Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

when and where are poppies available?

when and where are poppies available?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default Re: when and where are poppies available?

Originally Posted by chumley
kittykeer
thanks for this
cant see where it says first day for general public was
27th though as I need to take this to our legion
the poppy maunaul is wrong if this is the case
much appreciate you pointing this out
many thanks
i cant find the link that said the 27th now.. lol..
i do know also the royal mint launched its poppy 25c coin on the 27th too..

http://www.mint.ca/poppy/
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
Popies are not really about standing behind our (current) troops...if you want to emote for that go to a car wash and pick up one of those magnetic yellow ribbon thingies thats been blasted off someone elses vehicles.

For me Poppies are about remembering the sacrifices made in the past by others so that we can enjoy our freedoms today, and to never forget the unimaginable horrors that wars create in the hope that we never go down that global path again.
Hi iaink

I agree with you for most of what you have said, but sadly come Remembrance Sunday some of our War Widows will be in their twenties. A fallen serviceperson is a fallen serviceperson no matter what their theatre of operations. Come the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month I will remember, and hopefully so will everybody else

Shaun
Armourer
Harrier Force
R.A.F.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:57 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarahandshaun
Hi iaink

I agree with you for most of what you have said, but sadly come Remembrance Sunday some of our War Widows will be in their twenties. A fallen serviceperson is a fallen serviceperson no matter what their theatre of operations. Come the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month I will remember, and hopefully so will everybody else

Shaun
Armourer
Harrier Force
R.A.F.
I will.

WWI was long before my time. WWII was too, but led to my birth.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:14 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
kittykeer
thanks for this
cant see where it says first day for general public was
27th though as I need to take this to our legion
the poppy maunaul is wrong if this is the case
much appreciate you pointing this out
many thanks
...but in Souv's (albeit out-of-date) link it did say that "Presentations of the poppies to dignitaries - for example, the Governor General, the Lieutenant Governors and Premiers - are normally made in advance of the official campaign start date" so there's nothing contradictory in that report. The last Friday in October is Friday of this week, so that tallies with your "two weekends before" guideline from the Legion.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:15 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Well said Iaink
Originally Posted by Souvenir
What Batty said.
Originally Posted by Steve_P
What Souvenir said.
Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes.
what they ^^^^ all said (or vvvv for Souvenir's benefit...)
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wankers, the lot of you.

It was all over 90 years ago. Get over it.

Why on earth do you think it's a good idea to commemorate the British dead troopers, rather than the German, Austrian, Turkish, French, Canadian, US, Italian, possibly a few Poles and plumber troops, in particular.

Is it because (with assistance) "we" ended up writing the "history" books?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:47 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Wankers, the lot of you.

Why on earth do you think it's a good idea to commemorate the British dead troopers, rather than the German, Austrian, Turkish, French, Canadian, US, Italian, possibly a few Poles and plumber troops, in particular.

I didnt think it was restricted to British troops, I thought it was rememberance for all who suffered in any conflict. Thats how I look at it and not Jingoism.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Wankers, the lot of you.

yes i can see us in canada not remembering canadian troops who have died...

and its not all 90 years ago.. last time i checked our troops were being killed today!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
yes i can see us in canada not remembering canadian troops who have died...

and its not all 90 years ago.. last time i checked our troops were being killed today!!!!
Actually I hate the phrase "our" troops. That is jingoistic.

My husnbands uncle and grandfather died in WWII, they were on the other side. Does that make it less tragic?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Actually I hate the phrase "our" troops. That is jingoistic.

My husnbands uncle and grandfather died in WWII, they were on the other side. Does that make it less tragic?
no it doesnt.. our troops in my eyes include everyone who is fighting for a good cause... whichever side they are on..

half of my family were german too... my nan was raised in eastern germany in the 30's and early 40's..

so it shows how your interpretation is just that.. and you assumed the worst..
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:40 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

have any stores in calgary got poppies up for sale yet?
nov 11th isnt far away...

time to think of our guys overseas...
Excuse my ignorance, what happens on November 11th and what is the significance of poppies?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:44 am

Wankers, the lot of you.

That's an uncharacteristically nasty post. I'll assume that more than one cork has been pulled this evening.

FWIW, I wear a poppy for all the decent, normal young men (and women) that have been sent to die by their governments.

Last edited by Souvenir; Oct 28th 2008 at 12:12 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by retsujou
Excuse my ignorance, what happens on November 11th and what is the significance of poppies?
The "official" end of World War I. The eleventh minute of the the eleventh hour of the eleventh month is a time to reflect on the pointless and very horrible mess that war is.

Poppies are the colour of blood.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

no it doesnt.. our troops in my eyes include everyone who is fighting for a good cause... whichever side they are on..

half of my family were german too... my nan was raised in eastern germany in the 30's and early 40's..

so it shows how your interpretation is just that.. and you assumed the worst..
I don't think its just my interpretation, "our" means possession doesnt it? It's usually used to mean "our boys" "our troops" ie one's countrymen. It isn't an encompasing phrase.
When I read your post I wondered if you meant Canadian or British.

It's hard to define what a good cause is at the time. History decides that for us.

By eastern Germany do you mean East Prussia? Thats where my inlaws are from. Its now Poland or Russia.

Last edited by fledermaus; Oct 28th 2008 at 1:44 pm. Reason: good cause clause added
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The "official" end of World War I. The eleventh minute of the the eleventh hour of the eleventh month is a time to reflect on the pointless and very horrible mess that war is.

Poppies are the colour of blood.
Poppies grow on waste land, and after the devastation of the bombing in Flanders they were the only things growing there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.