Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Winter 2019/20 It's here

Old Jan 10th 2020, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2019/20 It's here

Originally Posted by scilly
Our part of the city got about 1 cm of snow .......... it started at around 3 am, and was mixed rain and snow, with heavy snow at times, until around noon.

There is still snow on the grass and some sidewalks, but slush on the roads.
Really crazy sometimes all the micro climates in Vancouver, over here in our area of East Vancouver it was a wet snow around 3am, but wasn't sticking, by 8am the little bit on the grass outside was gone, and been just rain with a few snow flakes at times that don't stick.

2 winters ago when I was still working at the airport it rained all day, but wasn't that cold, rode my scooter home, and up Cambie from Cambie and 64th there was snow it was like instantly went from rain to snow, and by 41st it wasn't even raining and the streets were dry and no sign of snow at all. It was like a winter wonderland for 20 blocks...lol

Old Jan 11th 2020, 2:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Snowed for like 20 minutes early in the morning then rain, snow is gone, never stuck to the street, at least in our little part of the city,
The first of the season and what a mess it caused. While it didn't stick on the roads I had to cancel my golf round this afternoon. Winter's really here.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a quote from one of Environment Canada's senior meteorologists based here in Vancouver the other day. He said that Vancouver was the hardest place to forecast snow because of all the micro-climates, the water, the hills and the mountains!
Old Jan 11th 2020, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

San Diego similiar so many micro climates but snow is pretty isolated to above 1000 foot elevation and usually higher so bulk of they area doesnt get snow where most people live although it has snowed on the coast before but that is very very rare.

They get more extremes in temp though in their micro climates can be 20 on the coast and 35+ inland and deserts all within 90 minute drive of downtown.

Rain is hard to forecast there, SD is so far south they have a difficult time forecasting how far south storms will drop.

SD is in the spot of being too far south for lots of winter storms and too far north to get much of the tropical storms in the summer although there are some summer pop up storms if conditions are there for it.

Originally Posted by scilly
I saw a quote from one of Environment Canada's senior meteorologists based here in Vancouver the other day. He said that Vancouver was the hardest place to forecast snow because of all the micro-climates, the water, the hills and the mountains!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 11th 2020 at 3:33 am.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 11:06 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We've not had a great deal of snow so far.

So we'd need about another 70cm in the last two weeks of January to be "normal" and hopefully we won't.
No, we haven't! It's been OK. If it continues like this I can cope. I really am hoping it will just stay like this until the end of March
Old Jan 11th 2020, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Looks like it might be a windy day in some areas of Vancouver, could cause some delays at the airport as it sits right on the water and gets pretty gusty at times.

Showers ending early this morning then a mix of sun and cloud. Wind northwest 30 km/h increasing to 50 gusting to 70 except gusting to 90 near the water late this morning and early this afternoon. Temperature steady near plus 3.

Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Possible 25-35cm coming next Thursday.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 6:05 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This will be my first time to experience -30c. If you don't hear from me, send blankets and candles.

Statements10:53 AM PST Saturday 11 January 2020
Special weather statement in effect for:
  • South Thompson
Be prepared for bitterly cold air.

An extremely cold arctic airmass in the far north will make its way southward this weekend. This airmass will first move across the central interior today and then across the south on Sunday.

Temperatures will plummet to values not seen in years. With strong north winds, it is expected that wind chill values will reach between minus 30 and minus 40 through the central interior by Sunday morning and down to minus 30 in the Columbias and southwest interior by Monday morning. Most of the Kootenays won't reach really cold wind chill values until Monday night.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #BCStorm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 6:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
This will be my first time to experience -30c. If you don't hear from me, send blankets and candles.
You'll be all right. Plug the car in. It'll probably start anyway, but it's easier on it if it's plugged in a few hours before starting, and takes less time to start blowing warm air.
I got that statement on my phone this morning for Oliver, and the cold is going all the way down the valley. Osoyoos is supposed to be -26 on Monday night! I don't know if I've ever seen it that cold down there.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 11th 2020 at 6:23 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 7:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
This will be my first time to experience -30c.
Enjoy the frozen nostril hair.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 9:18 pm
Oscar nominated

I actually turned the heating off today...since I did so the house temperature went up
Old Jan 12th 2020, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Snowing a bit but not sticking.

Its sticking now on the signs and awning but not the street yet.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 12th 2020 at 7:44 am.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 3:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
You'll be all right. Plug the car in. It'll probably start anyway, but it's easier on it if it's plugged in a few hours before starting, and takes less time to start blowing warm air.
I got that statement on my phone this morning for Oliver, and the cold is going all the way down the valley. Osoyoos is supposed to be -26 on Monday night! I don't know if I've ever seen it that cold down there.
My phone lit up like a Christmas tree this morning, so many weather alerts.

I have to go shovel now before it gets too cold, poxy weather. Who would have thought Canada gets cold eh? This is some bull sheet.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Woke up to a bit of snow, nothing crazy though but the plow did tick the dog off at 7am.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Snowing pretty heavy, and currently around 0C.

My wife has her first day of actual work tomorrow, transit will probably be a mess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.