Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

when your accent becomes a figure of speech

when your accent becomes a figure of speech

Old Nov 19th 2022, 7:25 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when your accent becomes a figure of speech

My accent is very British sounding but I also feel and identify with my American side but that seems to get ignored or not even considered when I talk to people. It's very disconcerting and it makes me feel a little sad as it's like more than half of your personality gets dismissed.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 6:57 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Had to modify my N.Irish accent so that when I say things like "there" and "where" they sound more standard as opposed to the native "thur" and "wurr" pronunciation but that's about it. I've long learned to say tomato in north americanese.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

YouTube has some clever and funny Michael McIntyre videos on accents. Well worth a look.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 4:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow

In my long life I have come across Americans masquerading as Canadians, usually when the US is bombing the whatsit out of some Third World country, and I have a quick way of calling them out: I ask them to say "out and about". They usually forget to say "oat and aboat".

It's weird that that's such a tell for the Canadian accent. How does it get retained, I wonder. I could understand if it were limited to the Maratimes, but it seems to be countrywide.

The speech pattern which kind of grates on me is "...or no" rather than "...or not". I'd noticed it maybe 20 years ago in North America, but it seems to be creeping into British speech as well.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 4:33 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My accent is very British sounding but I also feel and identify with my American side but that seems to get ignored or not even considered when I talk to people. It's very disconcerting and it makes me feel a little sad as it's like more than half of your personality gets dismissed.
That's a good illustration of the emphasis that seems to be placed on the letter "R" which to me, can make the BC accent very hard to understand - especially when filtered by a mask. It's nearly as bad as my satnav (sorry, GPS) which has some very amusing attempts at pronouncing anything with an R in the word, boulevard being an example.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's weird that that's such a tell for the Canadian accent. How does it get retained, I wonder. I could understand if it were limited to the Maritimes, but it seems to be countrywide.
That was for Canadians' "oat and aboat". It's useful for other nationalities as well. There's "oot and aboot" for Scots; I don't think it spreads very far into northern England. Australians say "at and abat", with the short-a sound sometimes stretched into almost two syllables. If I were ever to hear someone say "et and abet" I'd guess they were Seth Efrican. Any others?
Old Nov 21st 2022, 9:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
That's a good illustration of the emphasis that seems to be placed on the letter "R" which to me, can make the BC accent very hard to understand - especially when filtered by a mask. It's nearly as bad as my satnav (sorry, GPS) which has some very amusing attempts at pronouncing anything with an R in the word, boulevard being an example.
One of my ex-wives has a French GPS. When the driver makes a mistake it doesn't say "please return to the highlighted rout" (sic) as the American ones do. It says Oo-la-la!
Old Nov 21st 2022, 9:58 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

My accent is of the 'Fens", having spent my school years in Ely.

24 years in Canada (immigrated at age 42) and my accent and use of words is pretty much the same, which due to the Fen accent has people thinking I may be from Australia.

Old Nov 22nd 2022, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

It's weird that that's such a tell for the Canadian accent. How does it get retained, I wonder. I could understand if it were limited to the Maratimes, but it seems to be countrywide.

The speech pattern which kind of grates on me is "...or no" rather than "...or not". I'd noticed it maybe 20 years ago in North America, but it seems to be creeping into British speech as well.
It irritates me when people use 'cloudiness' instead of plain old cloudy and something used to be a problem but now it could be problematic. Then of course we hear ' bring' instead of 'take', arrggghhhh, maybe I should head back to blighty!
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 4:28 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
It irritates me when people use 'cloudiness' instead of plain old cloudy and something used to be a problem but now it could be problematic. Then of course we hear ' bring' instead of 'take', arrggghhhh, maybe I should head back to blighty!
On the same theme, I dislike "impact" when "affect" is likely to be suitable, save impact to imply something forceful. Like many things now, it is becoming commonplace to use a word that implies greater impact! Great instead of good, perfect when it isn't, awesome when it's just average etc. It's all rather challenging.
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 4:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

"Open the light"
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Then of course we hear ' bring' instead of 'take', arrggghhhh, maybe I should head back to blighty!
I've only ever heard that usage in the Irish joke about the vanload of monkeys. (Which you can check on YouTube. Very funny.)
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 6:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Irregardless, language does evolve, no !
Old Nov 22nd 2022, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irregardless, language does evolve, no !
Yes indeed! Well said. https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/v...ifference.html
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 7:59 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I try not to be an old duffer who moans about evolving language - of course language evolves, otherwise we'd still all be saying prithee and verily and spiffing and spazzo. But I have certainly raised an internal eyebrow at the speed of the almost univeral adoption of "Can I get...?" instead of "May I have...?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.