Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

when your accent becomes a figure of speech

when your accent becomes a figure of speech

Old Nov 23rd 2022, 3:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when your accent becomes a figure of speech

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I try not to be an old duffer who moans about evolving language - of course language evolves, otherwise we'd still all be saying prithee and verily and spiffing and spazzo. But I have certainly raised an internal eyebrow at the speed of the almost univeral adoption of "Can I get...?" instead of "May I have...?"
The problem with being an old duffer, and I speak from experience, is that that's very difficult to know when one's expressions are démodé.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
"Open the light"
I was told years ago by an older man from Hong Kong that that originates from non-native english speakers in Canada. In Cantonese turn on the light and open the blinds use the same verb. I haven't checked to see if that's true though.
Old Nov 30th 2022, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The problem with being an old duffer, and I speak from experience, is that that's very difficult to know when one's expressions are démodé.
Nice one, Shard!

Sometimes, one gets it wrong. On a commuter train in Australia a few years ago, I overheard a young brownskin woman advising some man to get off at the next station and ask the stationmaster for directions to (wherever). Except she didn't say "ask", but "aks". Now that's a very Caribbean variant, and I asked (aksed!) her was she from there, and which island. No she wasn't, she said; she was Fijian. But her boyfriend (not present) was from Grenada! She actually was not aware that she had picked up the word from him, until I mentioned it. So... Not her accent, but her specific variant - was in full accordance with the spirit of this thread, I think.
Old Nov 30th 2022, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I was told years ago by an older man from Hong Kong that that originates from non-native english speakers in Canada. In Cantonese turn on the light and open the blinds use the same verb. I haven't checked to see if that's true though.
It's French. Ouvre la lumiere is "turn on the light" in French, but it literally translates to open the light. My anglophone ex from Montreal used to say it all the time. I have never heard it said in English in Canada outside of Quebec.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard Jamaicans order "Out de light", when they want it to be switched off.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I can't understand Canadians use of the word "borrowed" instead of using "lent" as in. I borrowed him my car.
As a youngster in England i also could not understand why northerners put "happen" at the start of sentences.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 9:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I have heard Jamaicans order "Out de light", when they want it to be switched off.
my dad, a Geordie said @shut the light@
Old Dec 1st 2022, 9:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I can't understand Canadians use of the word "borrowed" instead of using "lent" as in. I borrowed him my car.
My husband does that. He's from Wolverhampton UK
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 12:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My accent has softened but is still clearly Australian. I know that because it's the usual guess. I fear that my phrasing is archaic now, It may be that people in England no longer say teefed or butcher''s or brassic but I still do.
I don't think my accent has changed much since I jumped the pond 21 years ago, though my daily vocabulary has changed, but now the post-pandemic dust has settled, I am back to getting asked about my accent around once a week.

At this point I would be surprised if my accent did change as it seems to have frozen when I left (the posh, leafy suburbs of) Sheffield, (coincidentally about half a mile from where I think Jersey Girl was living at the time) when I was eight years old.

Living in Glaw-ster until I finished school didn't leave any impression on my accent, nor did uni and work in Landan. So here I am in NC, mostly sounding like I stepped off the plane yesterday.

Although I consciously adopted a lot of local vocabulary here in NC, and certain specific pronunciations - gah-raj, ledduce, and to-may-to (please don't judge me! ) among others, though not 'erbs!, there are still certain British words and phrases that I like to use. And recently, having, according to her, never used the word within her earshot in 22 years of marriage, and after first thinking I had said "wedge", Mrs P accused me of "making up" the word "wodge"! Luckily Google came to the rescue.
..... On a commuter train in Australia a few years ago, I overheard a young brownskin woman advising some man to get off at the next station and ask the stationmaster for directions to (wherever). Except she didn't say "ask", but "aks". Now that's a very Caribbean variant, .....
Except it's a common pronunciation in the US, mostly, though not exclusively, in the black population, and I think more in the older generation, so it's use may be declining.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 2nd 2022 at 12:54 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

When I first left Australia - in 1963, aged 23 - I had such a strong accent (Queensland) that I had trouble being understood by Brits. But it was only once I hit the European mainland that I had to make a serious effort to sort out my vowel-sounds. ("val sans" at that point.) And of course I had to drop the Australian idiom, pretty much fully. But every once in a while I come across a new phrase that appeals to me, and I adopt it readily. The latest one is the endearing custom of saying "yeah... nah". "Yes I understand what you said, but no I don't want to, or don't agree." "Do you want another drink?" "Do you think this batsman will make a century today?" "Yeah... nah."
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 1:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
On the same theme, I dislike "impact" when "affect" is likely to be suitable, .....
Or failing that, "effect" (depending on whether you're using "impact" as a verb or a noun) which I am sure to the surprise of many, is an entirely different word.
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 5:01 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

When I first left Australia - in 1963, aged 23 - I had such a strong accent (Queensland) that I had trouble being understood by Brits. But it was only once I hit the European mainland that I had to make a serious effort to sort out my vowel-sounds. ("val sans" at that point.) And of course I had to drop the Australian idiom, pretty much fully. But every once in a while I come across a new phrase that appeals to me, and I adopt it readily. The latest one is the endearing custom of saying "yeah... nah". "Yes I understand what you said, but no I don't want to, or don't agree." "Do you want another drink?" "Do you think this batsman will make a century today?" "Yeah... nah."
I hadn't heard that but it makes sense, rather like nodding your head and then shaking it.
Regarding yeah, here in the Vancouver area of BC the word for yes seems to be "yah". I hadn't noticed it in Ontario so perhaps it's a west coast thing.
Old Dec 2nd 2022, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in Bristol, at knocking off time (when everyone finished work at 5pm), a friend of mine would shout 'douse all glims!', think it's olde english for blow out the candles. We were in a drawing office where the drawing boards had individual lights clamped on, those were the days ☺.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 1:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What are some of the current Austalianisms (old and new) still in use ? Have any fallen out of favour over the decades ?

Old Dec 21st 2022, 5:04 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Well sh*t, I go away for two and half years and the first thread I look at it's like I've never been away.
Looks like about half the contributors are the same old reprobates that were here when I left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.