulas soon. I'm not liking the look of my driveway!
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I had a pair of boots I got from Zellers in 2005 for $35. They had pretty good grip but weren't waterproof. It was only a problem for thaws and unavoidable puddles deeper than an inch.

If it was likely to be like that I used to don a couple of those bags they put the newspapers/flyers in before putting them on.

Eventually they developed cracks in the soles and the action of walking sucked up water and slush and that was horrible.

But they're still okay for non wet conditions, like ice and crunchy snow.

For last winter I bought Mountain Ridge Explorer (which probably sounds better than they are) from Giant Tiger. The same $35.

They're as adequate as the first pair which I'm keeping in the event the new ones get wet and I have to go out before they have dried.

That never became necessary last winter, although we got off light then with half the usual snowfall.

If all else fails, there's another pair of boots that my stepson wears and I can send him out instead.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'll be testing my tarantulas soon. I'm not liking the look of my driveway!
So long as you didn't order these by mistake...

Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:25 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Quite chilly here today...fear not my son went to school in water shoes, a tee shirt and a hoodie Please could someone phone social services and have him taken away from me? Frost bite...is not "cool"!

I can't ever find anything that doesn't slip...if it's warm enough you don't slip...then it goes down to minus 11 - tonight - and it's a hard lump of super slippery rock...you stamp up and down and you still can't get purchase!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by MillieF
Quite chilly here today...fear not my son went to school in water shoes, a tee shirt and a hoodie Please could someone phone social services and have him taken away from me? Frost bite...is not "cool"!
One could make an argument for school uniform and a warm duffle coat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.