Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who is sick of the same questions.... ?

Who is sick of the same questions.... ?

Old Nov 10th 2007, 6:13 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is sick of the same questions.... ?

Originally Posted by NSpaul
or...

"how can I retire to Canada? I dont want to work so presume I can just turn up and live in Canda for as long as I want? I have loads of money from selling my house in the UK so I wont be a drain on the system. Obviously I dont plan on paying any tax in Canada but I have lots of money so will be able to buy my house outright and live off all the loads of money I have left over" etc etc
Wish i had posted this one, lucky sod
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:06 am
Just Joined

BertieNurse is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have thought the whole idea of this site was to help people like us who need answers to those questions. I guess everyone was "new" once or maybe not...
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Asking questions is great - don't care how many times they ask, and like you, I welcome new input. But what really gets my goat is when someone whines that "it" (whatever it is at any given time) isn't as good as, or like, in England. Helloooo, this isn't England, it's Canada, and if you wanted it all exactly the same stay put. Oh dear, the older I get the less tolerant I am.
Wait till you get to 157 then all you do is whack someone over the head before they even open their mouth.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
There are some non-miserable people on here who will help you....
thanks AmyDavid forgive my ignorance but have you gone yet,
Do you know whats the best way to get a job there before SV as the wait is very long, from what i have read the visa should be fast tracked if you are working there with correct permit ? is it best to go out there and get interviews or can you do it over the net.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:14 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Jamie, and welcome to the BE forum.

It would be an enormous help if you would read the following:
Originally Posted by jamie123
Do you know whats the best way to get a job there before SV
I'm struggling to figure out what SV is but, yes, getting a job is enormously helpful, I would almost say essential, in gaining entry into Canada in any reasonable time frame.

from what i have read the visa should be fast tracked if you are working there with correct permit?
Well, going to Canada on a temporary work permit and then using the offer of a permanent job to fast-track your application for a permanent residence visa is one way of doing it.

You also can fast-track your PR application if you get an Arranged Employment Opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada before you get to Canada.

Still another way to speed up your PR application is to apply for sponsorship via one of the Provincial Nominee Programs.

is it best to go out there and get interviews or can you do it over the net
For many reasons, including job hunting, a recce trip is extremely beneficial. But, even before you get to Canada in person, you can achieve a lot by making phone calls from the UK. The differences between the employment cultures in the UK and Canada and the best approach to take when you're job hunting in Canada are explained in the BE Wiki articles on job hunting in Canada.

Another Wiki article that may be helpful is the one on Canadian abbreviations. The list does not as yet have SV on it. Perhaps you would like to add it.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:16 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
The list does not as yet have SV on it. Perhaps you would like to add it.
Skilled Volunteer?

Actually, I suspect from context Skilled worker Visa.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
Skilled Volunteer?

Actually, I suspect from context Skilled worker Visa.
Aah, yes.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hi, Jamie, and welcome to the BE forum.

It would be an enormous help if you would read the following:
I'm struggling to figure out what SV is but, yes, getting a job is enormously helpful, I would almost say essential, in gaining entry into Canada in any reasonable time frame.

Well, going to Canada on a temporary work permit and then using the offer of a permanent job to fast-track your application for a permanent residence visa is one way of doing it.

You also can fast-track your PR application if you get an Arranged Employment Opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada before you get to Canada.

Still another way to speed up your PR application is to apply for sponsorship via one of the Provincial Nominee Programs.

For many reasons, including job hunting, a recce trip is extremely beneficial. But, even before you get to Canada in person, you can achieve a lot by making phone calls from the UK. The differences between the employment cultures in the UK and Canada and the best approach to take when you're job hunting in Canada are explained in the BE Wiki articles on job hunting in Canada.

Another Wiki article that may be helpful is the one on Canadian abbreviations. The list does not as yet have SV on it. Perhaps you would like to add it.
thanks judy, been reading and searching, yes sv should be SW, i hope i am patient with new pepes when i have been through all this,
there is so much to learn cheers sue