Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who gets the flu shot?

Who gets the flu shot?

Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who gets the flu shot?

Originally Posted by Souvy
Unless you are sufficiently frail that flu could kill you, I'd say don't do it. About 15 years ago we were pressured by management into having it. Within days, dozens of us were ill, with the same symptoms. It wasn't flu because I know what flu feels like but it's a bit of a coincidence that so many of us got ill so quickly after getting the jab.
The point is it may not be sufficient to kill you, but if you get flu, it may be sufficient to kill someone you pass it onto.

The more people that have the shot, the less any outbreak that that shot covers will spread and impact those that are at danger of serious consequences.

I consider it a civic duty, but then I wonder how effective the people developing the shot are at picking the active strains for any particular year.

I dont really see a downside, even if you get minor symptoms for a day or two, chances are you are going to be like that at some point over the winter anyway, and if it is a bonanza year for flu you are hopefully protected and helping to minimise the potential spread to others.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 11th 2012 at 2:19 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Hopefully she doesn't drive the kind of kids that abused the grandma on the school bus in the US?
They would be walking to school or relying on mum and dad for a ride PDQ
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:25 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The point is it may not be sufficient to kill you, but if you get flu, it may be sufficient to kill someone you pass it onto.

The more people that have the shot, the less any outbreak that that shot covers will spread and impact those that are at danger of serious consequences.

I consider it a civic duty, but then I wonder how effective the people developing the shot are at picking the active strains for any particular year.

I dont really see a downside, even if you get minor symptoms for a day or two, chances are you are going to be like that at some point over the winter anyway, and if it is a bonanza year for flu you are hopefully protected and helping to minimise the potential spread to others.
Minor symptoms? I was sick for weeks, as were many others. Compare that to the few days of symptoms when I've had the flu. Stuff civic duty.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We have it every year. My wife has a dodgy immune system made even worse with a treatment she gets.

It's recommended we have it for that reason but I'd want one anyway even if there wasn't a double recommendation for having diabetes.

I remember having "proper" flu once and that told me what I thought was flu previously was just a heavy cold. I don't want that again and certainly not when it could be even worse next time.

What if you get flu and can't clear snow?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Minor symptoms? I was sick for weeks, as were many others. Compare that to the few days of symptoms when I've had the flu. Stuff civic duty.
Doncha think if the flu shot had that effect on everyone in a given year it would have made the news? Thats just weird. Ive had the shot for the last ten years or more, and nothing like that has ever happened to me or anyone else in the group here
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:32 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I dont remember that last time I had "proper flu", I might even have been a child still
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Never had one.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I get the flu shot. Flu season I get coughed and spluttered on by the clientele so I think it's sensible. Also if there's an outbreak and I haven't had the flu shot I'm not allowed to go to work so $$$ speaks.

I have had real flu once and never want it again so that's my main reason to have it. I've never had any reaction /adverse effects to the flu jab. It's free and it's no big deal so why not?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It's free and it's no big deal so why not?
So is getting a library card but I haven't bothered with that either. If people want to have it, good for them but, as you say, it's no big deal either way.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
So is getting a library card but I haven't bothered with that either. If people want to have it, good for them but, as you say, it's no big deal either way.
Widespread library card ownership is not, as far as Im aware, an effective public health measure to prevent the spread of a potentially lethal disease to the more vulnerable members of society.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:55 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Never had one , never needed one and don't believe in getting one.

Most people think they are on death's door and all they have is a cold.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are sufficiently frail that flu could kill you, I'd say don't do it. About 15 years ago we were pressured by management into having it. Within days, dozens of us were ill, with the same symptoms. It wasn't flu because I know what flu feels like but it's a bit of a coincidence that so many of us got ill so quickly after getting the jab.
Agreed. I dodged the jab for years and hardly ever got sick. Then I started a job where I was handling money and dealing with the public all day and I was always picking up some bug or other. I think you have to consider your own overall state of health as Souvy said and the environment you work in.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Widespread library card ownership is not, as far as Im aware, an effective public health measure to prevent the spread of a potentially lethal disease to the more vulnerable members of society.
I suspect the efficacy of the flu shot in preventing deaths by limiting the spread to vulnerable members of society is similar to the efficacy of full-body scanners at airports preventing deaths to air travellers... statistically miniscule but tremendously profitable for the manufacturers.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's no health risk associated with not having a library card.

(A plague of books will probably come rumbling down the road now)

No doubt I would have a different opinion if I hadn't had flu previously, and if I didn't work with people who did have it.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I suspect the efficacy of the flu shot in preventing deaths by limiting the spread to vulnerable members of society is similar to the efficacy of full-body scanners at airports preventing deaths to air travellers... statistically miniscule but tremendously profitable for the manufacturers.
Given the rather dismal take up level demonstrated in this thread you may be right. But Im still going to get one as I still dont see a down side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.