New Terminology

Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:34 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb New Terminology

I'll be forever grateful to BritExpats for introducing the term Cradle to me, something I don't think I could do without these days.

I've been thinking about another needed term (shades of Meaning of Liff here)- for those friends & family that never left home and have no concept of living abroad and no desire to emigrate. The ones who everytime you drop back treat it as if you've just been in isolation for 6 months and don't really want to hear about your experiences in bongo-bongo land or the canuckstani tundra.

This week thinking about it (leading from an interaction with the "bloke across the road" who's trying to set up skype on mum's tablet) i've come up with:

Villager

Anyone who plays minecraft or has offspring who do will know this is sufficiently derogatory to get the point across, without being overtly rude.

Just like Cradle, really.

Last edited by Pizzawheel; Mar 15th 2018 at 1:40 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Terminology

There used to be villagers in Age of Empires, not a bad term. Local, maybe? Local yokels. They exist everywhere.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:43 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough Bloke across the road was utterly bewildered by the email address associated with this very handle, pizzawheel. He couldn't get his head round an email not being based on firstname- lastname plus location and/or birthdate.....

Though I have to confess that my first online handle neatly gave away my name and address in one fell swoop. That was 20 years ago mind....
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

So having adopted a pejorative name for people who were born in the country that you chose to emigrate too, you now propose another pejorative term for people in the country you left behind whose lives seem to go on unhindered by either your departure or visit?
Old Mar 15th 2018, 3:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So having adopted a pejorative name for people who were born in the country that you chose to emigrate too, you now propose another pejorative term for people in the country you left behind whose lives seem to go on unhindered by either your departure or visit?
Why yes, of course. Insults are an equal-opportunity phenomenon.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I've been thinking about another needed term (shades of Meaning of Liff here)- for those friends & family that never left home and have no concept of living abroad and no desire to emigrate. The ones who everytime you drop back treat it as if you've just been in isolation for 6 months and don't really want to hear about your experiences in bongo-bongo land or the canuckstani tundra.
You've described one of my uncle's perfectly. My family (including his brother) have been here 35+ years and not one visit or even an interest in one. We've been there many times and he has been on a number of trips abroad from the UK but never here. He and his wife do tend to like all inclusive cruises or resorts so Canada doesn't really tick those boxes.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 3:58 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Why yes, of course. Insults are an equal-opportunity phenomenon.
Exactly. As a Brit, lovey-dovey labels just don't do it for me. I'll leave those for the seppos (gee! that's an awesome toastrack)

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You've described one of my uncle's perfectly. My family (including his brother) have been here 35+ years and not one visit or even an interest in one. We've been there many times and he has been on a number of trips abroad from the UK but never here. He and his wife do tend to like all inclusive cruises or resorts so Canada doesn't really tick those boxes.
Yes! Package Holidays would totally be a characteristic of a villager.

Pub convo on return to blighty (from africa, obvs):

Villager 1: "I went into B&Q the other day, going to wallpaper the front room"

PW: "I saw a lion the other day"

Villager 2: "Did you see anything you liked? I heard magnolia chrysanthemum patterns are in this year".
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Although "cradle" is not necessarily pejorative...
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:25 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by Shard
Although "cradle" is not necessarily pejorative...
It's about as perjorative as you can get for a canadian; it's a bit like kicking a kitten isn't it?

I think it's because they don't play cricket.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Originally Posted by Shard
There used to be villagers in Age of Empires, not a bad term. Local, maybe? Local yokels. They exist everywhere.
I cant read and i cant write but i can drive a tractor!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:55 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Doesnt really work for a Torontonian Lumbersexual though does it?

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I cant read and i cant write but i can drive a tractor!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking about another needed term (shades of Meaning of Liff here)- for those friends & family that never left home and have no concept of living abroad and no desire to emigrate.
I wonder if that's how my children see me; unadventurously plodding along in the north American monoculture.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wonder if that's how my children see me; unadventurously plodding along in the north American monoculture.
I doubt it. You fly somewhere every couple of weeks don't you?
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:25 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
Don't worry, they probably don't give you a second thought.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt really work for a Torontonian Lumbersexual though does it?
You mean like this Olivier Giroud look-a-like

What's Brewin' | LumberSexual Session IPA returns to Covered Bridge Brewing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.