Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who'd have a wooden house?

Who'd have a wooden house?

Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who'd have a wooden house?

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's the sea water, it makes everything rust.
Not quite, but it's true that whereas others in Canada might have a dry kind of cold, we, largely have the wet kind. And with lots of wind. In fact I think it's the wind that is the thing. The weather here, particularly in the winter feels rather abrasive!

EDIT: See what I mean?

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Sep 14th 2010 at 6:49 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:17 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the damp, the damp will get you.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Bill_S has the right of it - it's a surface imperfection rather than a crack that goes all the way through.
Nothing came away when the form was removed....the concrete had already set by then (at least the initial hardening)....

When you are left with a surface like that it is because the concrete in that area was poorly tamped/vibrated.

Ah well...it only means your house is about to topple over...
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:35 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I laughed at that too
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been concerned about thatched roofs. They must be quite expensive.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:17 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I've always been concerned about thatched roofs. They must be quite expensive.
And not overly practical in BC
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think you could turn your hand to asphalting and help me do my driveway now ?

The prices I am getting for a small 2 car driveway are getting higher as the year goes on ( I was hoping they would stop trying to rape me as the demand lessened but not to be) Latest quote was 4500
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Do you think you could turn your hand to asphalting and help me do my driveway now ?

The prices I am getting for a small 2 car driveway are getting higher as the year goes on ( I was hoping they would stop trying to rape me as the demand lessened but not to be) Latest quote was 4500
Blimey, that seems like a lot for a 2 car drive. What are the dimensions. My memory has faded but when we got our drive done in 07 we paid around $7k I think. That was for 4500 sq ft! I suspect you are getting silly prices because the job is too small/there are not enough other jobs in the area to make it worth their while. Can you get together with other neighbours and try and get a group deal? Or perhaps consider block paving or concrete instead!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I was open to the concrete idea but the wife shot me down in flames so its back to stopping the asphalt crews in the street hoping for a better price

The problem is the guys have more work on than they can handle before the asphalt plants shut so they can throw silly prices around - I have heard a rumour that the plant will be staying open later this year to get Topsail Rd paved before the worst of the winter sets in
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Tell the Mrs that it's concrete or crushed stone.....

On another note, what does one do for lunchtime entertainment in Donovans then?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Usually head home for lunch , let the dog out for a pee and look at my unpaved driveway

Once a week generally head over to the chinese buffet in that square beside Tolls
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Blimey, that seems like a lot for a 2 car drive. What are the dimensions. My memory has faded but when we got our drive done in 07 we paid around $7k I think. That was for 4500 sq ft! I suspect you are getting silly prices because the job is too small/there are not enough other jobs in the area to make it worth their while. Can you get together with other neighbours and try and get a group deal? Or perhaps consider block paving or concrete instead!
Was speaking to a mate in the building industry - It seems that in the last 3 years the price of asphalt has went from around $1 a square foot to $3 (estimated mine at 1,000 ft2) and if you speak with an accent they tack another grand on to the price - He is going to make a few calls to his own contacts this week with his "Newfie" accent and see if he can get a bit better price for me
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Loving the blue house. Not the snowdrift picture though, we haven't even done fall yet
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:55 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Was speaking to a mate in the building industry - It seems that in the last 3 years the price of asphalt has went from around $1 a square foot to $3 (estimated mine at 1,000 ft2) and if you speak with an accent they tack another grand on to the price - He is going to make a few calls to his own contacts this week with his "Newfie" accent and see if he can get a bit better price for me
Oil price, mate. That and the fact that less gasoline is being sold (ie produced). Asphalt is generated as a by-product of gasoline.

The basic input costs more and there isn't enough of it. The energy costs for production have also gone up. It costs more to make. The costs of the other crap put into the shingles have gone up. Transport costs have gone up.

etc, etc.......
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Souvy
Oil price, mate. That and the fact that less gasoline is being sold (ie produced). Asphalt is generated as a by-product of gasoline.

The basic input costs more and there isn't enough of it. The energy costs for production have also gone up. It costs more to make. The costs of the other crap put into the shingles have gone up. Transport costs have gone up.

etc, etc.......
All true but the overwhelming factor here is limited season, high demand and small supply (small number of contractors). The problem is essentially finding someone who is motivated enough to come haul all their equipment for one small job when they have entire subdivisions/parking lots/roads to do. Hence suggesting banding together with some neighbours to make it worthwhile for the contractor to come out.

Failing that, there was a Home Hardware ad in the paper Saturday doing a deal on block pavers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.