Winter boots

Old Nov 28th 2016, 11:07 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter boots

Interesting article in the Ottawa Citizen a few days ago (it's probably also in other Postmedia organs).

Ontario study concludes most winter boots are too slippery | Ottawa Citizen

The list it includes is useful. Pay attention to the code numbers, if you go shopping online.

My current boots are crap. They are Teflon-coated, it seems.

I've ordered a pair of the more highly-rated ones on the Mark's Work Warehouse website. They were on sale (45% off). I guess Mark's hadn't read the article!
Old Nov 28th 2016, 11:56 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter boots

I saw that article a few days ago...so must have a lot of other people because the site was borked due to heavy traffic.
It didn't altogether surprise me. I haven't looked at mine yet but while they seem to do okay in snow they are useless in the rain. A thin coat of water seems to turn them into ice skates
Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I saw that article a few days ago...so must have a lot of other people because the site was borked due to heavy traffic.
It didn't altogether surprise me. I haven't looked at mine yet but while they seem to do okay in snow they are useless in the rain. A thin coat of water seems to turn them into ice skates
My Docs are fine in the rain, a bit slippy on ice. They were better when there was still tread on the bottom. Next time I'm in America or the UK I'll pick up another pair.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:21 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I'd be inclined to pay attention to the research that article refers to.

Geoff Fernie is a heavyweight in anything to do with this stuff. I met him over 20 years ago at Sunnybrook Hospital. He is into this kind of thing big-time, so the research will be pukka.

I'll be emailing you later, by the way. A couple of my colleagues are presenting today in London (on batteries). I'll get hold of it and whip it over to you.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE dabbler

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Boots shmoots
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Since moving out to the sticks I have used Muckboots:Muckboots

The OH and my girls have been using them for years at their various barns. I see that they come in steel toe capped too.

The only downside to them is that the sides of them tear relatively easily, so be careful around barbed wire.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Since moving out to the sticks I have used Muckboots:Muckboots

The OH and my girls have been using them for years at their various barns. I see that they come in steel toe capped too.

The only downside to them is that the sides of them tear relatively easily, so be careful around barbed wire.
I have a pair of those, they're warm and, more importantly, the top clamps to your leg so water does run into them as it does with most wellies (if you're doing stuff with water and are clumsy).
Old Nov 28th 2016, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a pair of those, they're warm and, more importantly, the top clamps to your leg so water does run into them as it does with most wellies (if you're doing stuff with water and are clumsy).
I agree.

The artic version appear to have soles that are very good in ice too. I haven't tried the "summer" version so I have no idea whether there is a difference between the summer and winter soles.

When using them on the tractor in winter, wearing a barbour type jacket too, for some reason, I have to refrain from telling everyone to, "Naff orf"
Old Nov 28th 2016, 3:21 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting read.

You want grip and waterproof.

I slipped on the ice a few years back on a downward slope doing some bruising and nerve damage to hand a wrist.

After research I found a good article on walking in icy conditions that said to focus your pressure on the balls of your feet. There is a tendency for people to try and tread carefully on their heals which is the worst thing you can do.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own any winter boots as they are not necessary here, but when I was in ON the boots I had were horrible. Slipping and sliding all over. So bad I wore runners most of the time as I slipped less.

No idea of the brand or type of boot though. Been too long to recall.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 4:29 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by JamesM
Interesting read.

You want grip and waterproof.

I slipped on the ice a few years back on a downward slope doing some bruising and nerve damage to hand a wrist.

After research I found a good article on walking in icy conditions that said to focus your pressure on the balls of your feet. There is a tendency for people to try and tread carefully on their heals which is the worst thing you can do.
And take shorter steps (the mid-winter mince).

I have learned (the hard way) to shorten my stride and not put too much weight on my heels.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Over here in the UK Sorel winter boots have become a high-fashion item for some celebs according to The Times, and various glossy magazines.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
Over here in the UK Sorel winter boots have become a high-fashion item for some celebs according to The Times, and various glossy magazines.
Sorel Boots Giveaway | CoolCanucks - Canadian Coupons, Contests, Deals and Freebies

I have a pair similar to these that I think I bought in 1994 soon after moving from Toronto to Ottawa. I now just wear them outside if it is about -20 c or colder and when I shovel the driveway in deep snow. Quite heavy to walk around in. They come with a detachable inner lining that you can order separately and I think I'm on my 2nd or 3rd of those.

The rest of the winter I usually wear Timberland hiking boots. Rarely wear anything else outside from about late November until early April.

My S-I-L from the outskirts of Hamilton is one of those true 905/416 Canadian winter deniers who wears running shoes most of the winter and then complains of cold feet. When she comes to Ottawa for a visit she can't believe the change in amount of snow and temps.

Slipping on the ice in running shoes that resulted in lots of physio and skidding in her car in the winter w/o snow tyres that caused lots of damage to the car didn't convince her of the need for real boots or tyres. Haven't even broached the dreaded BE topic of block heaters with her.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:28 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Sorel Boots Giveaway | CoolCanucks - Canadian Coupons, Contests, Deals and Freebies

I have a pair similar to these that I think I bought in 1994 soon after moving from Toronto to Ottawa. I now just wear them outside if it is about -20 c or colder and when I shovel the driveway in deep snow. Quite heavy to walk around in. They come with a detachable inner lining that you can order separately and I think I'm on my 2nd or 3rd of those.

The rest of the winter I usually wear Timberland hiking boots. Rarely wear anything else outside from about late November until early April.

My S-I-L from the outskirts of Hamilton is one of those true 905/416 Canadian winter deniers who wears running shoes most of the winter and then complains of cold feet. When she comes to Ottawa for a visit she can't believe the change in amount of snow and temps.

Slipping on the ice in running shoes that resulted in lots of physio and skidding in her car in the winter w/o snow tyres that caused lots of damage to the car didn't convince her of the need for real boots or tyres. Haven't even broached the dreaded BE topic of block heaters with her.
I have similar for deep snow. The Sorel boots were not rated well for ice, though.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:35 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i find you definitely need good ice boots as opposed to good snow boots. I'd prefer to walk in 6 inches of snow than any hint of ice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.