Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Where were you when JFK was shot...

Where were you when JFK was shot...

Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where were you when JFK was shot...

I was in a Year 10 History class when I saw it. Of course, this was about 38 years after the fact.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not yet born. My parents don't recall it either, they were only 4 and 5 at the time.
Also in this camp...my parents would have been 4 and 8

i think the first major "celebrity" death I can remember where i was, would be Diana...
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:53 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Lovely imagery.
Apparently...love has no boundary

I made my way down to Buckingham palace that morning, and saw the body brought in, and carried past me (still have the pictures I took). I was interviewed by a TV station, and was on Telly that evening
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum who would have been 14, had not met my Dad, who would have been 34, he would've been married to his 1st wife with two kids, I don't think I was even a twinkle
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:21 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Songs with JFK's death in them

1. "Conspiracy Theory" - Steve Earle (2002)
Key Lyric: "What if you could've been there on that day in Dallas? / What if you could wrestle back the hands of time?"
2. "He Was a Friend of Mine" - The Byrds (1965)
Key Lyric: "He was in Dallas town / From a sixth floor window a gunner shot him down / He died in Dallas town / He never knew my name, he never knew my name / Though I never met him I knew him just the same / Oh, he was a friend of mine / Leader of a nation for such a precious time"
3. "Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones (1968)
Key Lyric: "I shouted out, 'Who killed the Kennedys?' / When after all / it was you and me"
4. "Civil War" - Guns N' Roses (1990)
Key Lyric: "And in my first memories / they shot Kennedy / I went numb when I learned to see"
5. "Public Enemy #1" - Eminem (2006)
Key Lyric: "Like that day John F. Kennedy was assassinated in broad day / by the greatest lunatic with a gun / Who just happened to work on the same block in the library book depository / Where the President would go for a little Friday stroll / Shots fired from the grassy knoll"
6. "Born in the 50's" - The Police (1978)
Key Lyric: "My mother cried / When President Kennedy died / She said 'It was the communists' / But I knew better"
7. "Life in a Northern Town" - Dream Academy (1985)
Key Lyric: "In winter 1963 / It felt like the world would freeze / With John F. Kennedy and The Beatles"
8. "Brain of J" - Pearl Jam (1998)
Key Lyric: "Who's got the brain of JFK? / What's it mean to us now?"
9. "Sleeping In" - The Postal Service (2003)
Key Lyric: "Last week I had the strangest dream / Where everything was exactly how it seemed / Where there was never any mystery of who shot John F. Kennedy / It was just a man with something to prove / Slightly bored and severely confused / He steadied his rifle with his target in the center / And became famous on that day in November"
10. "The Day John Kennedy Died" - Lou Reed (1982)
Key Lyric: "Oh, the day John Kennedy died / I remember where I was that day, I was upstate in a bar / The team from the university was playing football on tv / Then the screen want dead and the announcer said, 'there's been a tragedy / There are unconfirmed reports the president's been shot / And he may be dead or dying.'"
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:43 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Not born
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Same place I was when Julius Caesar was assassinated.

I must admit, I've never really understood the Kennedy worship. If he hadn't been assassinated, he'd probably just be another failed President, blamed for the Vietnam War.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 6:37 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I must admit, I've never really understood the Kennedy worship. If he hadn't been assassinated, he'd probably just be another failed President, blamed for the Vietnam War.
If he hadn't issued the order to begin withdrawing American advisors from Vietnam, (the first 1,000 by end of 1963 - reversed by LBJ 2 weeks after his death), he may not have been shot. He'd ordered training of South Vietnamese troops to be speeded up and hoped all American forces could be withdrawn by 1965, pending his re-election. Whether this action would have been dependant on initial US military success will never be known, but he'd shown his willingness to make unpopular decisions

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 23rd 2013 at 6:40 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
If he hadn't issued the order to begin withdrawing American advisors from Vietnam, (the first 1,000 by end of 1963 - reversed by LBJ 2 weeks after his death), he may not have been shot. He'd ordered training of South Vietnamese troops to be speeded up and hoped all American forces could be withdrawn by 1965, pending his re-election. Whether this action would have been dependant on initial US military success will never be known, but he'd shown his willingness to make unpopular decisions
yet another needless stupid war

the yanks wanted, at all costs, to keep the commies at bay

that didn't work

Saigon fell and the commies took over

and guess what?: in time they've turned out to become a bunch of capitalists after all
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
yet another needless stupid war

the yanks wanted, at all costs, to keep the commies at bay

that didn't work

Saigon fell and the commies took over

and guess what?: in time they've turned out to become a bunch of capitalists after all
Yes, it does seem to have been in vain. One of the problems of having God on your side I suppose.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 1:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Same place I was when Julius Caesar was assassinated.

I think it was the promise of what might have been. He was seen as a good man with a loving wife and family, all smiles and good looks with a soul to match. History eh?

I remember where i was when RFK was shot. We were at school with access to a radio for updates which allowed us to be as be important and tearful as teenage girls could be.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:54 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I think it was the promise of what might have been. He was seen as a good man with a loving wife and family, all smiles and good looks with a soul to match. History eh?

I remember where i was when RFK was shot. We were at school with access to a radio for updates which allowed us to be as be important and tearful as teenage girls could be.
I read a headline this week. "JFK, Martyr or Satyr?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I read a headline this week. "JFK, Martyr or Satyr?
Catchy. He was a bit wayward by most accounts.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You are probably right as he was not around long enough to have done much, good or bad

only later did we learn of his fondness for the weaker sex
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
You are probably right as he was not around long enough to have done much, good or bad

only later did we learn of his fondness for the weaker sex
...the fairer sex, maybe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.