Why No Mention ?

Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why No Mention ?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The best pub I ever lived near was in Cambridge, on the River Cam. We lived in a houseboat moored in the river, close enough that we used the pub's toilets to wash in.

The houseboat eventually sank due to an unfortunate incident involving bilge pumps and feral ducks, so we had to move.

In July this year, we went back to this pub and were horrified that it's been turned into a Wetherspoon's.

Dogs. Country. Gone.
oh dear, full of old ladies drinking tea and eating jacket potatoes with prawn mayo filling.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
oh dear, full of old ladies drinking tea and eating jacket potatoes with prawn mayo filling.
Got it in one.

Another anecdote from my recent travels in the UK was connected to an overnight stay in the village of Eynsham, near Oxford, the first place we lived after we got married in 1972.

Right next door to the house we shared there was a pub called the Queen's Head (do you see a pattern here?), it's still there so I popped in for a pint.

It had also changed a lot but I mentioned to the barmaid that the last time I had been in there was 40 years ago. She was impressed and called the landlord over and repeated my story.

He then came up with a truly British repost, namely...

"I'm not talking to him, he's not a regular".
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Got it in one.

Another anecdote from my recent travels in the UK was connected to an overnight stay in the village of Eynsham, near Oxford, the first place we lived after we got married in 1972.

Right next door to the house we shared there was a pub called the Queen's Head (do you see a pattern here?), it's still there so I popped in for a pint.

It had also changed a lot but I mentioned to the barmaid that the last time I had been in there was 40 years ago. She was impressed and called the landlord over and repeated my story.

He then came up with a truly British repost, namely...

"I'm not talking to him, he's not a regular".
Regular as every 40 years
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as an old lady, I deny ever eating prawns in potatoes or drinking in a Wetherspoons.

However, I'm not entirely against gastro-pubs. Earlier this year I had an excellent lunch, if pricey, at the Inn in Oxney. I'm looking forward to taking my husband there the next time we are in the UK together.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A pub I used to visit fairly often has been fitted with some sort of internetal thingie. Whenever someone I know enters, presumably someone carrying a mobile telephone, I receive a message "Eric Smithers has checked in at the Castle". Well, bloody wonderful for Eric but plainly the pub's gone downhill.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A pub I used to visit fairly often has been fitted with some sort of internetal thingie. Whenever someone I know enters, presumably someone carrying a mobile telephone, I receive a message "Eric Smithers has checked in at the Castle". Well, bloody wonderful for Eric but plainly the pub's gone downhill.
That's it. I admit that when I'm in Newcastle (usually staying with my 85 year old Father in law, who can't even handle voicemail, let alone the internet) I have been reduced to Wetherspoon's just to get online.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who had a serious desire to drink in an Olde English Pub and when he finally made it over in the mid- '70s and found the perfect bar with the low smokey beams... they told him to piss off and go get a haircut.