Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why a Christian Prime Minister?

Why a Christian Prime Minister?

Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why a Christian Prime Minister?

You seem to be saying 'pragmatism about race' ... whatever that means.

I don't have a poor opinion of politicians, quite the contrary, I think on the whole they are decent people representing their conflicted group of constituents.

My trouble with your line of reasoning is that it assumes that the racism that once existed in society persists to the same degree. I don't think it does. I don't think it is particularly relevant in Britain or Canada, and just as a female PM was elected 'out if the blue' the same could and will happen for a person of colour or non-Christian.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Let's see now.
If I choose to cross the road where there is a designated crossing rather than simply choosing a stretch of open road I'm choosing the safer option, the avoidable risk. I could choose the riskier option but I might trip up and get flattened.
I submit that parties, by choosing the white christian candidate, are emulating that. They recognize that the voting population as a whole may be racist and are accepting the fact when they make their choice.
It is possible, of course, that party individuals may of themselves be closet racist and will influence any choice of PM, but once again, the safer party option would be to exclude such members since such publicity would reflect badly on the party and generate a hostage to fortune.
I have a very poor opinion of the average politician, generally a self serving, greedy individual lacking principle and having a rubbery backbone allowing him to sway with the prevailing breeze. That being said, although racism may be endemic in society it is certainly not the acceptable norm as such can only serve to influence the choice of party leader.
I see no evidence that choice of any party leader has been made on grounds of race, only pure pragmatism.
Do you not accept that most politicians in most western democracies would be capable of earning far more outside of their public role than they will serving the public? Think of your municipal and provincial politicians.

Working out of the gaze of the media, they would have far more freedom.

I don't doubt that there are some that milk the system but I doubt very much that many are in it for financial gain, although I fully accept that some will use their time in public life to earn money once that finishes.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you not accept that most politicians in most western democracies would be capable of earning far more outside of their public role than they will serving the public? Think of your municipal and provincial politicians.
Is that the case? Once they have achieved office, then yes they could probably earn more if they went elsewhere. Before that though, I'm not so sure.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is that the case? Once they have achieved office, then yes they could probably earn more if they went elsewhere. Before that though, I'm not so sure.
Have a look at what your municipal or provincial politicians earn. I believe that most that are capable of attaining such a position, should be more than capable of earning more. Of course, the recent Alberta election and those that rode on Jack Layton's coat tails, shows that some are elected with minimal effort, but I suggest they are the exception rather than the rule.

When one considers that, typically, their time in public office coincides with what is likely to be their peak earning years, I would be very surprised if they were unable to earn more. Wild horses couldn't persuade me to take such a pay cut for such a position.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 12:30 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Have a look at what your municipal or provincial politicians earn. I believe that most that are capable of attaining such a position, should be more than capable of earning more. Of course, the recent Alberta election and those that rode on Jack Layton's coat tails, shows that some are elected with minimal effort, but I suggest they are the exception rather than the rule.

When one considers that, typically, their time in public office coincides with what is likely to be their peak earning years, I would be very surprised if they were unable to earn more. Wild horses couldn't persuade me to take such a pay cut for such a position.
Maybe, but most of my local politicians are actually not the bright. I don't mean this in a "naive cynicism" manner, I actually really do think they are a bit thick.

Also, you only need a few years in to max out a pension in an elected position here. The large number of BC MLA's deciding not to stand when they hit this point was eye opening to how self-serving these people are. I accept that it is likely that most stand with good intentions at first, but the system, as it is, corrupts them all without exception.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 18th 2015 at 12:35 am. Reason: I has spelling..
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
who needs to be the Prime Minister, when a smaller job can get you a better work day ...

(source: Calgary Herald)

Salaries for Calgary’s mayor and councillors rose 3.8 per cent as of Jan. 1 after living with a one-year pay freeze in 2014. Each councillor now makes $115,297.92 a year, while Mayor Nenshi’s annual salary is $216,380.44.

Nenshi is the top-paid civic politician in the country.

(source: Parl.gc.ca)

Prime Minister: base salary $167,400, additional salary $167,400 Total $334,800
True but they don't have the same power as the PM and lets face it some want that power. I can't think of an ex PM who after losing office wasn't rewarded with some lucrative job offer or making money via other means just by being a PM.

As a PM yes you have to make tough decisions and face a higher level of scrutiny but as we have seen you don't always need to be accountable as you can blame others or makes statements that they could not control a market crash or other disaster that affects the economy.
Look at some of the perks you get as PM
1. A plane to take you here and there in comfort. No economy class.
2. Chauffer driven car
3. People willing to take a bullet for you.
4. Lots of free meals and gifts from overseas jaunts.
5. Rent free house
6. Pissed off with the cold in February mmmm how about a summit meeting or visit to a tropical country.
7. Probably lots of freebies when visiting manufacturers or meeting trade delegations. If I visit Apple will I get a new iPad?
8. You get to summon people to meet with you
9. No CBSA checks or examinations when coming home and you have that few extra bottles of rum.
10. Staff to cater to you or do jobs for you.
11. Get to meet more famous people and chat with them
12. Free tickets to major sporting events globally if you push it and incorporate a visit say when the World Cup final is on

Im sure there are a few more but you get my drift.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They might be able to earn more elsewhere, but they are hardly poor, the base salary for a provincial MLA is 102,000 and this is before all the perks they get.

Our municipal council is a mix of self employed/have another job, I'd say on the local level they are more likely to care, provincial and above not so much, they are hand picked by the party, and I have no faith in any of them.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Have someone pretend to be you and phone up Elton John....

Okay, not PM but same principle.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They might be able to earn more elsewhere, but they are hardly poor, the base salary for a provincial MLA is 102,000 and this is before all the perks they get.
Even here it's $80k topped up by up to $80k according to role.

Interestingly I came across a CBC report of NB provincial employees salaries above $100k. Something like a third of the list were above the then PM.

Most of those scraping by on $250k were all in the Health Department or Judges. Those just below $200k were NB Power and those are often the jobs ex ministers or campaign managers are rewarded with.

So plenty earning above MLA's even ministers and that's just Provincial employees.

But perhaps the route to these jobs is after one has been in politics rather than as an alternative.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True but they don't have the same power as the PM and lets face it some want that power. I can't think of an ex PM who after losing office wasn't rewarded with some lucrative job offer or making money via other means just by being a PM.

As a PM yes you have to make tough decisions and face a higher level of scrutiny but as we have seen you don't always need to be accountable as you can blame others or makes statements that they could not control a market crash or other disaster that affects the economy.
1. A plane to take you here and there in comfort. No economy class.
2. Chauffer driven car
3. People willing to take a bullet for you.
4. Lots of free meals and gifts from overseas jaunts.
5. Rent free house
6. Pissed off with the cold in February mmmm how about a summit meeting or visit to a tropical country.
7. Probably lots of freebies when visiting manufacturers or meeting trade delegations. If I visit Apple will I get a new iPad?
8. You get to summon people to meet with you
9. No CBSA checks or examinations when coming home and you have that few extra bottles of rum.
10. Staff to cater to you or do jobs for you.
11. Get to meet more famous people and chat with them
12. Free tickets to major sporting events globally if you push it and incorporate a visit say when the World Cup final is on

Im sure there are a few more but you get my drift.
Eh? Anyone that has been involved in CQP will know that, if one states that they are willing to take a bullet for their principal, they won't be invited to begin training. The idea is to ensure that such an event never happens.

Outside of Hollywood, can you think of a situation where someone jumped in front of a bullet to "save" their principal?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Eh?

Outside of Hollywood, can you think of a situation where someone jumped in front of a bullet to "save" their principal?
Welsh 'hero' shot in Tunisia terror attack returns home | Wales - ITV News
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? Anyone that has been involved in CQP will know that, if one states that they are willing to take a bullet for their principal, they won't be invited to begin training. The idea is to ensure that such an event never happens.

So why do most leaders and a raft of police forces have bodyguards and what is their purpose? To protect the principal. Sure maybe in todays world they don't ask the question Would you jump in front of a bullet but that is what is expected to a degree. If performing a protective circle around the principle what would you call that? A protective circle or putting yourself in the line of fire?
Look at the reaction of the Secret Service after Reagan was shot.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was he a "professional bodyguard"?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So why do most leaders and a raft of police forces have bodyguards and what is their purpose? To protect the principal. Sure maybe in todays world they don't ask the question Would you jump in front of a bullet but that is what is expected to a degree. If performing a protective circle around the principle what would you call that? A protective circle or putting yourself in the line of fire?
Look at the reaction of the Secret Service after Reagan was shot.
You are no good to your principal if you are dead or injured.

Most CQP is concerned with avoiding someone getting anywhere near your principal.

Those properly trained do not form a circle around anyone. Have you not seen Bodyguard?

Speak to some of your ex-monkey friends. Surely, some of them must have been trained properly.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 18th 2015 at 3:08 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are no good to your principal if you are dead or injured.

Most CQP is concerned with avoiding someone getting anywhere near your principal.

Those properly trained do not form a circle around anyone. Have you not seen Bodyguard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jBQ1rflxXE

Speak to some of your ex-monkey friends. Surely, some of them must have been trained properly.
Yes I worked with some members of 177 Provost Company. As you say most is trying to avoid these situations but as we have seen attacks can't always be thwarted especially when the principal is in a vehicle. Did I fancy doing it then NO as the risk and reward wasn't enticing enough for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.