Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who gets the flu shot?

Who gets the flu shot?

Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who gets the flu shot?

Originally Posted by dbd33
If they spent a lot of time outdoors they'd be frozen to death. Flu seems a good alternative.
Going to work this morning it was pitch black, -10C and snowing. In October. There are seven months of this ahead. I thought of the First Nations that lived up here and, for the millionth time, wondered why on earth they decided that this was the perfect place to set up home.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 3:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well, no. I've prospered here. It seems to me now that a major reason for that is that, for most of my time here, I've had no interests in Canada. Like my colleagues and associates, I've been willing to work all the time because, for five months of the year, there's really nothing better to do. Television is hugely popular, of course, if you enjoy Survivor you'll likely want to go home and see that.

I don't think, btw, that curling, essentially lawn green bowling indoors, counts as "getting out".
Prospered as in "enjoyed living here", not prospered as in "made money".

Curling is suprisingly hard physical work, as you would know if you had ever tried it before knocking it.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 12th 2012 at 5:56 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 5:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
... maybe Canada has less germs....!!
It's all those hand sanitizers everywhere.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Rick Mercer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsMnsWvKEJs
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's pretty rare. People in Canada generally endure a miserable time for five months a year during their working lives and then, if they can afford it, spend the winters in America. Those who do find something enjoyable typically do it indoors, crochet, quilting and scrapbooking are very popular.
They attend the Slusherville Winterfest.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:04 am
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Never had a flu shot, never had flu (and neither have most people).
speak for yourself, I have had the flu when not had a shot.
I also commonly had it when I did have the shot at age 10.. Not sure how you can speak for 'most' people to be honest.
A good reason why you can get mild symptoms after having a shot is any innoculation gives you a bit of the virus or the bacteria (the dead cells) and that is how the body starts to build up it's immunity against it. I admit I did avoid having the flu shots commonly for years after I left school, because commonly at school when we were made to have it I did end up with flu for 3 days leading me to believe that alone was what gave me the flu.
However, I did still get the flu.

I have the flu shot nowadays and I don't get the flu, I hope it stays that way from now on.

It's a good idea to get the shot.. better to reduce the chances of getting full blown flu, or it going away sooner than if you hadn't had the shot

I prefer to get it for me and my little one with him being around children his age all day at preschool nowadays.

I quite enjoy giving out flu shots too, and during Nov and Dec I will be busy doing so

Last edited by wonderwoman1st; Oct 14th 2012 at 5:11 am. Reason: bit more
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by britsnake
I get the Flu shot every year.

When you get the shot, they list a whole lot of possible side effects, but I have not had any of them so far. I have had flu once in my life and never want to go through that again if I can avoid it.
Same here though I had it more than once.

My little man of age 3 had his first flu shot yesterday and I have to say he's run down for 24 hrs quite soon after, today speaking with a croaky voice and had a bit of a cough. Last night he burned up a bit, took, his temp and gave a dose of tylenol and removed his pyjama top, and he was aok again. I hope it's not me at age 10 again, when I commonly got the flu after the shot during my school years. More likely in the youngsters as they are still building up their immunity system.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Its the thought of that needle stuck in my arm that really puts me off
It doesn't hurt, it's a small needle not an intramuscular one.

Turning away also helps so you don't have to see it it, then you hardly feel it at all.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
The point is it may not be sufficient to kill you, but if you get flu, it may be sufficient to kill someone you pass it onto.

The more people that have the shot, the less any outbreak that that shot covers will spread and impact those that are at danger of serious consequences.

I consider it a civic duty, but then I wonder how effective the people developing the shot are at picking the active strains for any particular year.

I dont really see a downside, even if you get minor symptoms for a day or two, chances are you are going to be like that at some point over the winter anyway, and if it is a bonanza year for flu you are hopefully protected and helping to minimise the potential spread to others.

100% correct, could not have put that better myself. Iain is absolutely right on this one folks, I have to say. There should be more education out there on this, I see it easily as I'm a nurse, but I don't commonly see it around, something for me to work on I think (health education and health promotion).

Here's a good website to keep you all well informed:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index-eng.php
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Doncha think if the flu shot had that effect on everyone in a given year it would have made the news? Thats just weird. Ive had the shot for the last ten years or more, and nothing like that has ever happened to me or anyone else in the group here
Agreed, wise words yet again.

And even though I commonly did end up with the flu aged 10 it wasn't for 2 weeks, it would have likely been just 2 days had the nurses not been so harsh at my school and uniformly/ automatically kicked us out of the sanitorium after 3 days regardless, I'd end up back in there again the same night no thanks for them.. after suffering a long evening chapel service usually.. seemed to be the same time every year after getting my shot back then (our medical center at our boarding school was called a sanitorium) must have been worse jabs when I was 10 yrs old, or likely my immunity still building up.
Anyway, I don't get the flu nowadays for having had the shot, even if that bad experience at school did put me off having it for years.

Some occupations are compulsory for having it.. mine too, but I opt for it more now anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:47 am
Banned

So is getting a library card but I haven't bothered with that either. If people want to have it, good for them but, as you say, it's no big deal either way.
It is for those with a lowered immunity system, or for older adults who commonly die from it for not being immunized.
And as Iain mentioned, it also helps prevent it spreading to others when you have the flu shot even if you don't suffer from it yourself.

Last edited by wonderwoman1st; Oct 14th 2012 at 5:50 am.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I suspect the efficacy of the flu shot in preventing deaths by limiting the spread to vulnerable members of society is similar to the efficacy of full-body scanners at airports preventing deaths to air travellers... statistically miniscule but tremendously profitable for the manufacturers.
Never paid for one.
It's free here with your health card via your doctor too. Just avoid having it done via pharmacists elsewhere, they do charge, it's not really their role anyway to give flu shots it's the nurses role, but has become their role in Canada now at least, my doctors technique wasn't exactly brilliant either, he held it with one hand and just inserted it, not how us nurses are trained to give an injection at all.. and he gave it intramuscularly on my arm when it's meant to be subcutaneously.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:58 am
Banned

Steady on, it's flu we're talking about here, not TB. How many people in Guelph died of the flu last winter?
steady on? steady on yourself, he's right on what he's saying on all this, listen up and learn I say..
Old Oct 14th 2012, 6:01 am
Banned

And what is my chance of having met a random member of the public and shared my germs with him or her?
Do you have any idea how germs spread? It's not just through physical touch you know..
Old Oct 14th 2012, 6:04 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Flu shot my arse. I thought Canadian's were a hardy outdoor bunch?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.