Who visits who?

Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:42 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who visits who?

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I think you and I have relatives in common.

How far did you travel in the UK w/o a rental car? To me that is one of the perks of a visit there actually driving where a car can be fun to drive rather than the dead straight rural roads here or the mind numbing cultural cul-de-sacs of suburbia.
My son has a car we just put gas in and he take us all places. The idea of our holiday was to get away from -25 temps and just spend time with new grandson and it all worked out fine for us all.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 4:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Got back March 3
So you could be a suspect then.
Were you anywhere near a BMW that day?

Yeh the triple murder by the boyfriend near our house in south Ajax. My boy knows him, he works out same gym, guy was a real odd ball for sure my lad says.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:02 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody villagers!

Originally Posted by bats
When you go back to the old country are you the one that makes arrangements to visit rellies or do they invite you?

I'm staying at my mum's and I've heard nothing from my niece or SIL - as usual. No messages saying did I have a good journey, my brother visited the first evening. Usually I walk round and see them but this visit I haven't. I'm just pissed off. Am I supposed to be asking when I can visit?
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. Largely on who is staying where and with whom, while on a visit.

Last time we went en famille, there are too many of us for any of my relatives to put up in their homes, so we rented a vacation property. Rellies knew when we were coming and roughly what our itinerary would be, so we arranged a couple of visits in advance, in both directions... we visited one of my sisters who has space to host the whole family for an evening; we then had everybody over to our holiday rental for a barbecue and my other sister and her kids up for the night.

I'll do that for family; friends are different. It's easier when travelling sans kids - then what I've tended to do is put a post up on FB or somewhere saying "I'll be in this pub on this evening - come over and say hi if you're in the area" rather than trying to organize individual trips to visit people. There are one or two old friends I'd make the effort to travel to say hi to; anybody else can go stuff themselves if they can't make it a few miles out of their way when I'm already several thousand out of mine.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 3:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I'll do that for family; friends are different. It's easier when travelling sans kids - then what I've tended to do is put a post up on FB or somewhere saying "I'll be in this pub on this evening - come over and say hi if you're in the area" rather than trying to organize individual trips to visit people. There are one or two old friends I'd make the effort to travel to say hi to; anybody else can go stuff themselves if they can't make it a few miles out of their way when I'm already several thousand out of mine.
This. I do the same (on a larger trip with family as opposed to one of my regular solo business trips). Done the running around like blue arsed flies thing and learned my lesson! Aside from visiting a specific friend - last time we rented a holiday cottage with one set of friends and stayed a night with another on the way back to my folks - we'll do a pub lunch stopover where most of our friends live & those that can and want to meet will & those that have life getting in the way or can't be bothered wont.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 3:25 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Last time we went back, most of the relatives popped in to visit at my parent's place (mum tends to send out the word of our impending arrival to the rellies) , so traveling around wasn't required. We did specifically pop down to see my brother and his family, as we wanted to, a) see my nephew, b) see their dog, c) see the sea , d) pub nearby for booze n food, and e) well, he's my brother and I'm happy to go and see him.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I usually tell people when I am visiting and ask when they are free. My brother's wife and daughter never reply. My brother always calls round the day I arrive and previously I've walked round to visit them, but not this time. I'd probably never see them again if I weren't here to stay with Mum. That's fine I guess. I shall stop feeling guilty abou.t not visiting this time.
I hear you. When I visit, I make all the arrangements and schedule when to "fit everyone in" no one ever understands the gruelling schedule I set myself to catch up with everyone, I like to see people but its exhausting, and some even think I snub them in some situations!

I have never had any family visit and only 2 friends in almost 9 years, so now I just do what I can, after all...I was the one that left them, however if they don't approve of my schedule or place to meet, I don't worry about it anymore, as I know I have I have personally done all I can to stay in contact.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It depends. Largely on who is staying where and with whom, while on a visit.

Last time we went en famille, there are too many of us for any of my relatives to put up in their homes, so we rented a vacation property. Rellies knew when we were coming and roughly what our itinerary would be, so we arranged a couple of visits in advance, in both directions... we visited one of my sisters who has space to host the whole family for an evening; we then had everybody over to our holiday rental for a barbecue and my other sister and her kids up for the night.

I did a similar thing to this last time, (saying I would be in such and such pub at such and such time) I did mention to my sister that it would be nice to have a few family members around to her place for a gathering, but she didn't want the kids to be up late, even though it was a half term holiday and they were off school. As a person who has never had kids and not knowing the implications of tired kids, I just said ok and left it at that.

However you would think that as they only see me every 2-3 years, and im making the effort to stay connected they may take exception and accept a little bit of inconvenience, but it appears not, so that was that. I tried.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:37 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

"Happiness is a close-knit family, 500 miles away."