Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my opinion they are right at the top of the list of bands that arrived 5 minutes too late at the end of the 1980's and should have been huge, but didn't quite establish themselves enough before grunge came along and smothered classic, blues-based hard rock. Their debut album released in December 1986, might have got more attention were it not that 1987 was such a crazy year for albums - including Appetite, 1987, and Hysteria - those three alone made it probably the best year ever for epic hard rock albums, and its not like those were the only hard rock albums released in 1987. That said, Tesla's debut album, Mechanical Resonance, is definitely in my top ten all-time albums, and there isn't a filler track on the album.

Joe Bonamassa is right at the top of acts to see (for the first time) this year, I missed a chance to see him a couple of years ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

You're back in the UK now, right? If you're into the blues, go to see Samantha Fish if you get a chance - she is over playing a few dates in May this year.
I'll have to give Tesla a whirl if you rank them that highly. Having said that, not a great fan of Bonamassa, although I can hear why he's so highly regarded. Kicking myself for missing out on Mark Knopfler's upcoming dates at RAH, have only seen him once (Dire Straits days) and he is now one of my favourite musicians of all time. I don't get out to see much live music these days.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my opinion they are right at the top of the list of bands that arrived 5 minutes too late at the end of the 1980's and should have been huge, but didn't quite establish themselves enough before grunge came along and smothered classic, blues-based hard rock. Their debut album released in December 1986, might have got more attention were it not that 1987 was such a crazy year for albums - including Appetite, 1987, and Hysteria - those three alone made it probably the best year ever for epic hard rock albums, and its not like those were the only hard rock albums released in 1987. That said, Tesla's debut album, Mechanical Resonance, is definitely in my top ten all-time albums, and there isn't a filler track on the album.

Joe Bonamassa is right at the top of acts to see (for the first time) this year, I missed a chance to see him a couple of years ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

You're back in the UK now, right? If you're into the blues, go to see Samantha Fish if you get a chance - she is over playing a few dates in May this year.

Yes, saw him a few years ago.. amazing. If you like blues (I've always loved traditional blues.. along with a miriad of other genres) you might want to look at this For those (like me) who don't have Sirius, you can listen online https://player.siriusxm.ca
https://player.siriusxm.ca/on-demand...c6c2122e/audio
World renowned two-time GRAMMY-nominated blues artist Joe Bonamassa will host a new weekly show, Different Shades of Blue with Joe Bonamassa, on SiriusXM’s B.B. King’s Bluesville channel.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 6th 2019 at 3:39 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 3:47 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I saw the Stones at Knebworth and the era's about right but I don't remember Lynyrd Skynyrd. Pink Floyd were good at Knebworth, quadraphonic sound and acid. I watched Yes at Reading from the lighting tower, there was a sea of people between the tower and the stage dancing to Yours is no Disgrace and even then it seemed too weird to me "it's ****ing Yes".
From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concer...nebworth_House)

In 1976 Lynyrd Skynyrd performed at Knebworth on the same day as The Rolling Stones and are widely acknowledged to have "played The Stones off the park".
Pink Floyd were amazing both indoors and out...

Dancing to Yours is no Disgrace? Good grief! Roundabout ok, but that???

I spent a couple of Sunday evenings in the late '70s in a small pub somewhere near High Wycombe where the local band were informally joined by Rick Wakeman, Alan White and Steve Howe. That was fun, sitting on a bar-stool a couple of metres from Steve Howe when he obligingly played "The Fish".

Edit: Not "The Fish", but "The Clap". Getting mixed up with Chris Squire...

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Mar 6th 2019 at 3:59 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Goodbye Summer, 1971 inc. -

America
Atomic Rooster
Cochise
Faces
Lindisfarne
Mott the Hoople
Quintessence
The Grease Band
The Who

Others included Hawkwind & Pink Fairies.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't true, there are lots of reasons for me not remembering things.

On bizarre band encounters in pubs, I saw Lindisfarne a number of times, once at Newcastle City Hall and once, unexpectedly, in the pub at the end of my street in Toronto,
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If we're going down the bizarre band encounters then I'm putting my claim in, lol

David Bowie 1968/9, Bromley Library Gardens, on the bandstand... with an audience of 1 - me... and then later at The Three Tuns pub both on his own and with 'The Strawbs'
My meeting with Queen doesn't count as they weren't actually playing at the time 'Platform 1 Club, Bristol' .. nor bumping into Phil Collins early one morning in Tsim Sha Tsui Hong Kong... or Bill Oddie outside Raffles in Singapore lol..

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 6th 2019 at 4:26 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Suzi Quatro, playing to her Aussie audience with the charming opener 'I'm going to f**k the lot of you!'
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:33 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't true, there are lots of reasons for me not remembering things.
No, I wasn't going there at all, it's just that I've seen the Stones twice outdoors, and I'm blown if I can remember where the other gig was... Not Hyde Park, that much I do know.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No, I wasn't going there at all, it's just that I've seen the Stones twice outdoors, and I'm blown if I can remember where the other gig was... Not Hyde Park, that much I do know.
Was it at the Western Australian Cricket Association ground early 70s? You were probably the one who passed me the joint, I had no idea what it was
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw them on the Goat's Head Soup tour, I thought I'd better go as they were knocking on a bit and it might be the last chance. Wiki tells me that was in 1973.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a fair few of the bands mentioned by others, the most disappointing being Supertramp. Hammersmith Odeon, front row circle seats, just after Crisis? What crisis? was released. I might have as well stayed home with headphones on, they were note perfect throughout the entire set... Boring.
I'm in Ottawa where amongst locals especially those say 45-60 years old or so, Supertramp is still huge. I don't understand it. Once you get past Breakfast in America and maybe bits of Crime of the Century there isn't a lot to get excited at in a concert setting.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I saw them on the Goat's Head Soup tour, I thought I'd better go as they were knocking on a bit and it might be the last chance. Wiki tells me that was in 1973.
You should get your money back then

Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:52 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Was it at the Western Australian Cricket Association ground early 70s? You were probably the one who passed me the joint, I had no idea what it was
Sorry sos, not guilty on that one. Though I guess the WACA is a pretty good venue? I've seen it, but there wasn't anyone in at the time.

When I was still mostly a lad, Fat Reg from Pinner having gotten into Watford FC used to put on Saturday concerts out of season. Saw loads of bands there.

My "missing" Stones outdoor gig must have been Wembley Stadium, 1982.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:54 pm
Concierge

Sorry sos, not guilty on that one. Though I guess the WACA is a pretty good venue? I've seen it, but there wasn't anyone in at the time.

When I was still mostly a lad, Fat Reg from Pinner having gotten into Watford FC used to put on Saturday concerts out of season. Saw loads of bands there.

My "missing" Stones outdoor gig must have been Wembley Stadium, 1982.
I'm glad it wasn't you, this bloke was as ugly as a hat full of arseholes.

The WACA was ok as far as Perth concert venues went, which wasn't very far then! Things have improved somewhat.

I never got to Wembley Stadium, would have liked to.
Old Mar 6th 2019, 4:59 pm
Gloves off

I think I have posted this somewhere before, but for those that are into the Stones, check out Martin Scorsese's film Shine A Light, it's like having them play in your front room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.