Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When and Why do you BE?

When and Why do you BE?

Old Dec 27th 2013, 12:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default When and Why do you BE?

I started on what has, seemed to become, a regular habit a few years back, when we decided that Canada might be best for us as a family. At that time, I only ever touched the Immigration site, and only if I had a specific question. A bit later, I became braver and came onto the Canada Section, but it took a bit of nerve...eventually I ventured onto the Maple Leaf site, but thought everyone might be horrid...but they weren't (generally...a few times a touch loaded and arch, but nothing nasty..) but really everyone was really good. I've also gone up and down a few times emotionally myself, so my post's haven't always been stellar, fair or even pleasant...sometimes I've just felt that I needed to feel I hadn't died!

After a while, I got to know a few of the names and a few of their quirks, and it became much better.

Now, I feel a lack of continuum if I can't catch up with BE...I tend to tune in, very early am and very late evening too....I feel a definite lack if I miss out!

When and why do you BE, if you do?
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When and Why do you BE?

I can't recall when or where I found the site, or what I could have been looking for since I am neither British nor married to one, heck I've never even been to the UK or Europe.

There was always a nice range of topics, so its always kept my interest.

I apparently joined in January 2006, so I supposed I am on year 8 almost.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:12 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

While away the time while I waits for bad guys to come out.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:21 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Jioned to ask a few questions about Canada had a few arguments and stayed, then flounced, then returned, then flounced, then returned, then had a break, then returned. Almost had another BE swansong but stayed around for the repartee.

Oh and i've met some rather splendid people on here.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:32 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how I found it nor why I signed up. My join date shows I was already in our current home and it was a year after I got my PR.

But it's nice to be able to be "among" Brits.

I check in daily.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a long term internet poster, the dbd33 id dates from 1999/2000, sometime around then. My work is undemanding, boring, and leaves me in front of an internet connected device for many hours a day, talkboards pass the time. I was a heavy user of the Guardian's talkboard and met, maybe, 100 people from there (including a member of the Montana Militia and a woman who had just been voted 10th most hated person in the UK and who was seething not to be more hated). That board closed down amid a sea of litigation and I went looking for another, winding up here and on notthetalk.com. Several other posters share that history though I think I'm the only one to have kept a consistent id.

I have a window open to this site most days.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

I was glad to find BE when we were about to activate PR a few years ago. I probably check in once a week or so.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 3:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I started off here in 2009 after my PR application had stalled for 4 years and I was looking for any advice as to what my next step should be. It was one of 2 or 3 different forums that I looked at but the only one that really resonated with me, so I joined a few weeks later and here I stayed.

There are a great bunch of people on here and I have met a few in RL and others that I have struck up friendships with remotely and wish I could meet in RL!

As I am not currently employed I find myself hanging around for the better part of the day, dipping in and out. BE is the 3rd site I look at when I get up and the last site I look at before retiring for the night - I think I must be addicted, lol.

Old Dec 27th 2013, 4:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I was introduced to BE by dbd33 in (check join date) after spending, like him, several years on the Grauniad Talk. My username on theTalk was ScottW49, the 49 indicating my age when I joined, so in 1999.

Back then I had no idea that he lived in the same country as I did (Canada for the slower members), let alone the same city (or almost the same same city for the ultra pedants).

I'll likely never truly forgive him.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 4:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It was my nan's idea. She thought it'd keep busy while I was up here.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I tend to tune in, very early am and very late evening too....I feel a definite lack if I miss BE
Joined while investigating immigration issues, became brave enough to post, and now still check in daily with my virtual life. Have also met up with a few really lovely people on here, and would very much like to meet up with a few others.

I still enjoy it, venture onto other boards very occasionally, and can usually get a good laugh or three every visit.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I think I joined after having to go to London to get a 1 time travel document thinking their had to be a much easier way to deal with a lost pr card - Then just sort of hung around on the periphery with the odd post every now and again
Old Dec 27th 2013, 11:04 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Joined in 2006 whilst investigating moving to Canada. I don't post much nowadays but I lurk a few times per week.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 11:16 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Joined in, oh, 2005 I think, after actually emigrating and more out of the spirit of companionship than anything else. Hung around ever since. Check daily but posting rate is declining I think. Met some posters in RL and am grateful for that!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

Check in daily for a browse but rarely post as rarely have anything worth saying... been here since 06, frequency of logins varying according to how likely immigrating actually was... been on more often this year as theres a possibility it's actually going to happen...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.