Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who here likes rootbeer?

Wikiposts

Who here likes rootbeer?

Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:33 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who here likes rootbeer?

I've always liked root beer but suppose it wouldn't sell as well if you called it germoline. I had an uncle who used to make his own root beer and ginger beer and it was very good.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I love Root Beer, does vary by the brand though. The worst is Barqs, that stuff has a bad aftertaste that stays in your mouth. Good Root Beer should be smooth, since homemade root beer is made with Vanilla. A&W is the best, but Mug isn't bad either. .....
I guess there's no accounting for taste - I love the taste of Barq's, but Mug is the worst, a muddy flavour, poorly defined, and with no bite (I assume that it is the caffeine in Barq's that gives it its bite).
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
The one and only time I tried it I thought it was awful and flavored with Euthymol toothpaste ! Do they still make that stuff ?
Funny you should mention that.... it does remind me more of Euthymol than Germolene.... although they could all be from the same family!

Yes, they still make Euthymol... I buy it whenever I'm in the UK to "de-fluoridate" myself for a few weeks (found it impossible to buy fluoride-free toothpaste where we are).
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
At A&W restaurants in addition to Root Beer you used to be able to get "Swamp Water" (half and half Root Beer and Orange pop) "Brown Cow" (half and half Root Beer and milk) or "Jungle Juice" (one third milk, one third Root Beer and one third Orange pop).

Not at all sure if you can get the latter two these days but you might still be able to get "Swamp Water".

Any one of them does tend to dull the Germolene taste.

There may have been one more concoction I'm not 100% sure on though, "Tiger-Tiger" (half and half Orange pop and milk).
Now they sound interesting(possibly vomit-inducing though in hte milk one!)

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I was exactly the same with the germolene taste, then my hubby suggested I try rum and root beer. I'm all like "really???? you wanna ruin a decent drink with that shite???"

But it is delicious beleive it or not!
I'm all for rum & maybe this would be the answer. Rum & anything sounds good when my 3 kids have been harping on at me all day

Originally Posted by sharkus
Ah the taste of wintergreen. Used to get some kind of candy too that was wintergreen flavoured, so perhaps that's where the wintergreen thing comes from, as in the name. Anyway, have to say I do like rootbeer from A&W, along with their burgers (100% horsemeat too )
Is this a brand or another drink? If it's another drink, what does this taste like?

Originally Posted by iaink
My wife does, but then shes Canadian. (+1 for A&W)

To me it tastes like medicine, but then the first time I tasted that taste it was in a medicine. If Id had it as pop first I would probably like it more.

Mind you, one kid is currently on a horrible artificial "banana" flavoured antibiotic, and she loves the stuff. Its all we can do to stop her overmedicating, so you just cant account for personal taste.
My eldest was like that, until they came out with an orange version(which was probably cheaper), he then refused to take it!

I have a particular fondness for Calpol (not the sugar-free version). My brother still uses it as he has always had this majorly weird thing about not swallowing tablets! He's such a big baby(27!)