British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   What's with Tim Hortons? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/whats-tim-hortons-533171/)

rgilbert Apr 29th 2008 7:44 pm

What's with Tim Hortons?

I have seen many posts about how great Tim Hortons. I have seen the Tim Hortons stores when in Canada. I have never been into them or drank their coffee, hot chocolate etc. Am I really missing something?

I'm over in Canada again in July so wondering whether I need to try myself a Tim Hortons.

TheCanes Apr 29th 2008 7:49 pm

Re: What's with Tim Hortons?

Originally Posted by rgilbert (Post 6284740)
I have seen many posts about how great Tim Hortons. I have seen the Tim Hortons stores when in Canada. I have never been into them or drank their coffee, hot chocolate etc. Am I really missing something?

I'm over in Canada again in July so wondering whether I need to try myself a Tim Hortons.

OMG!!! You've never been to Tim's??? :eek:

they do the most amazing cinnamon buns, and I also love their vanilla coffee!!! Definitely one reason to move to Canada (although not very good for the waistline. ;)

mc_dub Apr 29th 2008 7:50 pm

Their doughnuts are nice but you're not missing a damn thing, just that North Americans have a weird fetish for coffee and this one is a purely Canadian firm named after a hockey player

TheCanes Apr 29th 2008 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mc_dub (Post 6284763)
Their doughnuts are nice but you're not missing a damn thing, just that North Americans have a weird fetish for coffee and this one is a purely Canadian firm named after a hockey player

I'm shocked!!! :eek: :blink:

mc_dub Apr 29th 2008 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanes (Post 6284766)
I'm shocked!!! :eek: :blink:

I'm not, don't understand their fascination for wings and ribs either

walkerv05 Apr 29th 2008 7:54 pm

its the canadian way of life!!!:p going to timmies for a double double, (DOUBLE CREAM AND SUGAR) and their doughnuts are fab too:)

LorraineG Apr 29th 2008 8:05 pm

Sour creme glazed Timbits - does it for me every time!

edsask Apr 29th 2008 8:20 pm

I was mystified by the mystique of Timmy's too, but then I had a chocolate dip doughnut and I thought I'd gone to heaven. The coffee's good, too.

canbritdenise Apr 29th 2008 8:32 pm

I think to gain citizenship you have to like timms. Its the law:p

TheCanes Apr 29th 2008 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by canbritdenise (Post 6284940)
I think to gain citizenship you have to like timms. Its the law:p

In that case we should get citizenship now, let alone PR. ;)

wonderwoman Apr 29th 2008 8:46 pm

Mmmmmm, Sausage and egg breakfast sandwich, with a large vanilla coffee, a very guilty pleasure after the kids have gone to school........or maybe a honey dip donut or timbits..........Mmmm

Nanook Apr 29th 2008 8:49 pm

Canadian born and bred and I've never tasted anything from Tim Hortons,
but I do remember watching him play hockey....:lol:

clynnog Apr 29th 2008 8:51 pm

I have never been into them or drank their coffee, hot chocolate etc. Am I really missing something?

To me the coffee is very bland and under-brewed (if that is such a term). I sometimes have a muffin, but the doughnuts leave me cold.

Their coffee is sort of like Molson Canadian/Labatts Blue....bland and not too challenging.

My opinion is not held by many true blue Canajuns.

Owning a TDL franchise is a license to print money, IIRC. Their franchise fees are amongst the highest in the business.

Novocastrian Apr 29th 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 6285026)
Canadian born and bred and I've never tasted anything from Tim Hortons,
but I do remember watching him play hockey....:lol:

Score one out of two then. I've never been in a Timmies and I don't watch hockey.

Elaine B. Apr 29th 2008 8:54 pm

BTW Tim Hortons is now American owned.

pennyhp Apr 29th 2008 8:55 pm

Half and half - half coffee half hot chocolate with a maple top doughnut.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D

FlirtyKnickers Apr 29th 2008 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6285044)
Score one out of two then. I've never been in a Timmies and I don't watch hockey.

Timbits Rule...it's tradition...leave airport head for the nearest Tim Horton for Coffee and Timbits...:wub: your holiday has started...total bliss yum yum!!!

Co-Writer Apr 29th 2008 9:03 pm

Timbits Rule...it's tradition...leave airport head for the nearest Tim Horton for Coffee and Timbits... your holiday has started...total bliss yum yum!!!
Leave airport...head to Tim Hortons, coffee and a raisin bran muffin....heaven!!

Elaine B. Apr 29th 2008 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by rabc0077 (Post 6285069)
Timbits Rule...it's tradition...leave airport head for the nearest Tim Horton for Coffee and Timbits...:wub: your holiday has started...total bliss yum yum!!!

The only reason I ever go into Tim Horton's is to get Timbits for my little boy otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Little D Apr 29th 2008 9:04 pm

I think it's a bit over rated. The coffee's nothing special, the donuts are pretty nice though. The queues through the drive-thru usually put me off going there.

MCrocker Apr 29th 2008 9:24 pm

No doubt that lots of people like it. The Q's (lines) are testament to that. I'm not a fan of the coffee and will get mine from Starbuck's if I can't find a Good Earth which in my humble opinion is great coffee.

Timmies sponsors lots of kids hockey, provides free stuff for them after a game and of course if you are RCMP you apparently get your beverage gratis - good stuff:)

bandit Apr 29th 2008 9:32 pm

From what I saw when I did my reccie, the only did brewed coffee? Not really my cup of tea (ha ha)...!

So I can't say anything good about them, as I don't like brewed coffee.

If what i said is true, that they are now owned by a US company, I find that really sad , as I understood them to be a good ol' fashioned Canadian firm....

Bx

mc_dub Apr 29th 2008 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by MCrocker (Post 6285191)
of course if you are RCMP you apparently get your beverage gratis - good stuff:)

Isn't that true of anywhere that sells doughnuts?! :rofl:

Elaine B. Apr 29th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by bandit (Post 6285220)

If what i said is true, that they are now owned by a US company, I find that really sad , as I understood them to be a good ol' fashioned Canadian firm....

Bx

They are owned by the same people that own Wendys. Also did you know the Hudson Bay Company is also owned by an American.:eek:

bananahammock Apr 29th 2008 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mc_dub (Post 6284763)

^^^ What he said ^^^ yuk
:thumbsup:

MCrocker Apr 29th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by mc_dub (Post 6285223)
Isn't that true of anywhere that sells doughnuts?! :rofl:

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.......:sneaky::lol:

Nanook Apr 29th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6285044)

I can't stand hockey, I think at the time it was the players I liked.......

I'll shut up now, giving my age away:lol:

AmyDavid Apr 29th 2008 9:40 pm

I do like their Ice Caps but the coffee is nothing special though it is much better than Starbucks which is YUK. I had a tea at Tim Hortons the other day and it was so sweet it was VILE! So if anyone is buying, I will have an Ice Cap (any flavour) with a blueberry muffin. Ta :)

FlirtyKnickers Apr 29th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 6285261)
I do like their Ice Caps but the coffee is nothing special though it is much better than Starbucks which is YUK. I had a tea at Tim Hortons the other day and it was so sweet it was VILE! So if anyone is buying, I will have an Ice Cap (any flavour) with a blueberry muffin. Ta :)

Have to agree about Starbucks, their coffee is total pants, it's Tim Hortons for me everytime.........:wub:

MCrocker Apr 29th 2008 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by rabc0077 (Post 6285290)
Have to agree about Starbucks, their coffee is total pants, it's Tim Hortons for me everytime.........:wub:

In your opinion........:unsure:

FlirtyKnickers Apr 29th 2008 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by MCrocker (Post 6285316)
In your opinion........:unsure:

My opinion wins..im a women on the edge...:rofl: coffee keeps me normal:confused:

Elaine B. Apr 29th 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by rabc0077 (Post 6285328)
My opinion wins..im a women on the edge...:rofl: coffee keeps me normal:confused:

Normal:rofl:

FlirtyKnickers Apr 29th 2008 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6285332)
Normal:rofl:

Sort of:rofl::rofl:

MCrocker Apr 29th 2008 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by rabc0077 (Post 6285347)
Sort of:rofl::rofl:

In that case I concede graciously.....:)

FlirtyKnickers Apr 29th 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by MCrocker (Post 6285356)
In that case I concede graciously.....:)

But why...:blink:

Elaine B. Apr 29th 2008 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by rabc0077 (Post 6285366)
But why...:blink:

you're just lookin' for fight Mrs!!

FlirtyKnickers Apr 29th 2008 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6285370)
you're just lookin' for fight Mrs!!

So am not:blink:

Elaine B. Apr 29th 2008 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by rabc0077 (Post 6285377)
So am not:blink:

just watch yourself luv:sneaky:

FlirtyKnickers Apr 29th 2008 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6285385)
just watch yourself luv:sneaky:

oh im shakin in my sneakers:rofl:

Elaine B. Apr 29th 2008 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by rabc0077 (Post 6285388)
oh im shakin in my sneakers:rofl:

:rofl::rofl: