Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Where were you when JFK was shot...

Where were you when JFK was shot...

Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where were you when JFK was shot...

On the grassy knoll?

I was at home at my parents' house in a village near Newcastle, which village is now gobbled up by the City itself. I was 13 at the time and, inexplicably, given all that follows, was a bit upset.

Thankfully, the next day, I was in the same place and watched the very first episode of Dr. Who on the very same TV.

Everything was all clear after that.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 22nd 2013 at 2:08 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:09 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where were you when JFK was shot...

Not yet born.

And you were 13? Really? I've put you in your early 20's at least....
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not yet born.
Perhaps a better place to be.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:12 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
On the grassy knoll?

I was at home at my parents' house in a village near Newcastle, which village is now gobbled up by the City itself. I was 13 at the time and, inexplicably, given all that follows, was a bit upset.

Thankfully, the next day, I was in the same place and watched the very first episode of Dr. Who on the very same TV.

Everything was all clear after that.
I knew Dr Who was involved! I was at home watching tv. The news came on and said about the shooting and as it seemed important I told Mum who burst into tears. I went back to the tv, my memory tells me i watched Dr Who but this is obviously a false memory implanted by communists.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:17 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I knew Dr Who was involved! I was at home watching tv. The news came on and said about the shooting and as it seemed important I told Mum who burst into tears. I went back to the tv, my memory tells me i watched Dr Who but this is obviously a false memory implanted by communists.
Search out the dramatisation of the early years of Dr Who that played on BBC1 yesterday...."An Adventure in Space and Time". David Bradley does an excellent job as William Hartnell & I think you'd enjoy it. It's on BBC Iplayer currently if you have Unblock US or somesuch service.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

that was an eventful week

I was 20 at the time and heard the news at work

I had no tv in those days, didn't really need one, so i walked up parc avenue close to my lodgings, and that evening some stores had thoughtfully placed TV's in their front windows.

So we could see but not hear the events of the day

I remember seeing walter cronkite

Yes i was shocked and upset but it paled in comparison to the cuban missile crisis where i thought the world was going to come to an end

A week later, also a friday, there was another tragedy: a plane went down just north of montreal, 129 perished

Last edited by montreal mike; Nov 22nd 2013 at 2:32 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Yes, I think the week after I was engaged in a School Debate on the subject of "Better Dead than Red?"

I forget now which side I was on.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:35 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Being a mere nipper I was only five and, although I remember it being on the news, I can't remember where I was when I first heard.

I can remember the first episode of Dr. Who. I watched most of it from behind safety of the settee.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:37 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Yes i was shocked and upset but it paled in comparison to the cuban missile crisis where i thought the world was going to come to an end

"Paled in comparison" suggests a later event which overshadowed the title event.

Even at your advanced age, I'm sure you recall it didn't.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:38 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Being a mere nipper I was only five and, although I remember it being on the news, I can't remember where I was when I first heard.

I can remember the first episode of Dr. Who. I watched most of it from behind safety of the settee.
Ah, diddums.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Search out the dramatisation of the early years of Dr Who that played on BBC1 yesterday...."An Adventure in Space and Time". David Bradley does an excellent job as William Hartnell & I think you'd enjoy it. It's on BBC Iplayer currently if you have Unblock US or somesuch service.
I noticed that today. Will probably wasch it tomorrow
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
"Paled in comparison" suggests a later event which overshadowed the title event.

Even at your advanced age, I'm sure you recall it didn't.
the drama with nikita and fidel was a year earlier and was before JKF was shot

I have no idea why you would think it was a later event

It was not
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched it. Brilliant!

And back to Novo's original question JFK was shot 13 years prior to my birth.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:50 am
Born again atheist

I noticed that today. Will probably wasch it tomorrow
Wasch? But talking of Spectacles, it wasn't very many years after the JFK thingy that I came across the Dutch radicals who referred to themselves as "Spectacularists".

I don't think that, in the intervening years, I've found fault with their analysis.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:52 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Just watched it. Brilliant!

And back to Novo's original question JFK was shot 13 years prior to my birth.
You've discovered my hidden agenda.

This is a stealth thread designed to discover every posters age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.