Why No Mention ?

Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:51 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why No Mention ?

Originally Posted by bats
Seems Canadians don't know much about it either

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...emoration.html
If you have your citizenship, doesn't that make you one also?

I am guessing that you have? If not I take it back
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:59 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

In the nineteenth century Britain was the victor in rather a lot of wars. I've done a quick count with the aid of Wikipedia and tallied 69. In the process it "absent mindedly" acquired an empire. Most of them we prefer to forget (including and especially the opium wars). 1812 just doesn't figure as large in British history as in Canadian.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
In the nineteenth century Britain was the victor in rather a lot of wars. I've done a quick count with the aid of Wikipedia and tallied 69. In the process it "absent mindedly" acquired an empire. Most of them we prefer to forget (including and especially the opium wars). 1812 just doesn't figure as large in British history as in Canadian.
Even though it was largely (if not overwhelmingly) a British action.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:17 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

At what point did the French surrender in the war of 1812?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
If you have your citizenship, doesn't that make you one also?

I am guessing that you have? If not I take it back
I don't
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Even though it was largely (if not overwhelmingly) a British action.
But it was a side-show to the main field of conflict at the time -- the war against Napoleon. Also, another reason for not celebrating the war of 1812, is that it took place on more than one front, and in the American South it was a disaster -- The Battle of New Orleans was a notable defeat and the commander, Wellington's brother-in-law Pakenham died during the battle.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

But it was a side-show to the main field of conflict at the time -- the war against Napoleon. Also, another reason for not celebrating the war of 1812, is that it took place on more than one front, and in the American South it was a disaster -- The Battle of New Orleans was a notable defeat and the commander, Wellington's brother-in-law Pakenham died during the battle.
I used to drink in his pub.

(The Pakenham Arms near Grays Inn Road)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:44 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Probably named after General Edward Pakenham, but there are other possibilities -- there were a couple of Admiral Pakenhams, and it is the family name of the Earls of Longford.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:51 pm
limey party pooper

Probably named after General Edward Pakenham, but there are other possibilities -- there were a couple of Admiral Pakenhams, and it is the family name of the Earls of Longford.
You know, I never worried about the pub's provenance but now I am going to have to Google to find out.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

balmarino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's propaganda; the Harper government is forcing the bicentennial of that dubious victory down our throats to draw attention away from the dishonesty and deceit they've been managing our country and our affairs with. If we're going to fork out all the money for jets and trucks and maybe submarines for the armed forces they run positive national pride historical vignettes with weapons in them. It isn't even good sleight of hand. Veterans affairs should of been allocated whatever all the 1812 bull cost and spent it on the vets.
Yes man! the Yanks dominate Canada to the core, they own the place the US secret agenda was/is own and buy-up a nation and its in your back pocket... South America~ Cuba? till they were kicked-out by the great Castro... like the UN Nato ect..... Even American accents in Canada~ how~~ sad indeed, plus their uncouth misspelings.... Who really stands on guard for thee? Who?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:59 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

In case you haven't found it: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...reet_London_UK

So definitely Edward.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:04 am
limey party pooper

In case you haven't found it: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...reet_London_UK

So definitely Edward.
Yep, found the same thing

It looks a fancy place now. It was a lovely scruffy pub in olden times
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:11 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I don't remember ever drinking there, although I know the area well. I wonder if there are any pubs in central London that haven't been done up?

Back in 2006, not long before I left the UK, I was attending a meeting a small former mining village in North Staffs. Afterwards I took a friend to the local, telling him he was in for a treat because it was a typical working man's pub. We walked through the door and found ourselves in a"gastro-pub", all chrome and smoked glass and leather chairs. We fell about laughing.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:13 am
limey party pooper

I don't remember ever drinking there, although I know the area well. I wonder if there are any pubs in central London that haven't been done up?

Back in 2006, not long before I left the UK, I was attending a meeting a small former mining village in North Staffs. Afterwards I took a friend to the local, telling him he was in for a treat because it was a typical working man's pub. We walked through the door and found ourselves in a"gastro-pub", all chrome and smoked glass and leather chairs. We fell about laughing.
I feel your pain!

I used to live very near to the Pakenham so went there often. One bar was Post Office workers and the other hospital workers.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yep, found the same thing

It looks a fancy place now. It was a lovely scruffy pub in olden times
The best pub I ever lived near was in Cambridge, on the River Cam. We lived in a houseboat moored in the river, close enough that we used the pub's toilets to wash in.

The houseboat eventually sank due to an unfortunate incident involving bilge pumps and feral ducks, so we had to move.

In July this year, we went back to this pub and were horrified that it's been turned into a Wetherspoon's.

Dogs. Country. Gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.