British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Who gets the flu shot? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/who-gets-flu-shot-774347/)

Howefamily Oct 11th 2012 1:50 pm

Who gets the flu shot?

The nurse is coming into work next week to give the flu shot. I personally am not keen. I never had one before.
Does anyone here have any view on this please?

iaink Oct 11th 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Who gets the flu shot?

I always get one, and havent had proper flu for years. I dont see why anyone would avoid it to be honest.

Jingsamichty Oct 11th 2012 1:56 pm

Never had a flu shot, never had flu (and neither have most people).

dbd33 Oct 11th 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10325642)
Never had a flu shot, never had flu (and neither have most people).

+1

iaink Oct 11th 2012 1:58 pm

My elephant shots are also 100% effective, I've never yet been trampled to death either...

britsnake Oct 11th 2012 2:01 pm

I get the Flu shot every year.

When you get the shot, they list a whole lot of possible side effects, bu I have not had any of them so far. I have had flu once in my life and never want to go through that again if I can avoid it.

ultrarunner Oct 11th 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10325628)
The nurse is coming into work next week to give the flu shot. I personally am not keen. I never had one before.

It's not mandatory to get it. There are loads of people in my field that opt out of it

Howefamily Oct 11th 2012 2:03 pm

Its the thought of that needle stuck in my arm that really puts me off

iaink Oct 11th 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10325660)
Its the thought of that needle stuck in my arm that really puts me off

Its not that bad, its not like its a horse needle!

Just one more little prick among all the others at work;)

Piff Poff Oct 11th 2012 2:05 pm

I got it a couple of times, when it was available to me at work, haven't bothered for the past 5 years. I find that I don't get colds here:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrosse d:like a used to in the UK, even though now I work in a mall with people sneezing and coughing over me.

People stay home if your sick, keep it to yourselves!

iaink Oct 11th 2012 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 10325664)
People stay home if your sick, keep it to yourselves!

My wifes a school bus driver now, so fat chance of avoiding anything:thumbdown:

cheeky_monkey Oct 11th 2012 2:06 pm

i was offered it at work the same..but turned it down..yes i have had the flu but id rather take my chances than pumping stuff into my body to save a week of work once every 15-20 years

Souvy Oct 11th 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10325628)

Unless you are sufficiently frail that flu could kill you, I'd say don't do it. About 15 years ago we were pressured by management into having it. Within days, dozens of us were ill, with the same symptoms. It wasn't flu because I know what flu feels like but it's a bit of a coincidence that so many of us got ill so quickly after getting the jab.

Howefamily Oct 11th 2012 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325663)
Its not that bad, its not like its a horse needle!

Just one more little prick among all the others at work;)

:rofl:

I still dont fancy it though, I may in fact cry

ultrarunner Oct 11th 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325666)
My wifes a school bus driver now, so fat chance of avoiding anything:thumbdown:

Hopefully she doesn't drive the kind of kids that abused the grandma on the school bus in the US?

iaink Oct 11th 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10325671)
Unless you are sufficiently frail that flu could kill you, I'd say don't do it. About 15 years ago we were pressured by management into having it. Within days, dozens of us were ill, with the same symptoms. It wasn't flu because I know what flu feels like but it's a bit of a coincidence that so many of us got ill so quickly after getting the jab.

The point is it may not be sufficient to kill you, but if you get flu, it may be sufficient to kill someone you pass it onto.

The more people that have the shot, the less any outbreak that that shot covers will spread and impact those that are at danger of serious consequences.

I consider it a civic duty, but then I wonder how effective the people developing the shot are at picking the active strains for any particular year.

I dont really see a downside, even if you get minor symptoms for a day or two, chances are you are going to be like that at some point over the winter anyway, and if it is a bonanza year for flu you are hopefully protected and helping to minimise the potential spread to others.

iaink Oct 11th 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10325680)
Hopefully she doesn't drive the kind of kids that abused the grandma on the school bus in the US?

They would be walking to school or relying on mum and dad for a ride PDQ;)

Souvy Oct 11th 2012 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325685)
The point is it may not be sufficient to kill you, but if you get flu, it may be sufficient to kill someone you pass it onto.

The more people that have the shot, the less any outbreak that that shot covers will spread and impact those that are at danger of serious consequences.

I consider it a civic duty, but then I wonder how effective the people developing the shot are at picking the active strains for any particular year.

I dont really see a downside, even if you get minor symptoms for a day or two, chances are you are going to be like that at some point over the winter anyway, and if it is a bonanza year for flu you are hopefully protected and helping to minimise the potential spread to others.

Minor symptoms? I was sick for weeks, as were many others. Compare that to the few days of symptoms when I've had the flu. Stuff civic duty.

BristolUK Oct 11th 2012 2:27 pm

We have it every year. My wife has a dodgy immune system made even worse with a treatment she gets.

It's recommended we have it for that reason but I'd want one anyway even if there wasn't a double recommendation for having diabetes.

I remember having "proper" flu once and that told me what I thought was flu previously was just a heavy cold. I don't want that again and certainly not when it could be even worse next time.

What if you get flu and can't clear snow?;)

iaink Oct 11th 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10325713)
Minor symptoms? I was sick for weeks, as were many others. Compare that to the few days of symptoms when I've had the flu. Stuff civic duty.

Doncha think if the flu shot had that effect on everyone in a given year it would have made the news? Thats just weird. Ive had the shot for the last ten years or more, and nothing like that has ever happened to me or anyone else in the group here:confused:

Howefamily Oct 11th 2012 2:32 pm

I dont remember that last time I had "proper flu", I might even have been a child still

Tangram Oct 11th 2012 2:34 pm

Never had one.

bats Oct 11th 2012 2:42 pm

I get the flu shot. Flu season I get coughed and spluttered on by the clientele so I think it's sensible. Also if there's an outbreak and I haven't had the flu shot I'm not allowed to go to work so $$$ speaks.

I have had real flu once and never want it again so that's my main reason to have it. I've never had any reaction /adverse effects to the flu jab. It's free and it's no big deal so why not?

dbd33 Oct 11th 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10325757)
It's free and it's no big deal so why not?

So is getting a library card but I haven't bothered with that either. If people want to have it, good for them but, as you say, it's no big deal either way.

iaink Oct 11th 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10325762)
So is getting a library card but I haven't bothered with that either. If people want to have it, good for them but, as you say, it's no big deal either way.

Widespread library card ownership is not, as far as Im aware, an effective public health measure to prevent the spread of a potentially lethal disease to the more vulnerable members of society.

Hawk13 Oct 11th 2012 2:55 pm

Never had one , never needed one and don't believe in getting one.

Most people think they are on death's door and all they have is a cold.

curleytops Oct 11th 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10325671)

Agreed. I dodged the jab for years and hardly ever got sick. Then I started a job where I was handling money and dealing with the public all day and I was always picking up some bug or other. I think you have to consider your own overall state of health as Souvy said and the environment you work in.

Jingsamichty Oct 11th 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325768)
Widespread library card ownership is not, as far as Im aware, an effective public health measure to prevent the spread of a potentially lethal disease to the more vulnerable members of society.

I suspect the efficacy of the flu shot in preventing deaths by limiting the spread to vulnerable members of society is similar to the efficacy of full-body scanners at airports preventing deaths to air travellers... statistically miniscule but tremendously profitable for the manufacturers.

bats Oct 11th 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10325762)

There's no health risk associated with not having a library card.

(A plague of books will probably come rumbling down the road now)

No doubt I would have a different opinion if I hadn't had flu previously, and if I didn't work with people who did have it.

iaink Oct 11th 2012 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10325791)
I suspect the efficacy of the flu shot in preventing deaths by limiting the spread to vulnerable members of society is similar to the efficacy of full-body scanners at airports preventing deaths to air travellers... statistically miniscule but tremendously profitable for the manufacturers.

Given the rather dismal take up level demonstrated in this thread you may be right. But Im still going to get one as I still dont see a down side.

Hawk13 Oct 11th 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325812)
Given the rather dismal take up level demonstrated in this thread you may be right. But Im still going to get one as I still dont see a down side.

Interesting philosophy. For me, I think we get more than enough chemicals into our system through the food and water chains without conciously putting something into my body that I don't need. That to me is enough of a downside.

ultrarunner Oct 11th 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325812)

It's not so often you see the Govt offering anything for free. They can easily have put a $ charge on it, but they opted not to

Good news (to the general public) on Tues though from the Ont Govt, Pharmacists will now be able to write repeat prescriptions as well as dispense the drugs.

Hawk13....how do you know your body doesn't need it? Unless you are a physician and can self-diagnose, then I don't know how you can conclude at that

iaink Oct 11th 2012 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13 (Post 10325821)
Interesting philosophy. For me, I think we get more than enough chemicals into our system through the food and water chains without conciously putting something into my body that I don't need. That to me is enough of a downside.

You mean like all the floride in the water and the vitamins and minerals they add to our food supply because science has proven time and again that, on balance, they make us more healthy:sneaky:

Ive no problem with chemically supplementing what my body is capable of naturally , cold meds, alcohol, caffeine, its all good with me in moderation, so if scientists have developed a shot that might save me suffering the flu and it has little in the way of side effect, then sign me up, especially if it may help stop it spreading to the old or the very young who might really suffer the consequences of exposure to the virus.:thumbup:

dbd33 Oct 11th 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325768)
an effective public health measure to prevent the spread of a potentially lethal disease to the more vulnerable members of society.

Steady on, it's flu we're talking about here, not TB. How many people in Guelph died of the flu last winter?

iaink Oct 11th 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10325932)
Steady on, it's flu we're talking about here, not TB. How many people in Guelph died of the flu last winter?

Statistically probably between 2 and 4. Death rates in Canada from influenza are typically 500-1500 in an average year. In a pandemic year, who knows.

20 to 50 Million died in the worst pandemic (1918), thats 3% of the global population at the time, far more than the carnage of WW1 accounted for!

1958 and 1968 were not as bad, it was only about a million each time, and generally it was the elderly.

Steve_ Oct 11th 2012 4:57 pm

I get it, but I think it's pretty much worthless.

I often hear these stories from people that it helps protect against x or makes "flu" (i.e. the common cold) not as bad. Bollocks, I've had really bad colds during the winter and I've been having the flu shot for 20 years.

When you actually read the bottle a lot of the strains it protects against are often really obscure, I've seen New Caledonia and PNG mentioned more than once. Yes of course someone can get on a plane and spread it, blah, blah, blah but when I checked the specific strain one year for exposure rates it had never actually been reported outside of Asia and Oceania.

Personally I think it's all a con so that drug companies can make money, I have a cousin who works at a high level in a major pharmaceutical company and she tells me that the real benefit of it is that it keeps them making the vaccines, which is a tricky operation, so if there is a pandemic they can then ramp up production more quickly.

Which is what happened with H1N1, imo.

dbd33 Oct 11th 2012 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10325966)
Statistically probably between 2 and 4.

And what is my chance of having met a random member of the public and shared my germs with him or her?

iaink Oct 11th 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10326016)
And what is my chance of having met a random member of the public and shared my germs with him or her?

You are probably sharing random germs with random members of the public all the time, but as far a flu goes in a pandemic year something like 1 in 4 show symptoms and more will be carriers.

caretaker Oct 11th 2012 6:02 pm

I got one.

Cookie Oct 11th 2012 6:11 pm

I only started getting the flu shot when I moved to Nova Scotia almost 6 years ago. I have had flu twice in my lifetime and it's nasty. I get no side effects from the flu shot.

Once the weather gets cooler and I start to cover up, I take a daily Vitamin D pill (the sunshine vitamin) and coast right through the winter without even a cold and feelings of S.A.D. Even though we get lots of blue skies and sunshine you just can't expose yourself to -20C so it's fairly common to take it here in NS. It's a shame it's not promoted more in the UK. The dark, grey weather can really drag you down and make you miserable and lethargic.

Both my teenage sons refused the shots during H1N1 and both got flu. My Older son was at Uni in Newfoundland where the student residence blocks had a lockdown. My younger son collapsed at home in front of me :(